Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:18 PM

41 posts, read 66,728 times

Advertisements

So speaking of winter weather. In what situations do things come to a vault there? I know my friend said last year they had a travel ban during a snow storm. She had to work cuz she's a nurse. In Nashville they will close schools if the back roads freeze over bc the buses can't get to the kids. We aren't prepared for any amount of winter weather even though we get more and more each year. I know in RI they are more prepared. I know others including my friend who have said winter is hit or miss but I know it will be more that what we are use to. What advice can you give besides dressing for winter? We do plan on selling our vehicles before we move and purchasing new ones when we arrive in RI. My husband needs a new truck anyway and my little electric hatch back probably won't be the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 09:50 PM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
winter here really isnt as bad as you've probably heard. last year was a fluke. it does get cold (to me thats in the 10 to 30 degree range)when the arctic fronts pass through, but they dont typicaly last more than a day or two. the roads are pretty clear after an average storm (6-10 inch.) nothing really ever shuts down,except during the hight of a big storm...otherwise life goes on. snow storms arent going to be the problem tho, its gonna be the ice(but doesnt happen often). in either case, just drive slow and you will be fine. although if you live in the north west corner of the state you will get a lil more snow than the rest of the state do to elevation..it isnt much but it can make a difference.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:35 PM

296 posts, read 532,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
So speaking of winter weather. In what situations do things come to a vault there? I know my friend said last year they had a travel ban during a snow storm. She had to work cuz she's a nurse. In Nashville they will close schools if the back roads freeze over bc the buses can't get to the kids. We aren't prepared for any amount of winter weather even though we get more and more each year. I know in RI they are more prepared. I know others including my friend who have said winter is hit or miss but I know it will be more that what we are use to. What advice can you give besides dressing for winter? We do plan on selling our vehicles before we move and purchasing new ones when we arrive in RI. My husband needs a new truck anyway and my little electric hatch back probably won't be the best
I lived in northern Maine for a spell, and in ri during the bad storm last year. In both places I had a two wheel drive sedan. Regular tires. I was at work in Massachusetts the day after the big storm last year. There's no need for special trucks or tires. The roads are plowed and as long as you know how to drive there's no problem.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:40 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I work right down the street from Woonsocket, in Cumberland, and I know a bunch of people who live in Woonsocket by choice. One is a young professional who just bought a house there last month -- I was just talking to him about it last week. All are white-collar types who make good livings. I'm sure they're attracted not just by proximity to the office but by the fact that you can get a lot for the money there.

But there seems to be a decent number of people who think these are acceptable trade-offs for cheap real estate and an easy commute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
This is patently false. There are people who see opportunity in that real estate market, as boulevardofdef posted. One can get more house for the money in Woonsocket than some of the nearby towns. It can be an opportunity for some to pocket some money instead of spending it on rent.

I meant that no one lives there by choice in that they WANT to live there. Living there because you can get more house for your money there than anywhere else around, or because it is all you can afford; is different from actually WANTING to live in Woonsocket.

Woonsocket IS NOT a nice city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Don't forget that people whose minds haven't been savaged by the passage of time, particularly young people, can see opportunity where others cannot. Their minds don't have to cling to a contorted world view.
Opportunity? LOL (read "Section 8 Welcome" or "no references or stable job required").

Have a good night, I'm going back to my "contorted" world view.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:17 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
I know several people in white collar, northern RI, jobs who live in the North End of Woonsocket - by choice. The historic residential neighborhood is very quiet and off the beaten traffic path. They enjoy owning grand houses which would cost them more than twice as much on Providence's East Side. None of these friends have children, so the poor reputation of the public school system there isn't a factor.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:50 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
The northeast is generally well equipped with snow removal equipment; the roads are plowed and treated with salt (& sand). Improved weather forecasting is generally tapped to better mobilize the effort. With the exception of big events such as blizzards, usually the crews can keep the major roads passable such that four wheel drive vehicles aren't really necessary. Minor roads always take a back seat and are cleared later and often not as well as the major roads.

A front wheel drive hatchback driven sensibly works fine so long as you have a good set of seasonally-appropriate tires (either good all-season or winter tires). In extreme storms the dynamics change, and the states of RI/MA/CT/NY have a tendency to impose travel bans such that you can't be out on the roads anyway (I'm not a fan of this policy, just reporting the way it is). Those who work in a field where they would be considered "essential personnel" during emergency situations and have to report to work anyway, probably would need AWD/4WD.

Also, the road salt does a number on our roads, and on our vehicles. Both wear out faster in NE than less wintry places.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:44 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
winter here really isnt as bad as you've probably heard. last year was a fluke. it does get cold (to me thats in the 10 to 30 degree range)when the arctic fronts pass through, but they dont typicaly last more than a day or two. the roads are pretty clear after an average storm (6-10 inch.) nothing really ever shuts down,except during the hight of a big storm...otherwise life goes on. snow storms arent going to be the problem tho, its gonna be the ice(but doesnt happen often). in either case, just drive slow and you will be fine. although if you live in the north west corner of the state you will get a lil more snow than the rest of the state do to elevation..it isnt much but it can make a difference.
The Woonsocket area is more likely to get an 18 inch snowfall than 15 miles south in the Providence area. Many times it will snow in Woonsocket but not Providence. Last years big snowstorm (almost a year ago) brought 18 inches to the south (Providence toward the coast) but 2-3 feet in northern Rhode Island (North and Northwest of Providence). You can count on a storm of this type once every 2-3 years. But it has much to do with elevation and distance from the coast. So far this year we have had but two inches of snow in northern R.I. Last year at this time our winter was just beginning with cold temps and snow that lasted thru March. Depending on where you lived the snowfall was 6 feet to 10 feet in a short span of 10 weeks, BUT this is not normal. Good luck on your choice.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Regardless , adjusting to more winter weather is going to be interesting. In Nashville we get dusting a up to 2 inches. Most times it snows and melts in one day. When we have ahead storm like last January and February it comes in the form of a ice storm. Last year each storm stayed around for about a week. Not fun bc no one can drive on ice and we are not prepared for that. Though that doesn't happen every year. Some years we see nothing. I'm a hair stylist so more than likely I will be traveling to providence for work depending on what I find. Living in Woonsocket would be temporary in the beginning until we find where we want to buy. We like living in a smaller area with access to a city . We live outside of Nashville but have relatively easy access to the city. Traffic here is terrible since it appears Nashville is the new it place for people to move.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
These links to RI newspapers may be helpful to you:

The Providence Journal (covers the whole state):

Home - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

The Valley Breeze (covers northern RI by area):

http://www.valleybreeze.com/

Old 01-17-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
These links to RI newspapers may be helpful to you:

The Providence Journal (covers the whole state):

Home - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

The Valley Breeze (covers northern RI by area):

The Valley Breeze

Cool thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island