Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 PM

343 posts, read 932,902 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Philadelphia to Providence, RI in June to begin a Post-doctoral research position at Brown University, and I was hoping to get some information (and advice) about where to live.

I would be very interested to hear about interesting neighborhoods in Providence that would be within 2 miles or so of the brown campus. I would love it if those who've spent a lot of time or lived in providence could give me some useful information about the neighborhoods that would be difficult to find out on the internet.

I'm in my late 20's and I appreciate the amenities of urban living, walkability, restaurants, coffee shops, bars, some grit, and diversity.

I'm set on living in providence proper and would travel primarily by bicycle. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,826 times
By far the area that fits the bill would be the 'East Side' of Providence, where Brown is located. The area around Brown and RISD, and to a slight lesser degree Fox Point area on Wickenden St. are most college oriented, Wayland Square and Hope Village (Rochambeau St.) a mix of family and college, also very pleasant. If money is no issue, there are lofts and condos downtown, a five minute bike ride uphill to Brown. The less expensive, more gritty artist neighborhood option would be on the West Side, but then you'd have to ride across the city to get to Brown, not that Providence is that big, but anywhere on the East Side would be much more reasonable. Note that parking is not allowed overnight on any city streets, so if you would have a car a parking spot in a driveway or lot is always needed.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Thanks! Great information. Providence east side seems like a good bet, and my only worry would be that it would be full of undergraduates who make it loud and turn any bar into "their scene". Perhaps this is not the case, though.

I've heard off-hand that the east side is pretty residential. But there must be interesting businesses on the east side as well, right?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 AM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Thayer Street is the main commercial road running through Brown University and that would be the area you might run into a louder student crowd at times.

As you head further east towards Blackstone Blvd, it's more family oriented and more large single family homes - but very expensive ones. Personally, I would check out the area from Rochambeau and Hope to Lippitt Park, where Hope St meets Blackstone Blvd. I've always gotten a good vibe from this area. There's a farmers market every weekend in Lippitt Park and there are quite a few restaurants, bakeries and shops; it seems like a very walkable neighborhood plus you have Lippitt Park and Blackstone Blvd or Swan Point Cemetery as nice green spaces to go for a walk.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:29 PM

335 posts, read 939,442 times
I live in the BB/Elmgrove/Rochambeau area mentioned by sandsonik and I love it (except for the car taxes). There are a lot of great rentals here. We found ours on craigslist. I love walking up to Hope for restaurants or to the farmers' market in Lippitt.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
I live in the BB/Elmgrove/Rochambeau area mentioned by sandsonik and I love it (except for the car taxes). There are a lot of great rentals here. We found ours on craigslist. I love walking up to Hope for restaurants or to the farmers' market in Lippitt.
Thanks. This is probably gonna be my best bet. Based on what I've seen on google street view, this area seems very serene, and perhaps even a little suburban. But it appears to be within walking distance of the hope st business district.

Is the Lippitt farmers market year-round?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 AM

335 posts, read 939,442 times
It's not, it is May-October but there is a winter farmers' market in Pawtucket just short distance away.

This website has some good info - Farm Fresh Rhode Island - RI farms, local food, farmers markets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island