Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,650 times

Advertisements

Does leasing a car help you avoid this tax? I'm looking to get a new car, and I'm concerned about how much tax I'm going to pay. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 07:01 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
The taxes are added in to the payment you make to the leasing company. It's like renting an apartment. Overheads are built into the rent.

You should read up on the pros and cons of leasing. You might be better off buying an older used car.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 38,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemorphy View Post
Does leasing a car help you avoid this tax? I'm looking to get a new car, and I'm concerned about how much tax I'm going to pay. Thanks!

So no! I found this out the hard way...You will pay a portion of the "sales tax" every month with your payments, HOWEVER you will receive a separate auto tax bill for the year. Typically this is paid quarterly and for example my 2016 leased car was $1,600 for "excise tax" for the year on top of my monthly tax I pay for the car! RI sucks this is why we are leaving, not mention auto insurance is one of the highest in the nation.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,342,162 times
I am just FLOORED at the cost of owning a car in RI. How the heck do people afford to live there? It's beautiful and we visit family there as often as we can but the cost of things like car ownership should be illegal.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:13 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
I am just FLOORED at the cost of owning a car in RI. How the heck do people afford to live there? It's beautiful and we visit family there as often as we can but the cost of things like car ownership should be illegal.
The reason this state is expensive is because the state worker unions are extremely powerful, and many state workers are married to politicians. Anytime politicians attempt to control rising costs, such as with Mayor Elorza's attempt to restructure to fire department in the hopes of saving the city tax payer millions, ends up in defeat, with the tax payers on the hook. The city and state workers always win. The irony of it all, is the majority of state worker retirees move to states like Florida, because they say Rhode Island is "too expensive". They bankrupt the state, then leave. You see a lot of Florida license plates around this state, most are from people that were originally from here. Also, Rhode Island is a sanctuary state, it has a large percentage of its people on Medicaid which the state has to chip in to pay for.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 PM

275 posts, read 469,982 times
That tax is a sin. That is not even fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island