Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:45 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times

Advertisements

About 75% of any 55+ active adult community I have looked at is married leaving 25% single/divorced/widowed unmarried people.
Are there NO 55+ active adult communities in the entire country that has more single people than that? There is a disproportionate amount of married going to these communities than is normal in the population. Where are single retired people going then?
With all the easy access to activities and friendships that would be possible to make in these 55+ communities, I would think singles would flock there...but they surely don't seem to be doing that. Wonder why not?
And is there any 55+ communities that has more singles in the population than 25%? Where is it then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 04:59 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Cool Good question !

I don't know the answer but I'm pretty sure that if an adult community for singles did exist...... there would be a majority of women

Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM

Oh, yeah....that would excite me. Not.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:31 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Default TootsieWootsie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Oh, yeah....that would excite me. Not.
LOL

Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM

7 posts, read 23,782 times
55 and single, maybe not very sociable or aiming for younger companionship. And of the "About 75% of any 55+ active adult community I have looked at is married " I bet over 75% of it, the wife is dragging the husband there.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
About 75% of any 55+ active adult community I have looked at is married leaving 25% single/divorced/widowed unmarried people.
Are there NO 55+ active adult communities in the entire country that has more single people than that? There is a disproportionate amount of married going to these communities than is normal in the population. Where are single retired people going then?
With all the easy access to activities and friendships that would be possible to make in these 55+ communities, I would think singles would flock there...but they surely don't seem to be doing that. Wonder why not?
And is there any 55+ communities that has more singles in the population than 25%? Where is it then?
Most likely that is because they appeal more to married people in cost and having to move.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Most likely that is because they appeal more to married people in cost and having to move.
Good point. Many are expensive for a single retired woman, in particular, who may not have the resources of a retired couple, where there was a higher wage earner (the guy). Most I've looked at are for people looking to buy a house or condo, and not rent. Not that many single retired women can afford to buy real estate in their 60's.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Home Owner's Association fees can be high in these communities. Couples get a two-for-one deal on HOA, while singles pay the same as couples. Singles may be turned off by these high HOA. In my community that is $370/mo.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Home Owner's Association fees can be high in these communities. Couples get a two-for-one deal on HOA, while singles pay the same as couples. Singles may be turned off by these high HOA. In my community that is $370/mo.
Wow..what a scr*w-job that it for us singles!!! Well, THAT settles it for me then.
I CAN afford a home...but not buying one if they are going to charge me the same they charge for couples. I can find entertainment for myself then...pooh on them!

Maybe somewhere there is a 55+ place that has more singles? I keep hoping, anyway.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,129 times
I am single. If I wasn't bogged down with so many pets I would prefer buying a condo rather then move into an over 55 community (which I'm not). I'm not a "joiner" and I don't play golf so an over 55 community has nothing to offer me. I would like a condo because they take care of the outside work, most have a pool where I could meet other singles and there will be a lot more single people living in that sort of a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement