Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,448,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I ask that last question because I've always wondered how one half of a couple who has relied on the other half to do things for them through many years of married life, survives on their own when they are old and the spouse dies.
The daughter. (Or son)

Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 03:39 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,413,823 times
There is a much cheaper way to live on ships than luxury liners. Consider living on a merchant ship. Cost are about 12-130 American dollars a day. Have a look at these websites to give you idea of the nice accommodations. Notice that the rooms are much bigger than normal cruise economy rooms. You have steward service and full meals. They are much cheaper because you are not paying for all the fluff luxuries that you may never use. In addition, there are many more merchant ships and really exotic locations that you can see, real cheap. Freighter Cruises and Travel - Round the World Cruises
http://www.freighterworld.com/

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-23-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,126,090 times
Quote:
Organized activities and adhering to a schedule don't appeal to me on the water or in a retirement home which is why I don't do cruise vacations or tour vacations so spending even more time living like that is very unattractive. I eat when and what I want to and eating with others for all meals is not something I'd be interested in.
Adhering to a schedule and organized activities.
First, while there ARE organized activities, many activities are totally on your own. The pool is open from x to y; you use it when you wish. There's something going on in the "showroom" most of the day and evening, but you come and go as you wish; join or not join. The schedule is there for your convenience, not a requirement for you to participate. I ADORE cruising and would love to find a way to do it like the concept of this thread. But I think there's too much downtime and time needing to find somewhere else to stay for a day or two.

Meals
Don't like the dining room menu? go to the buffet or the food service at the pool for the standard pool-side menu of burgers, etc. Don't like the menu? order room service (nope, no extra charge). The only time you'd have to eat with others would be in the main dining room. Most other places you could find a solo place to sit and eat.

Quote:
Unless I'm ill/disabled and need a nursing home, there's just no appeal for me for either a cruise or a retirement home as you describe it. I will not give up my car unless it's pried out of my hands.
Car/independence
I totally agree with you on giving up your freedom. But that's exactly what a retirement home is about - you don't need to give up your car or stop going places. You just have someone for those times when you DO need. Nursing home is a different story and shouldn't be in this discussion as there's no nursing home on water to compare to or choose.

Quote:
Is a retirement home, as you described it, a choice or a necessity for the people who live in one? That's the part I'm not understanding. What's the difference between living in your own house/apartment/condo in a retirement community (where there are activities) and living in a retirement home besides having your meals prepared? Is it cheaper? Are the people not able to call for medical help themselves or cook for themselves and that's why they choose it? Have they passed the age where they are able to drive? Or do they just want to be taken care of?
I had a dear friend, Mary, who was one of the most independent women I know, same age as my grandmother. Her husband died and kids were grown with families of their own. She had a comfortable income as a retired schoolteacher. She was absolutely capable of taking care of herself; but she was aging, 70. She sold her main house that she'd raised her kids in, and moved into a retirement home - Fully paid for the rest of her days regardless of the level of care she needed. She "bought" a 2 bedroom apartment that had it's own patio, parking space etc. What she got was complete maintenance (like in a condo) and, IF SHE NEEDED it, she could have a meal brought to her. She had an intercom to the main admin area for when SHE wanted something and she had a couple of "panic buttons" around the apt. Her grandkids were permitted to stay overnight and she had everything in the kitchen she could need. She didn't have to clear it with anyone if she went somewhere or stayed overnight. She was as independent as she wanted to be. But when the time came that she needed help, it was there for her; whether a bout with the flu or worse. She had security as well as independence. Hmm, sounds like life aboard a ship

I wish I could live on a cruise ship for a year or two.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
Sounds like assisted livng. There are lots of those but they are really not for the bedridden that I have sen. I visited several firends of my family that lived in different ones and it was pretty nice. kind of lie living in a hotel with much more staffing to assist.I think we will in coming years see many new things for retirees with the numbers coming and the wealth they hold.Not sure a cruise ship would work as you are talking major expenses to have staff and facilites on board;plus the cost of changing when in drydock for maintenance and such.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 PM

14,333 posts, read 14,640,203 times
I've cruised a great deal, and as much as I enjoy it, I think it would get old after awhile. I cruised for 3 weeks once, it was awesome but for months, I think 4 or 5 weeks would be my max!

I was on the Royal Princess, met Lorraine Artz, she is onboard 10 months out of the year. Her husband was in commercial real estate, owned the building Princess was headquartered in on the west coast. I think she has over 4,000 days now. I met her in 2005 on my 3 week trip, saw her again in 2007 for a 2 week Med trip and was shocked she remembered me!

Cunard has had some regular passengers, too and I think Holland America. Generally the cruise lines that constantly change their itineraries, move their ships around so you can get on and have some variety. Princess, Cunard and Holland America still do the 90 day world cruises every year. I've always wanted to do a portion of a world cruise, they do sell them in segments! I probably can't afford it anymore than I could to live on one instead of an apartment!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,949,336 times
Laura, I can't answer many of your questions because I haven't retired on a cruise ship, though I'd like to try the new Oasis of the Sea which, from all appearances, is a veritable "city on the water" with 6,000 passengers and, believe it or not, a "Central Park" with inside balconies overlooking it, an outdoor aquatic park show and a "Boardwalk" lined on each side with bistros, specialty shops and other assorted shopping fare. But I tell can you unequivocally that it is definitely not cheaper than living in an apartment. Watch the video below and prepare to be astonished, not to mention enchanted.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/275487...s_of_the_seas/

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-23-2009 at 10:33 PM..

Old 10-30-2009, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,854 times
I'd love to retire on a cruise ship circumnavigating the globe! But it is either too expensive (the private luxury ship) or too difficult to arrange back to back trips without having to fly from port to port to embark, all for an affordable yearly cost. I found an acceptable alternative. For less than the cost of a traditional land retirement community, a couple can own a condo on a beautiful mid-size cruise ship that you share with other condo owners, a ship community that is run as an Independent living facility (with doctors, nurses, and other medical conveniences), enjoy ocean front living year round, cruising on week-ends and a longer yearly cruise, move out of harm's way when hurricane strikes, enjoy all the amenities that a cruise ship offers, all for a very reasonable all-inclusive monthly fee - all meals, housekeeping, cruising, docking, utilities, crews, staffs, phone, internet.... located at Miami close to all conveniences. Sunshine and warm weather year round. Imagine proudly showing off your ship to your grand kids when they come to visit - there are some units reserved just for the use by owner's visitors, and visitors' meals are included too! Yes, one does not get to cruise all year round, but this is much much more affordable and you still get to cruise on week-ends! Sure beats sitting at the same old couch everyday, or have to plan and book cruise trips and fly and pack each and every time.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:45 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,711,234 times
Neat discussion, when I get to retire (God willing), I'd love to be able to cruise year-round. There is also the option of buying a private residence on a cruise ship such as "The World" The World - Home . "The World" basically offers every amenity that a regular cruise ship offers except you won't be surrounded by thousands of "tourists", it's most like a private condominium building. Be prepared to shuck out at least a million for your own private residence though, but hey if you have it, why not?

Old 11-19-2009, 03:19 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,949,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There is also the option of buying a private residence on a cruise ship such as "The World" The World - Home . "The World" basically offers every amenity that a regular cruise ship offers except you won't be surrounded by thousands of "tourists", it's most like a private condominium building. Be prepared to shuck out at least a million for your own private residence though, but hey if you have it, why not?
Quote:
Studio rates for two guests – which include dining, select beverages, port charges and gratuities – range from $1300 to $ 2300 per night, according to the season and travel dates.
Too rich for my blood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement