Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move Out of Rhode Island If You Could?
Yes 26 61.90%
No 16 38.10%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 02:16 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times

Advertisements

Just within the past month, I met three people who had recently moved within 10 miles of my neighborhood ! right here near Asheville -- and they are all native RI'ers.

1. The girl at Michael's craft store in Asheville, she recognized my Cape Cod sweatshirt, and said Cape Cahhhd. I said, "Hmmm, say that again? where are you from?" -- she moved here 6 months ago from Coventry, a lifetime RI'er, grad'd from Coventry High. Came here on a vacation, went home and packed up. Loves it.

2. A husband and wife shopping at CVS, standing behind me in line a few weeks ago evidently recognized my accent and wife said: "I seem to recognize your accent", "where are you from"? Rhode Island I answered. "Wow the wife said, we are just moving in, waiting for the moving van. Staying at the ---- Inn down the road. Their pickup truck was next to my car in the lot, sure enough Rhode Island license tags! They wanted to know where the tag office is, so they followed me over there.

3. The cashier at the Rite-Aid store next town over, from East Greenwich; said she and hubby have been here 6 years. I asked her to say coffee. "Cawfee" she said. OK, I said, you're a native RI'er for sure.

4. Two others in my subdivision, one moved here last year, and one the year before. Portsmouth & Warwick.

I suppose we could start a RI Club, like they have all over Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 03:11 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Have you considered Iran? Iran has lots of wide open spaces. Friendly people? Iranians are very friendly people, and very fashionable, if you like black.
Why does one have to go all the way to Iran for wide open spaces and friendly people? Thankfully, we have that here in the good old U.S.of.A.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I find this very sad. Not your moving, Lord knows, as that's a personal choice. But counting down the days? What are you, a prisoner at the ACI, scratching off the days until you are a free (wo)man? Good God! What kind of life is this -- counting down the days? What life does this give you? Dude, have a bake sale, cut waaaaaaay down on the Dunkins, have a yard sale, just move the needle and leave, as you are so pathetically unhappy.
Some of us, you know, work for a living and can't just "move the needle" to our dream destination. Guy is probably waiting on retirement or something, as many RIers do when they can then get the heck out.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:20 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Some of us, you know, work for a living and can't just "move the needle" to our dream destination. Guy is probably waiting on retirement or something, as many RIers do when they can then get the heck out.
Yes, that's true, and you may well be right. For myself, happiness is Job #1, so perhaps I see circumstances through a different prism. But the retirement aspect could be a showstopper, if that's the case.

But it goes beyond that particular poster. Many other people whine and moan and do nothing -- nothing -- to change their circumstances, and it's not unique to Rhode Island.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:14 PM

548 posts, read 816,543 times
Quote:
Really? Just curious, where would you move if circumstances were aligned?
Ideally, west coast / mountain west. Much prefer the scenery, weather, and attitudes.

I prefer Boston to Providence, too -- I've lived in both -- though the cost of living difference means I'd have to think hard if a Boston opportunity came up at the same pay I make here.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:55 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Default Would You Move Out of Rhode Island If You Could?

One of the problems too, is people in other parts of the country can be quite stupid. People in New England, even RI, are a bit more sophisticated than in many other parts of this country.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
One of the problems too, is people in other parts of the country can be quite stupid.
Like where?

Old 04-02-2015, 04:59 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Like where?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific American
Average IQ varies in the states. (Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont are at the high end, for example; California, Louisiana, and Mississippi are near the low end.)

Notice I didn't have to hold my nose and swim in the right wing pollution looking for a cite. Scientific American is non-partisan.

Face it, when a a state chooses NOT to invest in early childhood education, NOT invest in healthy air and water, NOT invest in nutrition programs of the poor and NOT extend the ACA to its citizens, the outcomes are, you know, like, pretty predictable.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
One of the problems too, is people in other parts of the country can be quite stupid. People in New England, even RI, are a bit more sophisticated than in many other parts of this country.
Thanks for the hump day chuckle! This made my City-Data day. It must be that certain Woonsocket sense of style that tilts the scale!

Old 04-08-2015, 10:41 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
We all work for a living no matter which state we live in. In the past two weeks, I've had a 47 year old and a 51 year old acquaintance die. I don't see the point of postponing happiness until a retirement that may never happen. How does a happy retirement make up for being miserable for 65 years, during the prime of your life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island