U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
 
2,845 posts, read 3,934,653 times
Reputation: 3234

Advertisements

This just in, Forbes magazine has listed the following as their top ten foreign retirement destinations:

1. Austria
2. Thailand
3. Italy
4. Panama
5. Ireland
6. Australia
7. France
8. Malaysia
9. Spain
10. Canada

Interesting for me for I live in #8, Malaysia. What they say about this country is:

Exotic mix of Chinese and Islamic culture, welcoming to retirees, low costs and spectacular coastline make Malaysia a strong contender for the budget-conscious seeking a retreat, but also increasingly for the wealthy wanting an Asian tax haven. Kuala Lumpur is not the easiest place to live in, but, for health care reasons, avoid straying too far into the beautifully remote islands.

Downside: racial tensions and emerging-nation infrastruct

I am puzzled by the "emerging-nation infrastructure" dig.

best-retirement-havens: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2009, 02:05 AM
 
13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Reputation: 20477
Austria?! Heavens, my ancestors went to quite a lot of trouble to get outta there!
I know it can be hard or impossible to move to another country if you want to emigrate and work. If you're bringing assets and plan to retire, it it different? Wouldn't you still be expecting to sign up for the local health insurance/needs?
Interesting list, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Airstrip 1, Oceania
1,008 posts, read 2,596,527 times
Reputation: 1132
I think Forbes assumes its readership to be rich ! To qualify for a retiree's visa to Australia for example, you need to invest A$500,000 in government bonds, have an additional A$500,000 in assets, have a pension of A$50,000 pa and comprehensive private medical insurance. After all that the visa is only good for 4 years then you have to re-qualify to extend it. Piece of cake if you're a millionaire otherwise forget it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 05:48 PM
 
2,845 posts, read 3,934,653 times
Reputation: 3234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
I think Forbes assumes its readership to be rich ! To qualify for a retiree's visa to Australia for example, you need to invest A$500,000 in government bonds, have an additional A$500,000 in assets, have a pension of A$50,000 pa and comprehensive private medical insurance. After all that the visa is only good for 4 years then you have to re-qualify to extend it. Piece of cake if you're a millionaire otherwise forget it !
Malaysia has lower investment requirements, but yeah, Forbes does seem to target the bankers, lawyers, and trust funders for its readership. Perhaps they should come out with a Top Ten list for middle- to lower-class retirees:

1. Central Mississippi
2. Northern North Dakota
3. Bangladesh
4. North Korea
5. Afghanistan (might have some abandoned villages where property is, well, cheap)
6. Zimbabwe
7. Haiti
8. Kaintuckee
9. Albania
10. The Moon (NASA might be looking for volunteers for a manned lunar station)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,133 posts, read 20,814,828 times
Reputation: 8293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
This just in, Forbes magazine has listed the following as their top ten foreign retirement destinations:

1. Austria
2. Thailand
3. Italy
4. Panama
5. Ireland
6. Australia
7. France
8. Malaysia
9. Spain
10. Canada

Interesting for me for I live in #8, Malaysia. What they say about this country is:

Exotic mix of Chinese and Islamic culture, welcoming to retirees, low costs and spectacular coastline make Malaysia a strong contender for the budget-conscious seeking a retreat, but also increasingly for the wealthy wanting an Asian tax haven. Kuala Lumpur is not the easiest place to live in, but, for health care reasons, avoid straying too far into the beautifully remote islands.

Downside: racial tensions and emerging-nation infrastruct

I am puzzled by the "emerging-nation infrastructure" dig.

best-retirement-havens: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Forbes Lists seem to be made up by first year journalism students
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 03:33 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
531 posts, read 1,804,957 times
Reputation: 302
Is there anyone out there who moved from the U.S. to retire in Canada? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences. Since all my grandparents were originally from Canada, it would almost be like "going home". Well, almost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 AM
 
Location: SW US
2,216 posts, read 2,033,474 times
Reputation: 3814
I've heard that American retirees are not welcome in Canada because of fears we would use too much of their national healthcare since we don't have it here. Medicare won't pay outside the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 04:16 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
531 posts, read 1,804,957 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I've heard that American retirees are not welcome in Canada because of fears we would use too much of their national healthcare since we don't have it here. Medicare won't pay outside the US.
Yes, you are right. After I made that post, I decided to answer my own question. I went to the official Canadian immigration website. Basically, there's no way I personally would qualify unless I had a close relative willing to sponsor me. It makes sense, of course, as they know Americans are desperate for medical care, especially as they get older. They also know that we think nothing of pulling up roots and moving thousands of miles on a whim!

Guess I'll just have to offer myself up as a mail-order bride to some guy in the Yukon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 05:25 AM
 
12,677 posts, read 14,063,903 times
Reputation: 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Forbes Lists seem to be made up by first year journalism students
No, the Forbes list is made up for its readership, and that readership is not composed of Joe Sixpacks or any of his near relatives.

Wait till the National Enquirer publishes its list, and then we will have something everyone can get his teeth into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
55 posts, read 192,927 times
Reputation: 53
Default Best places to retire

Interesting comments, all. The Forbes article is pretty interesting, and obviously aimed at pretty affluent crowd. My pick for people with more normal resources would be Panama -they use the US dollar, very stable government, lots of places to live for expats.

If you are thinking about the expat life, check out my 10 tips to consider before you retire abroad,which was inspired by the Fortune article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top