Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:46 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
It's a tradition in my family that on the first day of retirement, the person take the alarm clock outside and stomp it to bits. We make a party out of it!

My father did it. My mother did it.
My brother and his wife did.
My sister and her husband(s) did it.

This is one time I really hate being the baby of the family.

My turn can't get here quick enough. http://bestsmileys.com/clocks/2.gif (broken link)
LOVE THIS IDEA!!! Sure wish I knew of it when I retired 5 months ago, but will CERTAINLY do this when hubby retires!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 AM

I have HONESTLY been so busy since I retired 5 months ago, I don't know how I EVER fit work into my life!!! LOL I was always busy, but now I have let my housekeeper retire as well (she was down to just us, but wanted to stay with us until I no longer needed her bless her heart!) and we enjoy lunch once a month and talk to each other several times per week as friends still. Between picking up the new "chore" of fully taking care of the house, the grocery shopping, dry cleaning, puttering in the yard, babysitting our grandson and helping out with my sisters medical needs, this past 5 months has FLOWN by!!! I am grateful to be able to do these things, and "chores" like housework are now fun parts of my day vs the "I gotta get this all accomplished before I head back to work on Monday" kind of drudgery work.

I guess I LOVE being home now!!!

Old 05-11-2015, 10:03 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
It's a tradition in my family that on the first day of retirement, the person take the alarm clock outside and stomp it to bits. We make a party out of it!

My father did it. My mother did it.
My brother and his wife did.
My sister and her husband(s) did it.

This is one time I really hate being the baby of the family.

My turn can't get here quick enough. http://bestsmileys.com/clocks/2.gif (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
LOVE THIS IDEA!!! Sure wish I knew of it when I retired 5 months ago, but will CERTAINLY do this when hubby retires!
I've had this discussion with Gandalara before, as when she posted this in another thread I didn't think at first she was serious (but she was). It's an interesting concept, but I would be lost without an alarm clock. I need it less often now - perhaps about four days per week on average as opposed to five to seven days a week when I was still working - but I couldn't function without it. Different strokes.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:11 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
LOL - I posted that in March 2010.

On April 2, 2013, I put on my hiking boots and had my mallet out in the driveway.
Not much was left of the clock.
It was .... cathartic

Old 05-11-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
LOL - I posted that in March 2010.

On April 2, 2013, I put on my hiking boots and had my mallet out in the driveway.
Not much was left of the clock.
It was .... cathartic
Oh, we might not use our GOOD alarm clock, but we WILL have a cheapy destructed in the symbolic end to "being tied to the clock"!!! LOL

Old 05-11-2015, 08:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This month I will be retired 3 years. I would like to update the things I learned after 1 year.

6. The interest in my new town has waned since Year One of my retirement. I have favorite activities but the newness excitement has worn off. If I miss an annual event, it doesn’t bother me because I’ve done it already. I’m more choosy now. I don’t have to do everything. Plus, classes, school breaks, club meetings, weather conditions, appointments have established replacement routines. People who have moved in retirement, do you feel the same way? After you are in the new place for about two years, are you more picky about how you spend your time and have you’ve developed new routines?

I've been retired for 7 1/2 years. We moved across country in 2012 to a new town. We had been traveling to this area for about a decade already, so it has not been a total shock. I don't feel that I have really explored the town and its surrounds as much as I'd like to. We know a bit more about the state, but we aren't as familiar with it as I'd like to be. We like our town for the most part. It helps that we are now a lot closer to family members. I am not in love with it, but it has some advantages to a large town.

We have kept similar routines to before the move, with the exception of visits to a community fitness center. We enjoy working out there, and we try to make it 3 times a week.

In terms of spending my time, I seem to have acquired new duties here, and my time is not often my own. I have to fight resentment about this all the time. But I can't live in a cave, and I have made friends I want to be in contact with, so I keep some commitments.

I haven't really lost interest in where I live. But I don't feel that I have fully engaged here. But I am further along that I was this time last year.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I use my cell phone as the occasional alarm clock too when I need to awaken early.

One thing I have learned is to have no regrets. Just move on when I screw up.

I like this quote by Garrison Keillor when it comes to thinking about regrets.

"People have made perfectly rational decisions that turned out to be dumber than dirt. There is just no way around this."

Old 05-15-2015, 10:56 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Sounds boring to me, but I'm a good 30 years from 58 so who knows-maybe boring will be the new fun for me by then. My hunch is that i'll still be happily working at 58, but hopefully with bigger paychecks and longer vacations!

Yes, I never thought about retirement at your age. Just wait, I think your thoughts about it will be very different as you age.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:37 PM

130 posts, read 134,494 times
Really enjoyed your post. I retired 16 months ago from government service (at 64.5, (FERS)). For the first few months I would think on Sunday night, "Tomorrow is Monday, i used to have to go to bed early in order to get up at 4:40." Now, Sunday night comes and I don't even give it a second thought. Don't know when this happened, it just did. I, too, take naps when I'm tired, which is usually everyday. What I love about retirement is the lack of pressure. I pretty much do what I want, when I want, if I want. It really is like a perpetual vacation!

Old 05-15-2015, 04:47 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
After reading these posts I feel more assured. Most people enjoy retirement. i did not.

Next time I'll make a plan how I'll spend my time. Sitting home on the couch is not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement