Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 AM

296 posts, read 532,459 times

Advertisements

Saw someone posted that water temps in RI are the same as the Carolinas. Just wanted to correct the record before anyone base a visit or vacation on this, because it is a BLATANT lie

RI ocean water rarely makes it above the 60's and that's at the absolute warmest. NC waters are in the 80's most of the summer.

Intellicast - Water Temperatures in United States

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/natl.html

Maybe they meant to say that RI summer temps are like NC winter temps? SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:27 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
According to the stats you posted, right now our temps are at a refreshing 71+.

Last edited by Hollytree; 08-04-2017 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 11:20 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
Saw someone posted that water temps in RI are the same as the Carolinas. Just wanted to correct the record before anyone base a visit or vacation on this, because it is a BLATANT lie

RI ocean water rarely makes it above the 60's and that's at the absolute warmest. NC waters are in the 80's most of the summer.

Intellicast - Water Temperatures in United States

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/natl.html

Maybe they meant to say that RI summer temps are like NC winter temps? SMH
Late August & September water temperatures routinely make it into the low 70s on the south coast and shallow beach areas of Narragansett Bay.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:25 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post

You are likely referring to this post, which, by the way, is from a regular poster who is generally a Rhode Island detractor on this forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71
Water temps in RI are surprisingly similar to the Outer Banks, where you are further out into the ocean and the water is deep. If you are used to the bathtub like water elsewhere in the Carolinas, then yes it might be a shock.
Clearly all you got from this was "OMG someone is saying something good about Rhode Island, must create a new thread to bash the state immediately." If you'd actually read it, you would have seen that the post acknowledges that Rhode Island water temperatures are generally much lower than in the Carolinas, which is hardly surprising given the hundreds of miles between them.

The part that you're objecting to, "[w]ater temps in RI are surprisingly similar to the Outer Banks," is in fact true judging by the very sources you posted. The most recent water temperature in Duck, North Carolina, is 68.9 degrees; in Newport, Rhode Island (the coldest water logged in the state, by the way), it's 70.3 degrees. In fairness, the Outer Banks do maintain their temperature better than Rhody once September comes, but literally nobody is coming to Rhode Island to go to the beach past Labor Day, so that's hardly a relevant comparison, especially given your disingenuous statement that the purpose of your post is to "correct the record before anyone base [sic] a visit or vacation on this."

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-04-2017 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: name calling

Old 08-07-2017, 03:22 PM

31 posts, read 66,343 times
Speaking as the Carolinas resident who prompted the initial comparison, let me say that we just returned from our week up there, and can happily report that the water was not as cold as we feared. Everyone in the family was able to get out and swim in the ocean - Even my born and bred southern girl of a wife

Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabfivefigo View Post
Speaking as the Carolinas resident who prompted the initial comparison, let me say that we just returned from our week up there, and can happily report that the water was not as cold as we feared. Everyone in the family was able to get out and swim in the ocean - Even my born and bred southern girl of a wife
This is caused by Global Warming.....or perhaps Summer warming

Old 08-07-2017, 03:48 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
The part that you're objecting to, "[w]ater temps in RI are surprisingly similar to the Outer Banks," is in fact true judging by the very sources you posted. The most recent water temperature in Duck, North Carolina, is 68.9 degrees; in Newport, Rhode Island (the coldest water logged in the state, by the way), it's 70.3 degrees. In fairness, the Outer Banks do maintain their temperature better than Rhody once September comes, but literally nobody is coming to Rhode Island to go to the beach past Labor Day, so that's hardly a relevant comparison, especially given your disingenuous statement that the purpose of your post is to "correct the record before anyone base [sic] a visit or vacation on this."
I made note of this because one summer I actually experienced the water (incidentally right outside of Duck) a week or two after visiting 2nd Beach. I honestly felt it was colder down there; probably due to expectations after until then visiting further south in NC, but also to the stronger surf and currents (It couldn't REALLY be colder hundreds of miles south). But yeah, I guess this confirms that I wasn't crazy after all.

Last edited by massnative71; 08-07-2017 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-07-2017, 06:05 PM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times
I've spent a lot of time in Southern Shores, Outer Banks where I have cousins and the temps feel about the same as what I expect here - but the tides are WAY different. Kinda scary some days, and it's weird but the waves seem to have a different rhythm. Like, you'll jump a wave and are expecting a certain number of beats before the next wave, but instead you get walloped by a huge wave immediately behind the first one! And then the next day could be much more placid. Love the area, wish the undertow didn't make me nervous. I know I'm not the strongest swimmer. Luckily my cousins also have a pool and a hot tub.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:58 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I've spent a lot of time in Southern Shores, Outer Banks where I have cousins and the temps feel about the same as what I expect here - but the tides are WAY different. Kinda scary some days, and it's weird but the waves seem to have a different rhythm. Like, you'll jump a wave and are expecting a certain number of beats before the next wave, but instead you get walloped by a huge wave immediately behind the first one! And then the next day could be much more placid. Love the area, wish the undertow didn't make me nervous. I know I'm not the strongest swimmer. Luckily my cousins also have a pool and a hot tub.
Southern Shores is where I have stayed as well. But yep the undertow is constant, at the worst it usually just drags you along the beach though ("usually").

Old 08-09-2017, 08:10 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Southern Shores is where I have stayed as well. But yep the undertow is constant, at the worst it usually just drags you along the beach though ("usually").
Kill Devil Hills Beach

Sunset Beach

The besties if you're a water-lovin' real swimmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island