Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 05:04 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
According to this link, parking is $6.75/day at TF Green. Not sure where mp775 got the figure of $5/day.
Green Airport | InterLink Parking | PVD | Rhode Island. That must be outdated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 05:06 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Why haven't they gone to electric?
Because they move equipment around from line to line, and Providence is the only one with wires.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:59 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,290 times
Wow, thanks, everyone. Wasn't expecting this much of a response.

I'm surprised nobody recommended my plan: Drive to Providence, park at the mall (I was hoping someone would suggest something cheaper), take the 7:35, which gets into Back Bay at 8:46. The building I'm heading to is apparently a five-minute walk away, though if I get there a little after 9, nobody's going to complain. I'm not enamored of the idea of a 6:52 train considering I normally wake up at 6:20 -- and I know I'm going to have to get up earlier for this, but yikes, I don't want to get up at like 5 a.m.

I don't like the fact that it typically takes me less than 10 minutes longer to drive to the Providence train station than it takes me to drive to TF Green, but there are 20 minutes between those two stops. Seems like a bad deal time-wise. However, that doesn't take rush hour into account. Most of all, though, I don't like the infrequency of the trains from TF Green. I'd guess I'd eat the extra 10 minutes for the convenience of TF Green, but is it really worth getting up much earlier because there are no trains that get in between 8:11 and 9:27?

I'm leaning TF Green now after this advice. The bus is a nice idea and I live less than a five-minute walk from Route 1, but I'm not taking it at 6:23 a.m. and I'd rather be home in time to put my kid to bed (as would my wife). Really, I was hoping someone would say, "Just drive to Attleboro," but it now seems like that's not a very good idea.

I don't think I want to leave home less than 25 minutes or so before the train leaves. I've never done this before and I need to play it safe and allow room for error. I'm assuming no traffic at that hour. So that means leaving no later than 6:27. I'll skip breakfast and I guess wake up at around 5:45. Not so terrible, I guess. Only around half an hour less sleep. (I'm thinking out loud here, if you can't tell.)

By the way, I should mention that my generous employer will pay for my travel expenses if they're above and beyond what I typically pay to commute. That means free parking and free train ticket. Still, expensing stuff is such a hassle (I haven't even done it once in the past two years at this job) and time is money, so honestly, if parking were cheap enough I probably wouldn't bother.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 PM

3,818 posts, read 2,701,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I'm surprised nobody recommended my plan: Drive to Providence, park at the mall (I was hoping someone would suggest something cheaper), take the 7:35, which gets into Back Bay at 8:46. The building I'm heading to is apparently a five-minute walk away, though if I get there a little after 9, nobody's going to complain. I'm not enamored of the idea of a 6:52 train considering I normally wake up at 6:20 -- and I know I'm going to have to get up earlier for this, but yikes, I don't want to get up at like 5 a.m.
I mentioned that train, the 810, which is the one that gets into BBY at 8:46, but thought it might be too close to your arrival time. I wasn't sure if their were ramifications to being late nor how far from the station you would have to travel. (I don't like to be late to work...) But also, Providence station @ $20/day for parking vs. TF Green @ $6.75 (or $5?) is a big difference. I guess it depends on how much those dollars mean to you. If you're expensing it...
Quote:
I don't like the fact that it typically takes me less than 10 minutes longer to drive to the Providence train station than it takes me to drive to TF Green, but there are 20 minutes between those two stops. Seems like a bad deal time-wise. However, that doesn't take rush hour into account.
The traffic at that hour into Providence is a little unpredictable. I've never seen it be awful, but it could add that 10 minutes you're looking to save. To me, I'd trade 10 minutes if I can read or do something else productive rather than drive the car.

Quote:
I don't think I want to leave home less than 25 minutes or so before the train leaves. I've never done this before and I need to play it safe and allow room for error. I'm assuming no traffic at that hour. So that means leaving no later than 6:27. I'll skip breakfast and I guess wake up at around 5:45. Not so terrible, I guess. Only around half an hour less sleep. (I'm thinking out loud here, if you can't tell.)
I guess that depends on whether you're driving to Providence or not. I have found that arriving at Providence station (not at the parking lot...) 10 minutes in advance is ample time, but you're wise to allow extra time and familiarize yourself with the process. But I think an assumption that there will be no traffic at that hour is not a good one in Providence.

