Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retire
Prefer to not retire out of the USA 13 48.15%
Prefer to retire out of the USA 6 22.22%
Hawaii is the closest I would be to retiring out of the USA 2 7.41%
Undecided/ Either location would be great 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times

Advertisements

Have you ever thought about retiring out of the country? Would you ever?

I came across reading about retirement locations, and actually found it surprising of not many mentions of Europe, Australia, South Africa, and islands ( like New Zeland, or even to include Hawaii... which is within the country).

Welcome to elaborate on this topic, thanks

EVEN IF YOUR NOT A SENIOR CITIZEN/ AGE OF RETIREMENT, THE POLL I CREATED IS POSSIBLE TO BE ANSWERED BY ANYONE OF ANY AGE.

As I've just notice, there are few similar threads to this one. Though the one I've created do have a existing poll.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...etirement.html

Last edited by timeofseasons; 08-24-2009 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I am looking at retirement in Costa Rica or Panama. May be able to get cheap property...decent weather, affordable living.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Why do you keep posting the same thing in multiple threads? Are you a troll? Fishing for clients?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:59 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Why do you keep posting the same thing in multiple threads? Are you a troll? Fishing for clients?
The retirement threads were all related topics, where I simply post how surprise I'am off less citizens considering Europe etc.... After repeating the post about 2 or 3 times I decided why not create a simple thread.
I don't really understand your question.

Observing polls and answers

Old 08-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I think you could get better info if you drilled down the choices a bit. Looks like we only have 2 choices **US or non-US.** This doesn't tell or offer me much. (Not even a way to segregate North America, as CDN and MEX have certain draws but are nominally 'international' destinations, tho are truly 'out-of-the-country')

Maybe something about a 'developed' country vs non; or a US Protectorate, or Americas vs. Europe, Asia, ... or English speaking vs non.

or a poll for reasons for international retirement;
1) cultural benefit
2) cost of living
3) health care expenses
4) wander lust
5) legal reasons
6) family

I really enjoyed my international work assignments, and they were good for the family. 'Living' there is a different story, but one I would try.

I will venture to guess less than 5% of US retirees are considering a 'foreign' retirement destination, so not sure your pole will provide much data. (Not knowing what you are trying to determine)

USA folks are generally much less comfortable in foreign situations, than are most of the world. We are extremely hindered by our ineffective educational system and lack of world information (& interest) from news sources.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Have you ever thought about retiring out of the country?
Without being overly prescriptive, "Not for a minute!" My wife has but I'll not have it. I've lived in three other countries and while this one has it's problems, growing pains and issues, it's home and head-and-shoulders above the rest.

That's all!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:30 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I was seriously considering retiring to Canada....until, by chance, I found out that I am "inadmissable"!

In my youth (over 30 years ago), I was convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol. No accident or anything occurred, I just drove one night when I shouldn't have.

I haven't received so much as a parking ticket since then, but it doesn't matter....a DUI, no matter how long ago, makes you persona non grata in Canada.

I'm just glad I found this out before I had anything, other than my thoughts, invested in it!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I was seriously considering retiring to Canada....until, by chance, I found out that I am "inadmissable"!
Ditto but not for the same reason. Seems I don't earn enough to make it worthwhile for Canada to use what money I do bring into the country. Six months, at most, is what I'm told.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:47 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I think you could get better info if you drilled down the choices a bit. Looks like we only have 2 choices **US or non-US.** This doesn't tell or offer me much. (Not even a way to segregate North America, as CDN and MEX have certain draws but are nominally 'international' destinations, tho are truly 'out-of-the-country')

Maybe something about a 'developed' country vs non; or a US Protectorate, or Americas vs. Europe, Asia, ... or English speaking vs non.

or a poll for reasons for international retirement;
1) cultural benefit
2) cost of living
3) health care expenses
4) wander lust
5) legal reasons
6) family
I will take StealthRabbit's cue and start this thread off on a new direction (hopefully).

I currently live overseas (Malaysia) and have so for 13+ years. I am considering retirement here because:

1) cultural benefit : neutral
Both USA and Malaysia have their cultural pros and cons. I am a minority in this culture and that has benefits, but, of course, some minor drawbacks.

2) cost of living : + to Malaysia; everthing is cheaper except items that I do not need or want (expensive car; lots of alcohol, etc.)

3) health care expenses : +++ to Malaysia (try US$30 per month health insurance versus, what?? > US$1,000; try $300 colonoscopy vs. $2,500 in USA)

4) wander lust : + to Malaysia; no desire to run around since I did a lot of that while young; Malaysia is IN the tropics so no need to go visit the tropics for vacation

5) legal reasons : + to Malaysia; Foreign Earned Income Exclusion....YES!!

6) family : + to USA; yes, it is far from the relatives and that is the ONE downside; to visit we have to pony up big $$$; SKYPE voip has been great, however, for keeping in touch; in fact, my parents say that I call them more than the other siblings; it is just that I only get to visit face-to-face every two years.

StealthRabbit missed two big ones for me: sports and, ahem, scenery. Malaysian TV carries these futbol leagues: English, German, Spanish, French and Italian, plus the Champions League and Europa League. Additionally, they carry the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamerica. As a futbol fan, I like that. I can scan the internet once a year to see who won the "Super Bowl". Or the "World Series". Hahahaha....love that one.

As to scenery, I enjoy seeing attractive Asian women everyday.

Whoops on the last one!!

Last edited by Teak; 08-25-2009 at 01:05 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 12:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
how bout never does never work for you?
i was 7 years total out of the country never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement