Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:44 PM

9 posts, read 28,138 times

Advertisements

If any one is looking for a place to retire, like I am, try: [moderator cut]The Best Retirement Cities and Towns in the U.S. - Home prices, demographics, environment, crime, etc.[/url]
You will find topics like: air and water quality, climate and crime, housing and health, etc. Try it!

Last edited by Waterlily; 06-14-2007 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: No links to sites like this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:49 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
We moved to AZ a few years ago and so far really enjoy life here. The weather is awesome in the winter and the summer heat is an aquired taste. We still dream of Florida and maybe some day will head that way. If you are looking for lower property taxes and lower cost of living, AZ might be worth looking at.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:09 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
Default Try City -data first

The best first stop when looking for a place can be City-Data. You can sort through a lot of noise quickly and narrow down you search for a place you want to retire and or relocate.
Searching Upper Michigan, and Marquette in general led to what we have found to be the best choice to retire in the Country. Three years here and no regrets. There is a reason Marquette was voted number one by so many people a while back in a Nationwide pole..... Check it all out and see if what I say fits your lifestyle...it just might!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:33 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The best first stop when looking for a place can be City-Data. You can sort through a lot of noise quickly and narrow down you search for a place you want to retire and or relocate.
Searching Upper Michigan, and Marquette in general led to what we have found to be the best choice to retire in the Country. Three years here and no regrets. There is a reason Marquette was voted number one by so many people a while back in a Nationwide pole..... Check it all out and see if what I say fits your lifestyle...it just might!
I have no reason to doubt anything you said about the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, but what you didn't say would be a sufficient "no-go" reason for many people, especially older people: the cold is severe in winter and the amount of snow is considerable.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times
Quote:
Are you able to find doctors who will accept new medicare patients?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Are you able to find doctors who will accept new medicare patients?
yes, so far no problem. we have one of the top 100 cardovascular hospitals in the nation

Old 07-31-2010, 09:51 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times
Quote:
yes, so far no problem. we have one of the top 100 cardovascular hospitals in the nation
Good to know, especially in a city of about 20,000. Are you able to have high speed internet services in Marquette? I live in SE MI.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good to know, especially in a city of about 20,000. Are you able to have high speed internet services in Marquette? I live in SE MI.
Yes , downtown and NMU is WiFi, also city wide DSL and Charter. I live outside city and use broadband aircards as no cable avaiable. They work fine for me, I have a MyFi set up on my property. At&T and Virison servoius. Sat for TV in Country, cable some places, also repeter stations around County for all the above. This is the largest County in Michigan , so there are some very remote areas outside the City. Lots of folks out there off the grid also, they like it that way, or can't afford the cost to run the wire. I am 4 miles out and it cost me 5,000.00 to run wire for the grid.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:59 AM

28 posts, read 80,575 times
I have been to Marquette a few times summer and fall. Winter in the UP is to harsh for me with snow falls of 72" or more. I have seen snow at the air base piled 20 feet high in June. If it works for you thats great. The UP is a great place if you want be off the grid.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop2 View Post
I have been to Marquette a few times summer and fall. Winter in the UP is to harsh for me with snow falls of 72" or more. I have seen snow at the air base piled 20 feet high in June. If it works for you thats great. The UP is a great place if you want be off the grid.
silly statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement