Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

That you start to see people you knw start to die i thier late 40's and 50's is pretty common really.I really think that is when genes and habits start to catchup to people really.Also why doctors start to really want thier petients to have full physicals.I am not sure i see nay relationship to stress from a particular source such as job but do to family history especailly with that history being ignore with healh care and habits.I being 63 can see what has happened to people who I know that abused drugs;alcohol ;overweight in early years and ignored their health basically.Genes seem to play a strong role as well as person habits that are ignored for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:28 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Seems very synchronous that I came across this thread. Apparently there is the possibility of an early retirement incentive for which I would be eligible.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 PM

174 posts, read 371,104 times
Years ago I had a friend that I worked for as a kid. He raised eight kids and all but one had moved out. Him and his wife had big plan. They plan on a lot of traveling. One day setting at the table having diner his wife had a stoke . It ended up being fatal. I've thought about this for 30 yrs. Ever sense this I have always said that I was going to retire early so that my wife and I could enjoy our selves before anything ever happens. I have even told his family how much of an influence this has had on me.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,664 times
When on their deathbed, nobody ever says, " Gee I wish I would have worked longer."

Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper54 View Post
Years ago I had a friend that I worked for as a kid. He raised eight kids and all but one had moved out. Him and his wife had big plan. They plan on a lot of traveling. One day setting at the table having diner his wife had a stoke . It ended up being fatal. I've thought about this for 30 yrs. Ever sense this I have always said that I was going to retire early so that my wife and I could enjoy our selves before anything ever happens. I have even told his family how much of an influence this has had on me.
That kind of thinking influenced my dad, as well. His parents were always going to get a little farm in retirement, raise chickens, live the country life. My grandfather died of a heart attack at 59, a week after his annual company physical gave him a clean bill of health. All but one of my father's uncles also died by 60. When my dad was 55, his company was looking to reduce staff and offered anyone with at least 25 years of service who was 55 and over a retirement deal. He took it. At first he dabbled in real estate, then worked for a couple of years for another small firm in his field (electrical engineering). Eventually he spent his time working in the disabled veteran's groups (he was one himself), the other veterans organizations, and his church. He lived to be 78 years old when he died suddenly of a heart attack, very quickly in his own kitchen. I am so glad he got to enjoy his time and didn't suffer at the end of his life either. But he almost took it for granted he wouldn't live to be old based on family history and took that early retirement when the chance was offered.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:17 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
I lost my 2nd husband (18 year marriage) at age 50 to melanoma. I have never viewed life the same since. I lost my interest in the corporate world and never returned full time from the leave I took to care for him during his last months of life. I kept my foot in the door as an independent consultant for about 6 years, I just couldn't play the silly political games any more and found my work sort of meaningless. So I had to leave my well paying, demanding role behind. I miss the great paycheck but nothing else. I haven't looked back and enjoy every day. Just sorry my poor late husband worked so hard and never got to take a break.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I lost my 2nd husband (18 year marriage) ..I have never viewed life the same since. ... I haven't looked back and enjoy every day. Just sorry my poor late husband worked so hard and never got to take a break.
Well said, thx

SR

Old 06-08-2010, 04:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
One of the reasons I always wanted to live in Vegas was an uncle I loved dearly. He was only 10 years older than me and we had always been great friends. The plan was that I would retire and move to Vegas. We had plans.

He died suddenly of a heart attack 2 years before I moved to Vegas. I'll never get to do all those things with him. I still miss him.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:51 PM

413 posts, read 701,697 times
My ex-partner and still dear friend died suddenly of a heart attack four years ago at age 56. That was a blow. He had been in apparent good health and I had thought he'd always be there for me. There's really no-one else around now, outside my family, that knew me when and shares so many memories. That, and the fact that my mom is 82 and I want to have some good years with her before we have to say goodbye, led me to retire on the first day I was eligible. I could have had a bigger pension if I stayed longer, but I decided what I'm getting will be sufficient. Enough is enough, and spending my time left here the way I choose is more important to me.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
My ex-partner and still dear friend died suddenly of a heart attack four years ago at age 56. That was a blow. He had been in apparent good health and I had thought he'd always be there for me. There's really no-one else around now, outside my family, that knew me when and shares so many memories. That, and the fact that my mom is 82 and I want to have some good years with her before we have to say goodbye, led me to retire on the first day I was eligible. I could have had a bigger pension if I stayed longer, but I decided what I'm getting will be sufficient. Enough is enough, and spending my time left here the way I choose is more important to me.
I'm sorry about your loss of someone so close to you and such a part of your life.

I think you left work for the best of reasons. Most of us could work longer, make more money, add to our retirements. But we'd also get older and in the end, might not enjoy it so much or for very long. As you said, enough is enough and being able to spend your time the way you want to is priceless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement