Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:28 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessamichaels View Post
Mass native, I had no idea what you meant when you said that. Thanks so much for explaining it to me. Maybe some one can explain sarcasm to you. I did go to Central Falls hs. And I got a scholarship to Brown. I am so sorry that my people failed to impress you. Were you home schooled? Because you sound very sheltered. I do not need to read what I wrote. I do not have the memory of a goldfish so I remember what I said. Maybe you should read it again since you were not able to get my point about the police being incompetent. A person who resists arrest does not deserve the death penalty. You are a horrible person for thinking that they do. If police are not capable of restraining a suspect with out killing them then they have no business being cops. Growing up in an inner city environment I have witnessed racial profiling and excessive force used by police. Many of the police officers in this state are straight up criminals. If your panties are in a twist because some college kids are protesting the results of an incident in NY I can't wait to see how pissy you get when the time comes when others are protesting the police in the state of RI. RI police have blood on their hands. All that has been covered will be uncovered.

And I am actually just as annoyed with the protesters as you are. It's not shocking that a bunch of them are in L.L. bean jackets. Those are incredibly ugly jackets. They are "safe" jackets worn by the fashionably challenged. The type of people that wear a particular type of jacket because "everyone else" is wearing it. Followers. Typical RIers. These followers are hopping on a trend with their protests. They wear what other people wear and apparently protest what other people protest. None of them would be protesting if "everyone else" wasn't protesting. But they still have the right to protest so get over it.

I read about a crime committed by an incompetent police officer in RI about three years ago. A mentally unstable man from Tiverton went to check on his mother in Portsmouth. When she didn't answer the door he went crazy thinking that something had happened to her so he called 911. The police came and it turned out his mother was fine and in the shower so she did not hear him knocking. The stress of thinking that his mother might be hurt triggered something so he got all worked up. The police officer decided to have him committed for his erratic behavior. He resisted
and now he is dead because the police officer restraining him was incompetent. He was an unarmed mentally unstable man who died at the hands of a RI police officer. His crime was that he freaked out because he was concerned about his mothers well being. He called the police for help and the officer accidentally killed him with the help of a mail man.

Can any of the protesters please explain to me why you feel the need to protest the fact that an unarmed citizen in NY died at the hands of a NY police officer and you do not feel the need to protest the excessive force and poor training used by a RI cop which resulted in the death of an unarmed RI resident ? A resident that did not commit a crime? He was just frantic over the well being of his mother.

I'll tell you why. Because "everyone else" isn't protesting that. "Everyone else" isn't protesting that changes need to be made with the police to prevent incidents like that from happening.
Clearly the same problems exist in this state as they do in NY. Why are you followers so concerned with what is happening in other states and you do not care about what goes on in your own state?

I am annoyed with your priorities protesters.
And I am annoyed with all the people who have a problem with people protesting that are standing up for what they believe in.

There are racist cops in this state that feel that the lives of black people don't matter. Horrible crooked people. You do not have any life experiences to base your opinions on so your opinions do not matter. Some cops use excessive force for fun and get off on it. They are the real criminals. Twisted and terrible people.

The bad ones need to be weeded out and the ones that remain need to be retrained and educated about how to handle these situations better.
The guy in Tiverton was over 300 pounds and became extremely combative with police. They used the lowest level of force (pepper spray) and unfortunately he died later during transport. Sorry to break it to you, but police are sometimes required to use deadly force as part of their job. Unfortunately it is necessary under certain circumstances, they are not magicians. Their primary job is to protect themselves and bystanders, one who fights with them is not guaranteed any sort of safety. You can keep Monday Morning Quarterbacking from your arm chair but that doesn't make you any more informed. You are not informed at all.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM

749 posts, read 921,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Yes, just for THAT he deserved the death penalty, without a trial. Talk about violating the constitution.
No, he did not deserve to die, however, he deserve to respect the law.......he brought it upon himself......if he would have obeyed the laws, and the police orders, he will still be alive......

Listen to this......this young man has lots of common sense.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGGalRcTxA

Old 12-08-2014, 02:34 AM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Sandsonik, even the video showed him resisting arrest! The Cops didn't kill him! He died as a result of being extremely obese and and in poor health! If you don't take care of your body, fine; but don't fight with police if you are one breath away from...

