Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:31 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33
Last night there was a violent home invasion in the Valley section. This occurred off Chalkstone on Lisbon Street. A stone's throw from where Elmhurst borders Valley.

One person hurt in Providence home invasion | WJAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The home invasions are disturbing. However the police have said that they believe them to be targeted. Typically, but perhaps not in these cases, that means someone was going after drugs.
Yes, of course it is targeted (for drugs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33
While Elmwood does have some historic homes, make no mistake, it is the ghetto. It is not heading in any other direction.

The Armory District has some nice looking houses but it is also in the ghetto. Some people will claim it has become the "place to be". I would disagree.

There has been some irresponsible advice given in this thread.
Quote:
The only part of this that is correct is the comment about the presence of historic homes and nice looking houses in Elmwood and the Armory. The rest is completely out of touch. The Armory/West Side in particular are hopping. There's a thriving restaurant scene, there's strong community engagement, there are people moving in, etc. These are not characteristics of a ghetto.
Rose-colored glasses, my friend.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:35 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'm not wearing glasses of any sort. You're out of touch with what is going on in these neighborhoods. Maybe you haven't been to the neighborhoods? Have you been to the restaurants? Have you seen the renovation of houses? Have you been to the farmers market? Have you seen the Bocce courts? Have you made a conscious effort to consider things with a fresh eye? Have you even looked?

I notice another local real estate company that I shall not name--whose Providence activities have generally been East Side only--has located an office on the West Side in an effort to gain a toe-hold in the well-established West Side renaissance. They're late to the party, but their party-crashing sends a message.

People are moving in, restaurants are thriving, beautiful vintage architecture is being restored. And it is all great for Providence.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not wearing glasses of any sort. You're out of touch with what is going on in these neighborhoods. Maybe you haven't been to the neighborhoods? Have you been to the restaurants? Have you seen the renovation of houses? Have you been to the farmers market? Have you seen the Bocce courts? Have you made a conscious effort to consider things with a fresh eye? Have you even looked?

I notice another local real estate company that I shall not name--whose Providence activities have generally been East Side only--has located an office on the West Side in an effort to gain a toe-hold in the well-established West Side renaissance. They're late to the party, but their party-crashing sends a message.

People are moving in, restaurants are thriving, beautiful vintage architecture is being restored. And it is all great for Providence.
Nah, you're just looking for something new to argue about. As I've said, there are some nice looking houses/streets in the Armory District. It's a relatively small area though, and then it gets kinda ugly. It's just too close to some real ghettos.

I'd like to see continued improvements, and for it to expand, but for now I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:17 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:

Right. That Residential Properties has chosen to open a real estate sales office in the Armory is plenty evidence the neighborhood is well into a mature upswing. It's other sales offices are on the East Side, Barrington & East Greenwich. The successful company hardly chooses to locate in "ghettos". Many younger millennials and even some boomers want to live an authentic urban experience, not the suburban lifestyle of their parents.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Right. That Residential Properties has chosen to open a real estate sales office in the Armory is plenty evidence the neighborhood is well into a mature upswing. It's other sales offices are on the East Side, Barrington & East Greenwich. The successful company hardly chooses to locate in "ghettos". Many younger millennials and even some boomers want to live an authentic urban experience, not the suburban lifestyle of their parents.

Residential Properties Ltd - 376 Broadway

Interesting that you guys call that the Armory. To me, that's the Hill. And, FYI, I lived a stone's throw from 376 Broadway for well over a decade. Right near where 7 stars is.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Residential Properties Ltd - 376 Broadway

Interesting that you guys call that the Armory. To me, that's the Hill. And, FYI, I lived a stone's throw from 376 Broadway for well over a decade. Right near where 7 stars is.
The real estate company which independent man and I referenced, Residential Properties, calls their new branch their "West Side Office". And that is where I said it is located. The office is strategically placed to serve multiple neighborhoods of the West Side.

