Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 12:13 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times

Advertisements

Forgive my ignorance, but why does RI have counties? Is it a federal law or something? I mean, so far as I know, there's no county government in the state and no county taxes.

Places like Virginia and Maryland have powerful county governments, like Fairfax Country in Virginia and Montgomery County in Maryland. So what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but why does RI have counties?
Goes back to colonial days when the original Rhode Island colony was established. Eventually, State Government and towns took over the county government functions. We still use them for the court system and the sheriffs. So there is an Outcounty Business Calendar on the Superior Court, for example. Also, a courthouse in every county.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 PM

583 posts, read 1,325,083 times
It also has to do with geography; obviously out West it makes more sense to have county gov. New England is known for having local control in government, very much based on early town meeting form of government, giving the citizens a strong voice in many matters, but is also cause for a grid-lock and red tape in getting anything done. I believe Montgomery County is considered quite progressive, which wouldn't be the possible if it were up to towns probably.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:08 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Here's more of a background on it List of counties in Rhode Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Connecticut operates the same way.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
It also has to do with geography; obviously out West it makes more sense to have county gov. New England is known for having local control in government, very much based on early town meeting form of government, giving the citizens a strong voice in many matters, but is also cause for a grid-lock and red tape in getting anything done. I believe Montgomery County is considered quite progressive, which wouldn't be the possible if it were up to towns probably.
Yes, Montgomery County is fairly progressive and an effective governmental entity. That's largely due to the way taxpayers just nail politicians to the cross on just about every issue. I mean, they just hammer the pols! It's also a very wealthy county.

The county's ability to tax has made large-scale infrastructure projects possible, like the operation and expansion of the metropolitan DC subway system, "Metro," a tinker-toy wannabee bus and subway system that serves DC, Maryland and Virginia.

This RI mashup of 39 cities and town nonsense is just a joke. I have no idea why a state as itsy-bitsy, teensy-weentsey as Rhode Island doesn't have ONE school system, ONE police department and ONE fire department. Thirty nine entities? Hopkinton, with 8,000 souls, is a town? Hell, there are single blocks in Manhattan with more people! And in a state of a million people? What a waste!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
What a waste!
Hehe, you clearly have not been exposed to the real underpinnings of our little state. Let's talk again in a couple years, things will become more clear to you as time goes by.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:31 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
What- and have all these people vote themselves out of office and out of lucrative jobs?

I've always been a big advocate of at least consolidating or going to a county system. But the governor would have to have the cajones to put a referendum on the ballot.... or the people would have have to rise up with a major petition. Either scenario unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: