Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 01:44 PM

54 posts, read 89,614 times

Advertisements

During the COVID pandemic DMV went to a reservation only system. As of last week it was announced that the reservations system will become permanent.

As of today there are 0 appointments available for new registrations at Cranston. The earliest available appointment at any other branch is 20 days out. Now you not only get to lose a half a day of work for the DMV, but you get to wait 20 days to register a new car. You can use the 48 hour plate transfer rule for a private party sale if you have plates coming off an old vehicle. After that I guess you drive illegally for 18 days or take the bus.

Before anyone suggests AAA, they do not process new titles and registrations, only registration renewals. These can also be done online without AAA.

How is the new and improved system working out for everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 02:27 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
It's awesome. I think new appointments are released at 3:00 Friday for the following week. I have been to Woonsocket four times under the reservation system, most recently two weeks ago; it so much more convenient than waiting for hours in the waiting room, and I have not had to wait more than a couple of days for an appointment as long as I checked between Friday afternoon and Monday morning. In and out in under 20 minutes; you lose half a lunch hour instead of half a day. I kept a printout of my appointment confirmation in the car in case I had to "extend" the 48 hour rule but it wasn't an issue.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:02 PM

54 posts, read 89,614 times
I will have to check Friday. I checked mid week last week and it was about 7-10 days out for new registrations. Everything up to 20 days out is blocked off in red right now. The concept is great but I think a 20 day wait to register a vehicle is excessive.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:57 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
My recent experience:

Made a reservation on Sunday, June 27 for Wednesday, June 30
Had to go back, the soonest I could get at 4:50 on June 30 was July 28. Cancelled at 5:40 because July 2 opened up.
Had to go back again, got an appointment on July 4 for July 9. There were other appointments available earlier in the week available, too.

Just keep checking.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:33 PM

12,817 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Just wanted to bump this to share my recent out-of-state transfer experience because I know there are constant searches for this info. I moved toward the end of 2023, but just got around to transferring my license and registration. I know, much later than legally required, but I had to jump through hoops for my title (more on that below) and I just had a hard time finding time.
  • The reservation system is fairly straightforward. I was discouraged like posters above when I checked and appointments weren't available until weeks later. However, I later discovered that appointments open up regularly, so check every couple of days and you shouldn't have trouble finding something within a week (I was looking for Cranston). I had to reschedule a few times and found that checking on Monday or Tuesday usually yielded availability within the next few days.
  • Coming from MA, a title state, I was required to have an original title. There are no exceptions - photocopies or "title info" printouts won't work. There are lots of posts on reddit and other places that seem to indicate copies are OK, but the law recently changed, and you must have the original if you're coming from a state that has titles. I heard no fewer than 5 exchanges where people had copies and were told that those copies will not work. If you're financing or leasing, you need the lienholder to send it to the DMV (or directly to you) - there's a form on the DMV website for this. For my bank, this took about 3 weeks from request to delivery (the DMV texted and emailed when they received it). So it's worth planning well in advance. My bank was reluctant to send an original and insisted a copy should work. I had to email a screenshot of the DMV website to get them to relent. YMMV.
  • VIN Check was painless (I went to the Cranston station). I had a title info printout from my bank's website and that was good enough. If you sent your title to the DMV, you can get a copy from the Research office for the VIN check. Took about 10 minutes from pulling in to having the paper in hand.
  • The DMV experience itself was pretty good. Brief line for check-in, before being sent to the 3rd floor (Research Office). Title in-hand and licenses are on the 2nd floor. I was seen immediately upon arriving on the 3rd floor and had my RI plates in-hand within 15 minutes. I was given a number for the 2nd floor (she initially tried sending me to the CDL window) and waited about 15 minutes before being seen for the license (Real ID). A quick eye test, and I was out of there in about 10 more minutes with my temp license in-hand.
All-in-all, less than an hour to register a car and get a Real ID. Impressively quick and painless. Last time I was at the MA RMV, I was there for over 2 hours, just to get a Real ID (and I had a reservation and the right paperwork).

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

684 posts, read 833,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1989 View Post
During the COVID pandemic DMV went to a reservation only system. As of last week it was announced that the reservations system will become permanent.

As of today there are 0 appointments available for new registrations at Cranston. The earliest available appointment at any other branch is 20 days out. Now you not only get to lose a half a day of work for the DMV, but you get to wait 20 days to register a new car. You can use the 48 hour plate transfer rule for a private party sale if you have plates coming off an old vehicle. After that I guess you drive illegally for 18 days or take the bus.

Before anyone suggests AAA, they do not process new titles and registrations, only registration renewals. These can also be done online without AAA.

How is the new and improved system working out for everyone?
Actually you don't wait a half a day anymore....that is why they are keeping the reservation system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: