Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 02:24 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermn View Post
Well, the East Bay Bike Path is one of the aspects that got me intrigued by Bristol, plus the water on three sides. I see the weather is less severe(cold) in southern NE, which I would prefer.
I know the skiing isn't like out West, but at least it's there!
My budget for a house would have to be below 350k. Plus, being an empty-nester, I'd not need so much house..I've thought of Mystic as well..seems that COL is lower in RI vs. CT (?)
Oops, I just noticed the East Bay Bike Path was mentioned earlier in this thread.

GeoffD suggested coastal Maine as an alternative, and there's no denying that that's a great area, but if you want warmer weather, Maine definitely isn't going to cut it. Also, I always hear those beaches described as not really swimmable due to low water temperatures, though I've never been there in the summer and when I see photos, there's usually a decent number of people in the water, so who knows.

You could do a small house for under $350k in Bristol. Don't get me wrong, it'd be small, but it's doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 02:25 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
I need to get back to sailing, skiing and hiking that the Golden State offers. We always enjoyed visiting New England and wonder if Rhode Island would be THAT place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Rhode Island isn't exactly a hiking and skiing mecca.

Take a look into Portland, Maine. It's a shorter sailing season but Casco Bay has great sailing and you're already positioned to get yourself more "downeast" for extended cruising in Penobscot Bay ad points east of there, arguably the best sailing on the east coast. You have Sunday River 90 minutes away for skiing and Sugarloaf an hour further. Plenty of hiking but bring a supply of Deet. The black fly is the state bird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
RI is loaded with walking and hiking trails and great sailing. A few for starters: Explore Rhode Island: Walking Trail List

To snow ski, you head north. Personally, I prefer southern New England's weather, especially if you are older. Another place you might look at is Mystic, CT.
GeoffD is right about Rhode Island not exactly being a hiking or skiing mecca. There are walking and hiking trails as Hollytree says, of course, though they aren't challenging. One of the great rewards of a challenging uphill hike is a scenic vista, and Rhode Island doesn't really have the necessary topography for that kind of hiking with a few exceptions. It's plenty scenic, mind you, but it doesn't have grueling uphill terrain to make you earn it. To go hiking in what amounts to some of the best hiking in New England, either in the White Mountains of New Hampshire or various spots in Maine, requires a significant drive. Skiing is generally the same story. It can be done; it just depends on how often you want to go. What kind of balance of those activities are you looking for?

Portland is going to be much more wintry, both in intensity and length of season. It's a great little city. I prefer Rhode Island but I could see living in Portland too. We definitely have better weather unless you are a snow sports fanatic.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:18 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
I'd head to Cape Cod.

MA is nicer to retirees' income than RI.

And $350K wouldn't be an issue.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:06 PM

8 posts, read 6,346 times
thanks to all of you. Good info for me to digest.....I see that RI taxes social security income, always a trade off somewhere..

Old 01-23-2016, 06:10 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Going to depend on your overall income.

Don't forget to come back and let us know your impressions after your trip.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:44 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Close to the center of Bristol would meet most all the needs you have listed. It is fairly compact and very walk-able. The harbor and Independence Park are just a block from the main drag (Hope Street). There is a harbor walk around the new waterfront condos. The East Bay Bike Path starts at Independence park. You would be able to walk to the town hall, library, post office, banks, shops, and restaurants. The town has great architecture and character. Having a university also gives it a more youthful vibe. It is also home to the country's longest running (dates to 1785) 4th of July parade which it has great pride in.

Wickford is a nice village but it there is not nearly as much there as in Bristol. Bristol has much more of a complete town feel to it.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:40 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
I am a California native and spent most of my life either working or relaxing on the water. We left CA for KY to try somewhere different. It's been interesting, but now after 3 years, I need to get back to sailing, skiing and hiking that the Golden State offers. We always enjoyed visiting New England and wonder if Rhode Island would be THAT place. We tend to be socially conservative, but coming from CA it's not like we didn't live as minorities most of our lives with respect to politics and religious faith. I have my sights on Bristol and wonder if there are really any compelling reasons to choose there over say, a more rural town. I know distances are minuscule in RI compared CA!
pl
Bristol is a terrific town, especially if you're into the water. I would also, check out the Massachusetts Farm Coast towns of Westport and Dartmouth. Tiverton and Little Compton RI are also included in the "Farm Coast" region. These towns have plenty of water opportunities and are quite rural in nature.

I also mention these towns as residents can be considered a bit socially conservative - in the best New England way. As in much of New England, conservatism in these towns can never be confused with how it's lived is such places as the south and parts of the midwest. People are personally very conservative, however many also have progressive values. Regardless, for the most part they are tolerant about how their neighbors live, as long as they do no harm.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:52 AM

8 posts, read 6,346 times
Thanks for insight on Bristol, I have gathered as much about it's long maritime connection, especially yacht design and building. I do tend to favor the small rural town atmosphere, but now that I'm older and alone I don't know how well I would fit anymore outside I'd of a small city/town i.e. Bristol.
I'm surely going to go through Little Compton and the others. Like that term "Farm Coast" :-)

Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Bristol is very nice but also pretty expensive for the area. I think that Warren is a much better value as far as housing costs are concerned, and you can drive to Bristol in a few minutes, or bike or even walk to Bristol (depending where you are in Warren). With so many fancy restaurants opening up in the last few years, many people say that Warren has better eating establishments than Bristol. It's closer to I-195, and has a (small) downtown. The EB bike path goes through Warren, and the Colt State Park itself is only a few minutes away. The schools are not very good in either towns. For larger retail stores, you'd have to drive to Seekonk or Swansea, MA which are 5-15 minute away from Warren. You may also like the Touissete area of Warren, an exclusive area right by the water. It's very pretty.

Portsmouth, RI, across the Mount Hope Bridge from Bristol also has nice areas by the ocean, though it is not that much cheaper than Bristol.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:44 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,833 times
I have lived in Bristol my entire life and if you are looking for water no matter where you live in town you are no more than a 5 minute car ride to the bay. The town's government system is led by an administrator who ran as an independent, and there is also a town council which both parties are pretty equally represented. Bristol does provides a small property tax exemption for seniors, veterans, and widows of veterans. R.I. taxes social security and pensions, but I believe disabled veteran's pensions are exempt.

Here is the breakdown of my monthly housing expenses for a 25 year old 2200 sq. ft house on a 15,000 sq. ft. lot with assessed value of $338,000 at a rate of $14.03 with no mortgage.

Gas for heat and dryer - $184 (this is paid every month all year on a budget plan)
Electric - $116 - no central air (this is paid every month all year on a budget plan)
Cable with land phone line an internet - $145
Home owner's insurance - $125
Car insurance - Ford Escape 2010 - $125
Water - paid quarterly - $200-$250
Property tax with sewer usage fee paid quarterly - $$1,298.34
Motor vehicle tax - paid quarterly - $45.24

So when you add to the above numbers health insurance for one person, food, and other expenses such as yard, car, and home maintenance minus entertainment and personal expenses such as prescription medications a low ball annual cost to live in a $300-$350,000 home is roughly $34,000 annually. If renting is also a consideration, a no frills one bedroom with no utilities other than water will be around $800 a month.

Hope you find this info helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island