Having said that, usage of the term Armory District is common for that section of Broadway, because it is in the Broadway-Armory Historic District. "Armory District" is shorthand for the historic district name. And Armory Properties, which is another real estate firm, has their office on Broadway as well, right next to Seven Stars... Armory is right there in their name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadway-Armory_Historic_District

https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/7...1-d28b0d93a96f

Last edited by ormari; 07-21-2018 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Links...

Old 07-21-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Nah, you're just looking for something new to argue about. As I've said, there are some nice looking houses/streets in the Armory District. It's a relatively small area though, and then it gets kinda ugly. It's just too close to some real ghettos.

I'd like to see continued improvements, and for it to expand, but for now I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid.
If you think anything in Providence is a "real ghetto", then you've never been to an actual ghetto.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
The real estate company which independent man and I referenced calls their new branch their "West Side Office". And that is where I said it is located. The office is strategically placed to serve multiple neighborhoods of the West Side.

Having said that, usage of the term Armory is common for that section of Broadway, because it is in the Broadway-Armory Historic District. Armory is shorthand for the historic district name.
Again, to me, that's the Hill. And that's exactly what it is.

You're calling it the West Side. I'm not sure I've heard the term "West Side" for Providence.

independent man is calling it the Armory. I don't think the Armory is an official neighborhood in Providence, but I was under the impression that it was part of the West End between Westminster and Cranston St. The actual Armory is on Cranston St. I have seen people reference it as "The Armory / West Broadway" but I never really understood that. All of Broadway is the Hill. The streets between Broadway and Westminster are the Hill. Carpenter, Luongo Square, West Fountain...that's all the Hill. Westminster is the dividing line between Federal Hill and the West End. So, apparently some people consider the Armory District to be part of both the West End and Federal Hill? Ok, I guess I don't really understand where this unofficial neighborhood is.

When I lived in that area, if someone asked me where I lived, I would just say Broadway. It is Federal Hill, but lots of people incorrectly think that means just Atwells.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Again, to me, that's the Hill. And that's exactly what it is.

You're calling it the West Side. I'm not sure I've heard the term "West Side" for Providence.

independent man is calling it the Armory. I don't think the Armory is an official neighborhood in Providence, but I was under the impression that it was part of the West End between Westminster and Cranston St. The actual Armory is on Cranston St. I have seen people reference it as "The Armory / West Broadway" but I never really understood that. All of Broadway is the Hill. The streets between Broadway and Westminster are the Hill. Carpenter, Luongo Square, West Fountain...that's all the Hill. Westminster is the dividing line between Federal Hill and the West End. So, apparently some people consider the Armory District to be part of both the West End and Federal Hill? Ok, I guess I don't really understand where this unofficial neighborhood is.

When I lived in that area, if someone asked me where I lived, I would just say Broadway. It is Federal Hill, but lots of people incorrectly think that means just Atwells.
Yes, it is common for the term "Armory District" to include parts of the West End and Federal Hill, as shown on that map I linked. Maybe that's why you view the Armory to be smaller than others of us do--you hadn't realized the breadth of the usage.

Neighborhood names change with time. Reference what I showed earlier in the thread for how the neighborhood of Elmwood has changed over the last 130+ years.

You are correct that Broadway is Federal Hill too by official city designation and I agree that Westminster is the dividing line for the City-delineated neighborhoods. But as you said, people think Federal Hill, they think Atwells (Spirito's aside of course--but those folks are dwindling). The common perception of the people who live and work in the neighborhood has changed and continues to change.

BTW, West Side includes all of the Federal Hill neighborhood. Neighborhood level associations evolve, place names morph. And that has happened in this instance.

You've never heard the term "West Side for Providence"??? A few examples:

https://www.rimonthly.com/exploring-...ces-west-side/

https://www.goprovidence.com/things-...-walking-tour/

Tour | West Side Of Providence | Rhode Tour

From the NY times in 2005: https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/05/t...sh-appeal.html

Usage of "West Side" goes back farther than that, but I don't have time to dig further at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island