Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:35 PM

956 posts, read 2,499,901 times

Advertisements

Charles, You'd be surprised how many retired folks "jump ship" and head to warmer areas, children, etc.
I think my main concern will be living near a major airport so we can travel. I would love to live near my kids and grandkids. That will be a major decision for us when the time comes, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
I'll be bouncing between several places...Lincoln County, eastern Oregon, eastern Washington, Ruidoso, NM, and finally east TN. All depending upon weather and family happenings.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:44 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Everybody makes excellent suggestions. I find myself agreeing with many parts. I love the water and the ocean, but having lived in So. Cal for 25 yrs I will probably explore Southern California/ San Diego for retirement. A fishing buddy retired to PNW on an island just outside of Seattle, the pictures and stories he tells is just down right heavenly - a fisherman's paradise, so I'll explore there as well.

Having say that, I'll also like to travel the world to see other cultures and how they live, and fish when I can. Would definitely go to Costa Rica, Panama, but also New Zealand & Australia. Here in the States, I plan to go fish in N. Carolina for giant blufin, the GOM for big tuna, and Alasaka just for its shear beauty. Other than that, I'll be happy to accompany the wife whereever she wants to go & see, just my way of thanking her for putting up with me all these years.

Charlies brought up a good point, that is money. Most folks when retired do not move from one low cost area to a higher cost area. People 'down size' their houses as well as their expenses. If this is true, then I'd say most posters here will find themselves retire in the greaer Huntsville area. The key is to have a good investment profolio so you can afford to move somewhere that maybe a higher cost of living when you retire.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
Charles, You'd be surprised how many retired folks "jump ship" and head to warmer areas, children, etc.
I think my main concern will be living near a major airport so we can travel. I would love to live near my kids and grandkids. That will be a major decision for us when the time comes, I'm sure.
According to

Where to Retire: America's Best and ... - Google Books

only 3 to 10 percent of people move out of state when they retire and less the 20% move anywhere at all.

So, the overwhelming majority of people don't move when they retire - probably for many of the reasons I mentioned.

But the original post asks where we would move assuming we did move. Somewhere expensive. Why? Medicaid planning. I'd want to own a very expensive home, not necessarily a large home. When nursing home time comes around, a primary residence is not a countable asset when it is time for the government to pay for my nursing home. Medicaid planning involves giving away all countable assets (bank accounts, stocks, etc) to people like your kids. And you want to do it before the look back period. Your primary residence doesn't count. You could have a $2M home and qualify for Medicaid while the guy in the next room over - who has 1/3 net worth you have, is spending down his assets for the nursing home.

Medicaid Planning

The Homestead and Medicaid Planning - Seniorlaw

Last edited by Charles; 10-18-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 02:49 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Northern California.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:03 PM

956 posts, read 2,499,901 times
Good points Charles. I guess I have my Realtor hat on, thinking of all my past clients that retire and move on to warmer/greener pastures. I'm surprised the numbers are as low as they are. I'm 'outta here when it's time. See the world, like HB2HSV. (without the fishing, lol) Costa Rica would be amazing!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:27 PM

801 posts, read 2,211,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
According to

Where to Retire: America's Best and ... - Google Books

only 3 to 10 percent of people move out of state when they retire and less the 20% move anywhere at all.

So, the overwhelming majority of people don't move when they retire - probably for many of the reasons I mentioned.

But the original post asks where we would move assuming we did move. Somewhere expensive. Why? Medicaid planning. I'd want to own a very expensive home, not necessarily a large home. When nursing home time comes around, a primary residence is not a countable asset when it is time for the government to pay for my nursing home. Medicaid planning involves giving away all countable assets (bank accounts, stocks, etc) to people like your kids. And you want to do it before the look back period. Your primary residence doesn't count. You could have a $2M home and qualify for Medicaid while the guy in the next room over - who has 1/3 net worth you have, is spending down his assets for the nursing home.

Medicaid Planning

The Homestead and Medicaid Planning - Seniorlaw
Charles...maybe I am missing something (and I haven't read the links you provided), but would you be prepared to pay the property tax on an expensive home? I can think of places where the annual property tax bill on a $2 million home would exceed $50,000.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:37 PM

256 posts, read 605,261 times
Asheville, NC
Georgetown, DC
Savannah, GA
Italy (Rome, Lake Como, Sardinia, Tuscany)
Napa, CA

A boy can dream.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Charles...maybe I am missing something (and I haven't read the links you provided), but would you be prepared to pay the property tax on an expensive home? I can think of places where the annual property tax bill on a $2 million home would exceed $50,000.
The $2M was just an example; I doubt I would buy a home that expensive in today's dollars. However, if it were in Huntsville, and the home was $2M, then the property tax would be around $11,600/year. If in Southern California, the property taxes would be around $20K/year.

So, yes I would be prepared to pay the property tax on an expensive home. I would know that going in and figure it in to the overall affordability.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,584,860 times
Okay-

1) Somewhere near an international airport so I can travel easily and see the grandkids/daughter/family
2) Orlando area, but maybe closer to Tampa
3) South Carolina
4) Houston, TX
5) France, near Paris (my dream cause I really am a world traveler)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement