Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,897,165 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see this as a trend. It could lead to consolidation of districts and reduce redundancy. Taxpayers in Coventry were being asked to vote something like a 30% increase for the FD pensions, etc.

Voters reject budget for Central Coventry Fire District / Video | Breaking News | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 04:53 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,390 times
I see both sides.. however, their taxes would have gone up $300-$500 per year from what I've read. Which is about the same as their homeowner's insurance will increase since many will be more than 5 miles from a FD. I think I would have preferred to pay the extra and have a FD in case my house burned down or I was having a heart attack. But at this point it's just Monday morning quarterbacking.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:57 PM

Really??? Homeowners insurance goes up $500 a year if more than 5 miles from a fire department? I'm rather skeptical...

I think the issues had to do with the old enormous FD pensions and raises and disability bennies which would be endless.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:39 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,390 times
5. How far away is the fire department?
If the home is more than five miles from a fire station, your rates will likely start rising, says Dawn Roberts, general manager of LeDoux Insurance Agency in Eugene, Ore. They might jump by 20% to 240%, depending on the home's distance from a station or hydrants.

Even if it's only a couple of hundred dollars, I think that would be outweighed by the potential of death by fire due to longer response times. Either way, if they stayed open and taxes went up or they close and homeowner's insurance went up, I think it will play out when the first person dies due to longer response time, that's all I was saying. I don't have a dog in the fight, just relaying things I've read.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 AM

688 posts, read 2,134,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Really??? Homeowners insurance goes up $500 a year if more than 5 miles from a fire department? I'm rather skeptical...
Take a look at your own homeowner's insurance policy. The rates for insurance will definitely go up, if people can find insurance in the first place. The other big problem is the response time increase. Be that as it may be, we'll probably see legislation passed next week giving the taxing authority to the town or something similar. And then, taxes will go up again to fund the district. But this time, no vox populi.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:49 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,190,229 times
I wouldn't like to see it as a trend. It only happened because something shady/incompetent was going on and they burned through their budget and thought the money was never ending. Other fire departments manage to live within their budgets.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:34 PM

Maybe people who live in rural districts could weigh in on what their insurance costs are? I'm sure many don't live within 5 mi of a fire station. What about areas like Foster where the FD is volunteer?

Sandsonik- you make a good point. Coventry tax payers were sick of getting raked over.

The thing is all FDs are regional in the sense that any large fire calls in engines from other districts. How much redundancy do we really need?

Old 03-30-2013, 03:22 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The thing is all FDs are regional in the sense that any large fire calls in engines from other districts. How much redundancy do we really need?
While it is true that other fire districts lend aid in times of need, this is based on reciprocal mutual aid agreements. Since the Central Coventry District may cease to exist in two weeks, this mutual aid will no longer be applicable, after all, Central Coventry itself won't be able to extend any aid anymore. It remains to be seen what the other fire districts will do at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island