Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 PM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Any of you RIers have an opinion on him as a candidate or how he previously ran the treasury? He for the most part seems like a decent guy and capable politician (despite being a RI Democrat). It's too bad he didn't get governor a few years ago, would have been a much better choice IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 04:44 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Any of you RIers have an opinion on him as a candidate or how he previously ran the treasury? He for the most part seems like a decent guy and capable politician (despite being a RI Democrat). It's too bad he didn't get governor a few years ago, would have been a much better choice IMHO.
Frank Caprio is a quintessential old school, conservative Rhode Island democrat. He was probably ok as Treasurer, but perhaps a bit out of his league as a candidate for governor. Rightly or wrongly he gives the impression to some as a "get along to get by" character. His family connections reinforce this unflattering image. For this reason he is likely to lose again. Especially against Magaziner, a fresh candidate who gives off the polar opposite vibe.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:03 AM

I don't know, his accomplishments sound pretty impressive to me. That RI outperformed most other states (inlcuding MA and CT) with its investments during that period, suggests that he would be up for the job again (vs. whoever this "Magaziner" guy is). There's no way he would have been a worse governor than Chafee, and also surprising that an Italian Democrat from Providence would not win.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:07 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Quote:
Agree. He's a straight-up guy with vision for small business.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:15 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I like Magaziner better....

WPRI 12/Journal Poll: Magaziner takes big lead over Caprio | wpri.com

Old 08-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know, his accomplishments sound pretty impressive to me. That RI outperformed most other states (inlcuding MA and CT) with its investments during that period, suggests that he would be up for the job again (vs. whoever this "Magaziner" guy is). There's no way he would have been a worse governor than Chafee, and also surprising that an Italian Democrat from Providence would not win.
"Italian democrat from Providence" means just another middle aged white guy trying to hold onto power in political terms - even in Rhode Island. Its days seem to be slip slidding away. Caprio represents that. He'd be better off in the RI House. That group is still running the show there. At least they control the Speakership.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:28 PM

I guess the irony that I see here is that these "status quo"/"middle aged white guys" in the GA that are absolutely useless; keep riding to re-election while one who was one of the most pro-active, successful treasurers in the United States is trailing in the polls to some nobody with nothing to show. That an Italian Democrat who saved the state's pension system, lost to a RINO-turned-(Obama kissing)"Independent" WASP who had done nothing but ride off his Daddy's legacy to Washington.

The big question is, is why would a total unknown like Magaziner be beating one who has already proven himself?

Old 08-31-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I guess the irony that I see here is that these "status quo"/"middle aged white guys" in the GA that are absolutely useless; keep riding to re-election while one who was one of the most pro-active, successful treasurers in the United States is trailing in the polls to some nobody with nothing to show. That an Italian Democrat who saved the state's pension system, lost to a RINO-turned-(Obama kissing)"Independent" WASP who had done nothing but ride off his Daddy's legacy to Washington.

The big question is, is why would a total unknown like Magaziner be beating one who has already proven himself?
The Italian Democrat who lead the effort to save the state's pension system has the name of Gina, not Frank. And, she's likely to become Rhode Island's first woman governor for her efforts. It's a good sign that times are actually changing in RI. As for Magaziner, his large lead in the polls speaks for itself. People are slowly waking up and demanding change. Even if they're not all that familiar with the agent who may bring it. However, they do know who probably won't.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
I think Leonardo Di Caprio should run. He'd have my vote.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:20 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:

Seth is the son of Ira Magaziner, who some 30 years ago came out with the "Greenhouse Compact" to improve economic conditions in Rhode Island. Ira was very liberal, not equal to the progressive liberalism of today, yet his compact was perceived as anti-union and anti employee. All of which was far from the truth. The Compact was on the ballot in 1984? and was defeated 80%-20%. The legislature and business backed it, but it was not explained very well to the public. We would have a very different Rhode Island had it passed. Ira left for Washington, and I think that the 20% who voted in favor of the Compact was the basis of Seth running for office. Caprio did himself in with his immature rant against Obama and many remember that. While Caprio is proven, many are looking for change in state officers and want new blood. Unfortunately that does not translate to the senate or house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: