Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:27 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
For the record, everyone talks about West Warwick like it's this hole, but it doesn't seem so bad to me. It definitely looks in better shape than Central Falls, Woonsocket and Pawtucket. The center of town could be prettier, but really, it just seems industrial -- the industry has to go somewhere.
The town has a stigma due to the entire downtown area being pretty dilapidated. But you are right, there are some nice areas. New London Turnpike, including the neighborhoods off of it such as Greenbush, or around Cowesett Ave. There are multi-million dollar homes in the Wakefield neighborhood.

But West Warwick is often associated with Arctic and Crompton instead of with Greenbush and Wakefield. Like most cities and towns, you're going to find good pockets, even when the rest of the town is in need of gentrification (or just bulldozing)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 11:03 AM

4,405 posts, read 3,198,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
The town has a stigma due to the entire downtown area being pretty dilapidated. But you are right, there are some nice areas. New London Turnpike, including the neighborhoods off of it such as Greenbush, or around Cowesett Ave. There are multi-million dollar homes in the Wakefield neighborhood.

But West Warwick is often associated with Arctic and Crompton instead of with Greenbush and Wakefield. Like most cities and towns, you're going to find good pockets, even when the rest of the town is in need of gentrification (or just bulldozing)..
And Artic is looking better than it's looked in years. Crompton, not so much, unfortunately.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
And Artic is looking better than it's looked in years. Crompton, not so much, unfortunately.
I will admit, I haven't been there in a little over, but that is great news! I was a member at Club Frontenac for a few years prior to moving.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I will admit, I haven't been there in a little over, but that is great news! I was a member at Club Frontenac for a few years prior to moving.
Going to a benefit there this month; somehow I've never been there, even though I have friends who are members and have been invited several times. My mom and dad used to go from time to time for fish and chips or steak fries, but Dad was a Phenix SportsClub man himself.

West Warwick must have more social clubs per square mile than any place in the state, LOL. Three Portuguese clubs alone.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
CF is less than 35,000 people. It is even smaller than WW.
Yes and no - it's the most densely populated city in the state. Heck, it's more densely populated than Boston.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:29 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,911,147 times
I think WW has a certain charm to it and parts of it are quite pretty but it suffers from a high rate of poverty along with the attendant ills of drugs, alcoholism, & crime. Old mill town syndrome.

CF is, as Sandsonik says, high density, also houses many recent (many illegal) migrants who don't speak English- also high crime.

Throwing a little grant money at either of these places wouldn't solve the overriding issues.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:01 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Pawtucket is no prize either. There are very few decent or safe neighborhoods in Pawtucket; it's been going downhill for years.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Going to a benefit there this month; somehow I've never been there, even though I have friends who are members and have been invited several times. My mom and dad used to go from time to time for fish and chips or steak fries, but Dad was a Phenix SportsClub man himself.

West Warwick must have more social clubs per square mile than any place in the state, LOL. Three Portuguese clubs alone.
Ok, now you made me miss the steak fry. I don't think we have any of those out here. We're not nearly as ethno-centric here in the West (other than the large Mexican population that holds celebrations from time to time in certain parts of town), so I haven't seen any social clubs that are designated as French, Portuguese, Italian, etc.

I still get the monthly newsletters from Frontenac in the mail, even though I haven't been there in a couple years. I don't even know how they found my address in Nevada! LOL It was a nice club, very charitable. Have fun!

Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,911,147 times
Funny. When we drive to Hartford out RTE 44 I always notice the Hungarian Social Club over the CT line in a very rural area.
Always wonder if there's some kind of a pocket of Hungarians out there in the woods?????

Old 10-02-2015, 02:56 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Yes and no - it's the most densely populated city in the state. Heck, it's more densely populated than Boston.
Don't see how density matters to any of this.

There used to be a sign up saying something to the effect of "A proud past with a promising future". Whatever LOL, although it's really not funny. It occupies a tiny land mass of one square mile and as far as redeeming qualities go, well I'm not even gonna say it...

The bottom line is, that while if there ever was city in need of a boost...

like HTree said it's nothing but rampant poverty crammed into substandard housing and a population with minimal odds of lifting the place out of it's current squalor. I once worked for a company that wouldn't even do sales in the city as it wasn't considered credit worthy. Now there are areas of Pawtucket and Providence that were also written off as places we did business. But for an entire city...

A few years back, I was headed back from somewhere and decided to grab a few burgers from Stanley's. They sure were delicious, but you can bet I sat right by the window and had one eye on my truck the entire meal.

So the fact that it is so small, has no nice areas to speak of (like even Pawtucket has a few); a destitute, non-assimilated and uneducated population; and no land area to develop; it really has no future as a self-sustaining city. It's only hope is either being demolished or absorbed by a neighbor (neither will happen). No infusion of tax dollars can save it from itself.

Last edited by massnative71; 10-02-2015 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island