Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:01 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, I know. That's why I said it was fine to discuss local protests.
Um, how does one escape talking about NYC when that's the very place that the policies the Brown students were protesting took place?

It's like if the Iranian President had arrived @ Brown but we weren't allowed to mention his policies in Iran.

Last edited by Rnrboy; 10-31-2013 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Oh. Okay -- that's a good thing.

On a side note, with the end of baseball last night (great victory), Summer surely seems over. It gives me a sense of sadness. Great Summer.
Attachment 120252

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
I love this time of year! I'm one of the weirdos who prefers standard time. Hey, we only get four months! You people get the other eight!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:55 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Um, how does one escape talking about NYC when that's the very place that the policies the Brown students were protesting took place?

It's like if the Iranian President had arrived @ Brown but we weren't allowed to mention his policies in Iran.
It's fine to mention the protests are due to his actions as the police commissioner. Topics like Bill de Blasio, Sarah Palin, the Tea Party and NYC are outside the scope of a local relocation forum.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 AM

He's police commissioner of NYC. Do we pretend we don't know where he is police commissioner? This thread is not about relocating to RI. Does that mean whenever anyone mentions any other state ever, it's off topic? Just trying to clarify here.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Does that mean whenever anyone mentions any other state ever, it's off topic? Just trying to clarify here.
It is when a poster goes on and on about it.

BTW, this whole forum is about relocating to Rhode Island and local news.

If someone wants to talk about New York, they should go to that forum. If someone wants to talk national politics, they should go to that forum. It is not a chat forum where people who happen to live in RI get to talk about anything that pops into their mind.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 AM

The local news was that the Police Commissioner from NYC was shouted down to the point where he couldn't give a speech at Brown University in Providence. That's Rhode Island news. I found it in the news section of the Journal a few days ago. And it would be kind of hard not to mention where the Commissioner is from, or the policies he was supporting in that context.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:10 AM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
While Terry v. Ohio did create the stop and frisk exception, it doesn't give the police blanket authority to conduct stops and pat downs left and right. While the standard under Terry is lower and a cop does not have to show probable cause to stop an individual, there must still be reasonable suspicion which is more than a mere hunch. Basically, the officer must be able to articulate what his or her suspicion is based on.

Thus, the Stop and Frisk Policy we see in NYC is certainly prone to be challenged, even under Terry's lower standards. I can't say I disagree with Judge Scheindlin.
But anyways, back to Brown Protests.
Well that is what the policy is based on. If there are bad apples within the department who take things too far, then they should face discipline. If one has evidence of wrongdoing, they should file a complaint. None of these knucklehead students have evidence of anything, all they are doing is suppressing free speech and ideas through intimidation and disorder.

And things don't look good for Judge Scheindlin.

New York's stop-and-frisk ruling blocked - latimes.com

Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 AM

688 posts, read 2,135,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

And things don't look good for Judge Scheindlin.

New York's stop-and-frisk ruling blocked - latimes.com
It's a stay, that doesn't concern the merits of the decision she rendered. However, since talking about 'off-topic' material is looked unfavorably upon by our moderator, let's just leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island