Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:42 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times

Advertisements

I'm just so grateful to be here, and there's much to be grateful about. But there are some things I have on Santa's Wish List that I'd like to hope for in this holiday season:

1. I wish that the Superman Building finds a new purpose, one that befits the dignity of the structure.
2. I wish that Kennedy Plaza is redeveloped.
3. That RIPTA finds new leadership and new vision to better serves our needs.
4. That bars close at 4am.
5. That city hall be demolished and replaced by a Richard Meier structure, like this one:

These are my hopes for the city of Providence in this holiday season. What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
May your first 3 wishes come true. I share them. As for the 4th I can't say I care.

What's with wish 5?? While City Hall is hardly good architecture, it at least strives for dignity. The Meier mess you wish for would be a bigger tragedy than the reviled Brutalist Boston City Hall. Was this wish a joke, I didn't get? Sometimes the subtleties and ironies of forum discussions escape me. If so, I apologize.

Last edited by independent man; 12-05-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
May your first 3 wishes come true. I share them. As for the 3rd, I can't say I care.

What's with wish 4?? While City Hall is hardly good architecture, it at least strives for dignity. The Meier mess you wish for would be a bigger tragedy than the reviled Brutalist Boston City Hall. Was this wish a joke, I didn't get? Sometimes the subtleties and ironies of forum discussions escape me. If so, I apologize.
Wish #4? The city goes to sleep way too early.

As to the Meier structure, it's quite stunning and certainly not Brutalist. Meier's building (actually a church outside of Rome) injects light and openness -- it embraces life and inspires me. And while the current dungeon that is city hall may "strive" for dignity, it falls flat on its face in that regard; it's an eyesore, it's fodder for a wrecking ball. It's a gloomy, brooding pile of nonsense. I avert my eyes when I pass it; sadly, I can see it from my apartment.

And no, this list isn't a joke, it's my wishes for a better city.

Yawn.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 12-05-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post

As to the Meier structure, it's quite stunning and certainly not Brutalist. Meier's building (actually a church outside of Rome) injects light and openness -- it embraces life and inspires me. And while the current dungeon that is city hall may "strive" for dignity, it falls flat on its face in that regard; it's an eyesore, it's fodder for a wrecking ball. It's a gloomy, brooding pile of nonsense. I avert my eyes when I pass it; sadly, I can see it from my apartment.

You stay up way too late.

If you don't get your wishes, at least you are familiar with how to get the Acela to get you out of RI.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You stay up way too late.

If you don't get your wishes, at least you are familiar with how to get the Acela to get you out of RI.
Or the Conestoga to North Carolina.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post

Yawn.
Delighted you love Providence as you obviously do, but may your modernest architectural wishes for city hall and any other part of the the city never come true.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Delighted you love Providence as you obviously do, but may your modernest architectural wishes for city hall and any other part of the the city never come true.
LOL! I guess you told me!

But please, Sir, just one modernist building? Just one?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 PM

Just one? If you walk around the city, you know better. They're pocked all over the city. Brown is positively obsessed with them lately. All of those cartoonish buildings so out of place in Providence's wonderful historic context. It really endangers our sense of place. Any more of them go up and we'll become Indianapolis!!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Just one? If you walk around the city, you know better. They're pocked all over the city. Brown is positively obsessed with them lately. All of those cartoonish buildings so out of place in Providence's wonderful historic context. It really endangers our sense of place. Any more of them go up and we'll become Indianapolis!!
I'm not advocating for trash modernist architecture, like the works of the evil twins, Zaha Hadid and Rem Koolhaus (see below)

But a city, even as historic a city as Providence, cannot be frozen in amber -- we cannot eternally resist contemporary, high quality architecture. A building of the quality and uniqueness of the Meier building, by example, would stand as a landmark for a century or more.

I stand by my wish list. I believe there is room in this city for great modernist work and indeed it would serve to complement, not distract, from the great architecture we already enjoy in great abundance.

And some of the architecture at Brown is quite good:

Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Then I join in your wish.........but for Cranston rather than Providence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island