This Monday Morning Quarterbacking is unbelievable. The whole "(As we know now), he was unarmed and posed no threat". It's almost funny, that if the cops had used less force and this guy came back and stabbed them to death; they would be talked about as heroes to their profession. I guess they have to die first. Well I got some news for you, that is it's the cops' job to go home in one piece. Do you know how many times suspects give the "I can't breath" line to officers after they stupidly pick a fight with them? If that were true then they wouldn't be able to say that (or anything)! Should an officer just take their word and hope that the suspect doesn't pull a weapon or strike him with their fist? I'm sorry, but once a suspect (especially of that size and with that kind of history) fights with police; all game is on. I don't understand why people keep defending a p.o.s. like this.
To cops, everyone is a p.o.s.

The video showed him arguing with cops. That doesn't make him a threat to them. He didn't pick the fight with the cops, they picked a fight with him.

The coroner's report says he died as a result of pressure put on his was killed by neck compression from the illegal chokehold, along with "the compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police".

Obviously you're wrong that he wouldn't have been able to tell them he couldn't breathe. He really couldn't breathe. You could hear the panic in his voice that got weaker each time. Maybe in the other examples you cite, those people really couldn't breathe either, but cops are predispositioned to disbelieve everyone. Maybe they luckily stopped just short of killing someone and now they don't believe anyone. They had four cops on top of him and his hands behind his back - how could he pull a weapon on anyone? It seems cops are always imagining they see guns....

By the way, they had no evidence that he was selling loose cigarettes, and they still don't, so basically they were just hassling him and hoping to get lucky. And killed him in the process. I don't really understand how they thought they were making an arrest with no evidence anyway. What a waste of police manpower.

You can think whatever you want of Garner, but the police should have given him medical assistance and they didn't. It was clear he was not well. But then, they also didn't help Tamir Rice after they shot him, and they let Mike Brown's body sit there for five hours, and never called Trayvon Martin's parents to tell him their son was dead, even though they'd reported him missing and they had Trayvon's cell phone.

Total lack of humanity and responsibility by people who are over armed and over fearful.

I want to know why police officers don't have to live by the same laws they enforce. How about that time in Boston they broke into that ministers apt, with masks on and guns drawn, because they had the wrong apartment. They pepper gassed him and he died of a heart attack. Why weren't they charged with home invasion? Anybody else would have been. I would be in jail right now if I did to Garner what that officer did to him. And you can bet I'd be in jail if I blinded a baby by throwing a stun grenade into her crib.

So I understand why people protest. If the police are never held accountable, what's next? It will only get worse. Police forces are becoming para military units and using swat teams for everything these days, and who will protect us from the police? Not this Supreme Court, certainly.

It sounds like you're a police officer. I have a question for you. In your training, do they ever address that there may be times you give an order to a person who is deaf, blind or otherwise unable to comprehend you and that you should make sure they heard and understand you before you shoot?

I had an incident in Boston one time. I was walking home on a public street after buying a six pack at the liquor store. Evidently a car pulled up on my left and said something to me. I never heard it; I'm deaf in my left ear. However the gentleman walking with me never heard anything either.

This cop jumps out of this unmarked car and is IRATE with me that I didn't stop when he called me. Since when am I under any obligation to stop for just random guys driving down the road who yell things out their window? Do the police really advise that?

He screamed at me, "So, whaddya deaf?" Well, yeah, actually....He was a real jerk, trying to goad me into doing something he could arrest me for. He said they were checking on that liquor store to see if they were selling to underage kids. I wasn't underaged and showed him my ID. That wasn't good enough, he then wanted to see my BU ID as if that had anything to do with the case, and then asked why I didn't have the current year sticker on the card!

These days he probably would have just shot me when I didn't stop for him and claimed I was reaching for a gun. But seriously, what if I were deaf in both ears? What do cops do? If a cop asks a deaf person to put their hands up and they can't hear, do they just start shooting? That cop shot Tamir Rice before the car even stopped moving; there's no way I believe he told him three times to put his hands up, but even if he had issued an order, you have to give people time to hear and comprehend the order.

And good cops take the time to talk to people and reason with them instead of hurting them.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
No, he did not deserve to die, however, he deserve to respect the law.......he brought it upon himself......if he would have obeyed the laws, and the police orders, he will still be alive......

