Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,169 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain the culture of the majority of Rhode Islanders, or I suppose to be fair, New Englanders?
'
Many people seem very high strung, wound waay too tight, pissed off looking and always angry about something. There seems to be this "glass is half empty" vibe that is so pervasive, it becomes depressing to an outsider not used to it.

I've noticed that if you try to engage someone in conversation about something positive, many people will look at you like an alien with 3 heads or excuse themselves away from you. However, if you bring up something negative, they light up and instantly agree with you!

There seems to be this populist, blue collar mindset that anyone who is successful, competent or wealthy is to be looked at with suspicion and contempt.

Driving anywhere is a nightmare. Cars tailgate in residential areas, cut people off constantly and refuse to stop for pedestrians in marked crosswalks.

I am trying hard to give this place the benefit of the doubt and I have met some great people, however, it seems the majority of Rhode Islanders can't stand EACH OTHER and treat each other accordingly. As soon as I visit another state on business, there is an immediate and jarring contrast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 AM

583 posts, read 1,324,680 times
Quote:
Can someone explain the culture of the majority of Rhode Islanders, or I suppose to be fair, New Englanders?
'
Many people seem very high strung, wound waay too tight, pissed off looking and always angry about something. There seems to be this "glass is half empty" vibe that is so pervasive, it becomes depressing to an outsider not used to it. Disagree- RI'ers are known for being the most friendly and open of the NE states. People here love to party and have a good time. Seems to be more your issue than anyone elses. Lighten up. Maybe you are not looking in the right places."

I've noticed that if you try to engage someone in conversation about something positive, many people will look at you like an alien with 3 heads or excuse themselves away from you. However, if you bring up something negative, they light up and instantly agree with you! "RI'ers do tend to complain about the state of affairs- its just superficial talk we you first meet someone, in the South they probably talk about church and pie or something. At least when you get to know RI'ers they'll probably let you in on a couple more secrets"

There seems to be this populist, blue collar mindset that anyone who is successful, competent or wealthy is to be looked at with suspicion and contempt. Seems more your issue, and as someone who is half European, I sympathize, but many in this state have been terribly hit by the economy, why would you be looking for their approval. There is a wealthy set in this state, and if that's what you are, then that's where you would belong, gen.spking.

Driving anywhere is a nightmare. Cars tailgate in residential areas, cut people off constantly and refuse to stop for pedestrians in marked crosswalks. Agree, but as a pedestrian in Providence I can tell you people are very kind on pedestrians. Try living in Boston- not so nice.

I am trying hard to give this place the benefit of the doubt and I have met some great people, however, it seems the majority of Rhode Islanders can't stand EACH OTHER and treat each other accordingly. As soon as I visit another state on business, there is an immediate and jarring contrast.
Where are you from?? There's always a trade off. I'm sure there are plenty things to gripe about whereever you are from. Maybe the Northeast just won't be your thing, but complaining about it probably goes against the ethic of wherever you in fact are from. So you're already on your way to becoming an RI'er.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,169 times
Why so sensitive and touchy? I'm simply sharing my impressions and experiences here. Seems I've struck a nerve and you would rather make this about me and some sort of failing on my part than acknowledge the elephant in the living room.

This is my last post on the subject. These are simply my impressions upon being here for a short while, you can ignore them and assume that I am the problem but a cursory glance around these forums tells me I am not alone.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM

583 posts, read 1,324,680 times
You're right my friend, I am sensitive and touchy. I had a rare hangover this a.m. Yesterday I met nice four people on meetup, and went boating in the bay and watched the airshow. Then we grilled back in Newport and could have gone in the jacuzzi, but we were too beat. I even met a seahorse named Eddie, reared by the host from just a wee thing caught in our Bay. He was the cutest thing ever. What did you do yesterday to make yourself so touchy this a.m?

Last edited by Saltatrix; 06-27-2011 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 12:55 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
wow i was surprised to read this. i have good friends that live in narragansett and we visit often. every time we visit we dont want to leave! people seem so much nicer and friendly in RI than they do here in PA, or where i grew up NJ. i would totally move to RI if i could find a nice gov't job there. or open a brewpub.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
and to add to my last post, my friend that lives in narragansett has to move back to PA next month, after years of coastal living. he is pissed! he rents an awesome cottage on a beach block for like 900 per month. its a friggin dream.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritransplant View Post
This is my last post on the subject. These are simply my impressions upon being here for a short while, you can ignore them and assume that I am the problem but a cursory glance around these forums tells me I am not alone.
Yup, yep, yes...and noooo, don't let this be your last post on the subject. It's great to see a place's faults talked up, just like we wanna hear about the positive things too!

Nice post, I agree with you 110%!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:21 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
get bent. lol

Old 07-06-2011, 01:33 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,184 times
Default I'm finding this in CT too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritransplant View Post
Why so sensitive and touchy? I'm simply sharing my impressions and experiences here. Seems I've struck a nerve and you would rather make this about me and some sort of failing on my part than acknowledge the elephant in the living room.

I see lots of uptight, not wanting to give consideration to others, but want to put down others, irl, and also very much on the CT forum.

Maybe it's the economy. I don't know personally how RI people are like, I've had some friends from the RI and they were nice folks, but I've only met a few RI people to be honest.
How do CT people come off to you ritransplant? about the same.. Friendly, or more open? If so, where did you go in CT?
I'm trying to find some decent places to hang out in Ct where I can meet new people, and make some more friends. So many on this forum, in the CT forum, lately, have just wanted to put me down over voicing my opinion.
Oh, well, maybe chaulk it up to City-Data. Seems other rude posts on this forum, over the years. Didnn't know that RI people were mostly Catholics. That's interesting.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
RI people are not mostly Catholic in the strictest sense of the word. "Catholic In Name Only" would be nearer the mark. There is also a strong Episcopal and Unitarian contingent here, as well as - *gasp* - non-believers.

Barely anyone here has asked me which church I attend. (Answer: NONE.)

In the South that used to happen all the time. New England is the most secular region of the country, don't let the self-described "Catholics" in MA/RI fool you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island