You still haven't said anything about when you are returning. If you do choose Providence, you might be able to cut some time off the return trip by taking Amtrak Northeast Regional to Providence Station. It's more expensive but far fewer stops in between and the ride back from Boston can be much faster than the ride up on the NER.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:55 PM

296 posts, read 532,739 times
Quote:
Another reason not to own a car... pathetic indignities, like dealing with parking lots. That said, he prolly should go to the airport, which I hear has very easy parking.

Re: PVD traffic. I was on RIPTA bus a few months ago and this bus driver was so determined to make it to KP on time that she manhandled that mutli-ton, 35ft bus into the breakdown lane and just tooled into the city. We were passing cars! It was a great moment, a bit of Rhode Island's glorious tenacity.
Pretty sure that's standard for buses everywhere...

Old 07-17-2015, 07:57 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,290 times
Quote:
I guess that depends on whether you're driving to Providence or not. I have found that arriving at Providence station (not at the parking lot...) 10 minutes in advance is ample time, but you're wise to allow extra time and familiarize yourself with the process. But I think an assumption that there will be no traffic at that hour is not a good one in Providence.
I was assuming no traffic to TF Green before 7 a.m.

Quote:
You still haven't said anything about when you are returning. If you do choose Providence, you might be able to cut some time off the return trip by taking Amtrak Northeast Regional to Providence Station. It's more expensive but far fewer stops in between and the ride back from Boston can be much faster than the ride up on the NER.
Well, I was focusing on the morning trip because the evening is pretty fluid. There's no set time I typically leave work -- the workday ends at 5, but that never happens. Sometimes I even have meetings past 5. I guess if I'm going to TF Green, I'll shoot for the 5:45, which gets me in at 7:02 and probably gets me home around 7:15.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:53 PM

3,818 posts, read 2,701,868 times
Quote:
You save $3 by buying prior to boarding. If there isn't an option to buy a ticket at the MBTA stop @ PVD airport, the $3 penalty is waived. Access to the station @ PVD is really messed up, due to construction.
Got it, thanks AB. It's definitely screwed up parking at the station itself, but that lot has been too small for a long time.It's also screwed up pickup/drop off on the downcity side of the station, but for someone parking at the mall and walking over to the station that's a moot point I think.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:18 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Because they move equipment around from line to line, and Providence is the only one with wires.
I didn't know that. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:55 AM

120 posts, read 235,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I've heard this from a conductor as well, would've helped during the winter. I might be wrong, but isn't south coast rail to New Bedford/Fall River going to be electrified?

It is five dollars to park at T.F Green, no overnight parking FWIW. If you know that you can't catch the 5:45 from Back Bay (aka the 5:40 from S. Station) at night, you may want to consider Providence or S. Attleboro as the next one isn't until after 8.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:00 AM

120 posts, read 235,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Wow, thanks, everyone. Wasn't expecting this much of a response.

I don't like the fact that it typically takes me less than 10 minutes longer to drive to the Providence train station than it takes me to drive to TF Green, but there are 20 minutes between those two stops. Seems like a bad deal time-wise. However, that doesn't take rush hour into account. Most of all, though, I don't like the infrequency of the trains from TF Green. I'd guess I'd eat the extra 10 minutes for the convenience of TF Green, but is it really worth getting up much earlier because there are no trains that get in between 8:11 and 9:27?

I'm leaning TF Green now after this advice. The bus is a nice idea and I live less than a five-minute walk from Route 1, but I'm not taking it at 6:23 a.m. and I'd rather be home in time to put my kid to bed (as would my wife). Really, I was hoping someone would say, "Just drive to Attleboro," but it now seems like that's not a very good idea.

By the way, I should mention that my generous employer will pay for my travel expenses if they're above and beyond what I typically pay to commute. That means free parking and free train ticket. Still, expensing stuff is such a hassle (I haven't even done it once in the past two years at this job) and time is money, so honestly, if parking were cheap enough I probably wouldn't bother.
Literally so much of your concerns are what commuters from Green and Wickford Jct complain about. It sucks if you have a meeting or a busy day from work and miss the 5:45 from BBY. It's either go into Providence and get a ride, Uber/Taxi, or the bus. Actually there is a bus to the airport every 15-20 min (or maybe its every 1/2h) so it isn't too bad although as the bus is usually not #14 it takes awhile as it uses the surface roads.

It's funny that you mentioned the long time the 20min it takes the train to get to Providence. The tracks parallel 95 and I always see cars zooming by
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island