Listen to this......this young man has lots of common sense.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGGalRcTxA

^^^^ exactly, this.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post

The video showed him arguing with cops. That doesn't make him a threat to them. He didn't pick the fight with the cops, they picked a fight with him.

The coroner's report says he died as a result of pressure put on his was killed by neck compression from the illegal chokehold, along with "the compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police".

Obviously you're wrong that he wouldn't have been able to tell them he couldn't breathe. He really couldn't breathe. You could hear the panic in his voice that got weaker each time. Maybe in the other examples you cite, those people really couldn't breathe either, but cops are predispositioned to disbelieve everyone. Maybe they luckily stopped just short of killing someone and now they don't believe anyone. They had four cops on top of him and his hands behind his back - how could he pull a weapon on anyone? It seems cops are always imagining they see guns....

By the way, they had no evidence that he was selling loose cigarettes, and they still don't, so basically they were just hassling him and hoping to get lucky. And killed him in the process. I don't really understand how they thought they were making an arrest with no evidence anyway. What a waste of police manpower.

You can think whatever you want of Garner, but the police should have given him medical assistance and they didn't. It was clear he was not well. But then, they also didn't help Tamir Rice after they shot him, and they let Mike Brown's body sit there for five hours, and never called Trayvon Martin's parents to tell him their son was dead, even though they'd reported him missing and they had Trayvon's cell phone.

Total lack of humanity and responsibility by people who are over armed and over fearful.

I want to know why police officers don't have to live by the same laws they enforce. How about that time in Boston they broke into that ministers apt, with masks on and guns drawn, because they had the wrong apartment. They pepper gassed him and he died of a heart attack. Why weren't they charged with home invasion? Anybody else would have been. I would be in jail right now if I did to Garner what that officer did to him. And you can bet I'd be in jail if I blinded a baby by throwing a stun grenade into her crib.

So I understand why people protest. If the police are never held accountable, what's next? It will only get worse. Police forces are becoming para military units and using swat teams for everything these days, and who will protect us from the police? Not this Supreme Court, certainly.

It sounds like you're a police officer. I have a question for you. In your training, do they ever address that there may be times you give an order to a person who is deaf, blind or otherwise unable to comprehend you and that you should make sure they heard and understand you before you shoot?

I had an incident in Boston one time. I was walking home on a public street after buying a six pack at the liquor store. Evidently a car pulled up on my left and said something to me. I never heard it; I'm deaf in my left ear. However the gentleman walking with me never heard anything either.

This cop jumps out of this unmarked car and is IRATE with me that I didn't stop when he called me. Since when am I under any obligation to stop for just random guys driving down the road who yell things out their window? Do the police really advise that?

He screamed at me, "So, whaddya deaf?" Well, yeah, actually....He was a real jerk, trying to goad me into doing something he could arrest me for. He said they were checking on that liquor store to see if they were selling to underage kids. I wasn't underaged and showed him my ID. That wasn't good enough, he then wanted to see my BU ID as if that had anything to do with the case, and then asked why I didn't have the current year sticker on the card!

These days he probably would have just shot me when I didn't stop for him and claimed I was reaching for a gun. But seriously, what if I were deaf in both ears? What do cops do? If a cop asks a deaf person to put their hands up and they can't hear, do they just start shooting? That cop shot Tamir Rice before the car even stopped moving; there's no way I believe he told him three times to put his hands up, but even if he had issued an order, you have to give people time to hear and comprehend the order.

And good cops take the time to talk to people and reason with them instead of hurting them.

Amazing; how did you happen to actually BE in Ferguson MO, New York City, and Providence on all these dates.

Amazing; how did you get a certified copy of the MO and the NY Grand Jury Decisions from the courts?

Here is some comprehension for you: watch the video above !

Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 AM

548 posts, read 816,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post

In your training, do they ever address that there may be times you give an order to a person who is deaf, blind or otherwise unable to comprehend you and that you should make sure they heard and understand you before you shoot?
I wasn't going to continue on this thread, but this post brought me back. Would a cop shoot or taze a deaf person for failing to respond, even if causing no other trouble? Entirely possible.

Just as personal anecdotes, my wife has worked in the criminal justice system for 15 years, in three different cities. The problems of cops dealing with people with people with physical and mental disabilities was something she worked with extensively in one job. In one case, a late middle-aged woman went into a diabetic low-blood sugar attack and was basically in siezure. Family member called in a medical emergency to 911, and police rather than EMT was first on the scene. The cops barged in, started yelling at the woman to stop twitching, answer their questions, etc. When the woman in the hypoglycemic siezure of course did *not* comply, they tazed her. Repeatedly. Family members were of course trying to explain, then yelling at cops to stop, which led to them being tacked and cuffed. Cops even got in an argument with the paramedics when they showed up and wondered WTF was going on. No disciplinary action taken.

Or the 20-something guy with severe mental development disabilities. Basically had the cognitive skills of a small kid. He managed to wander away from his care facility, which put in a call to police to help find the missing patient. When the cops did find him on the street, again, agressively demanded compliance, answers, ID, etc., and mentally retarded dude did not -- could not -- comply immediately. The cops made no claim of threatening behavior on his part, just lack of compliance. So they slam him to the pavement, taze him, cuff him, and arrest him. What's notable in his case is that exact scenario had played out before, to the point that there was already a court order for the PD to improve their training and specifically to notify their officers about this specific person. Nonetheless, no disciplinary action.

I could go on. And on. But you are entirely right, sandsonik, about the issues the disabled face in dealing with today's cops.

Then again, it might or might not be an issue for you. In both of those cases, and most of the cases, the person in question was black. And *that* is the underlying issue that the protestors are angry about, even if off base in the specifics of these cases.

I'll grant that Garner was breaking the law (selling cigs), and even that he showed some resistance to the cops. The case that the officer was within the law has some merit.

The difference is in how black and white people are treated differently in such encounters. It is clear from statistics, or from anyone who works in the system, that on average if a white kid is observed with a joint, with a beer if they are under 21, jaywalking, or just hanging out in a park at night, they're going to be treated differently than the average black kid doing the same thing. Verbal warning vs an arrest maybe. And if that kid mouths off or tries to pull away from the cop, again, a small escalation in force, or full-on use of force and a 'resisting arrest' charge? The heavy-handed response may be legally acceptable given the provocation, but with a white suspect the cop is more likely to try something lower on the continuum before escalating.

Not all cops. Not every time. But enough of a pattern that it is real and obvious, and *that* is why people get so angry.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 AM

548 posts, read 816,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^^ exactly, this.
Interesting, isn't it, that we don't see many such videos aimed at *white* teens? Isn't it incumbent upon them to also know how to behave with cops?

As I note in my post above, white kids are far more likely to be able to make "mistakes" in their dealings with police and to live to tell about it. Exact same attitude and exact same moves by a white kid might result in being tacked or yelled at by cops in an encounter, where the black kid doing the same thing gets shot.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:48 AM

9,291 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Amazing; how did you happen to actually BE in Ferguson MO, New York City, and Providence on all these dates.

Amazing; how did you get a certified copy of the MO and the NY Grand Jury Decisions from the courts?
This has got to be one of the most lame and ridiculous responses I have ever read on this board.

One now has to be an actual eye witness to comment on current events?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:22 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If they are that worried about "Blacks being killed by police"; their time would be much better utilized educating "Blacks" about respecting authority, complying with instruction from police, and that it's not a good idea to assault or threaten law enforcement. Not one of these deaths had to happen, the knuckleheads each brought it upon themselves. But of course nothing will be learned, as the era of personal responsibility is long gone.
Yes! Of course, 'dem Black folk should know their place. Honestly, this is as near-racist a rant as I have read on this forum, unconsciously, I think, but there it is.

Quote:
As for Brown students: I understand their entrance requirements to be very stringent, but some I've interacted from time to time have failed to impress me. Nothing but pampered little brats who lack the real life experience required to interpret how the earth spins around.
Really? How many have you interacted with? At what level, and in what context? I mean, you don't strike me as an Ivy, you don't live in PVD, you don't socialize with kids (I suspect), and your opportunity to interact with Brownies, it seems, is limited if not possible. And your clear resentment that perhaps they come from wealthier families than yours raises all manner of flags of envy, so I'll leave it at that. I think we have a very clear understanding of your biases, though I suspect you do not.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:52 PM

522 posts, read 695,384 times
Is it an dumb thing to protest about? Maybe. But I'm, personally, glad to see that we live in a free society where people can protest. Yes, even about stupid things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island