Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:29 PM

17,745 posts, read 9,202,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The area around the Providence Career and Technical School is not getting worse as time goes on. It is getting better, at least when measured in modern times.
If I'm not mistaken, you're a recent transplant. With all due respect, the others commenting (myself included) have a far better frame of reference.

Quote:
And it is certainly not a slum, unless your viewpoint is from a very, very wealthy vantage point.
Strongly disagree. One need not be wealthy to recognize it as a slum.

Last edited by redplum33; 09-06-2018 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 04:17 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
massnative's post was too oblique to make any judgment about.

The area around the Providence Career and Technical School is not getting worse as time goes on. It is getting better, at least when measured in modern times. I am sure it is worse than it was 100 years ago, but I don't think QC is referencing 100 years ago. And it is certainly not a slum, unless your viewpoint is from a very, very wealthy vantage point.
Agree. This area has improved in the last couple of decades. However, as in any city, urban problems remain. You will never convince suburban mentalities the area is anything but a "slum". Fortunately, in Providence such neighborhoods are fewer & fewer. What were challenging neighborhoods in the 70s & early 80s are now desirable places to live as evidenced by increased property values & high rates of owner occupancy.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
This area has improved in the last couple of decades.
That's pretty funny.

Quote:
You will never convince suburban mentalities the area is anything but a "slum".
"suburban mentalities"? You'll be very hard pressed to convince any Providence resident that South Providence isn't a slum.

Quote:
Fortunately, in Providence such neighborhoods are fewer & fewer.
I'm guessing you haven't been to Providence in a very long time.

Quote:
What were challenging neighborhoods in the 70s & early 80s are now desirable places to live
Really? Other than part of Fox Point, I don't believe any neighborhood in Providence fits this description.

ETA: I guess part of Smith Hill that was built up near the Mall would also fit this description.

Last edited by redplum33; 09-07-2018 at 05:08 AM..

Old 09-07-2018, 06:20 AM

9,293 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I don't understand the OP's motivation for this post. Most of the above are the OP's repeated posts.

Such occurrences are fairly rare in this area even though Central High has a poor reputation. Anyone researching schools knows that.

So, what's the point?

Old 09-07-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I don't understand the OP's motivation for this post. Most of the above are the OP's repeated posts.

Such occurrences are fairly rare in this area even though Central High has a poor reputation. Anyone researching schools knows that.

So, what's the point?
Well, it's current Rhode Island news. Or it was a couple days ago. I thought the forum members would be interested in discussing it. That's the point.

Perhaps you should motivate yourself to post more often.

And nothing was repeated. It was an ongoing situation that was being updated.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:57 AM

9,293 posts, read 14,908,083 times
There is no controversy and nothing to discuss about one student shooting another student.

Perhaps you should post much less.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:06 AM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
"Such occurrences" meaning an innocent bystander getting shot and killed??? Yes, that would be fairly rare. I would certainly hope so. If you bring that down to drug dealing, fights, threats, and gang activity; then sadly it's not rare at all and has been commonplace for decades.

My intention of saying this is NOT to downplay the tragedy and loss of an innocent life here, so PLEASE don't take this the wrong way. A student at Classical High is absolutely no more important than one at Central High. But Classical has a certain reputation to uphold which Central HS, let's say, does not. A Classical student could have just as well been caught in similar crossfire. Would the reaction have been different if that were the case? The typical Classical student might have more options than that of a typical Central HS student. Despite Classical's excellent academic reputation, the safety of its surroundings are enough of a problem that I would not recommend parents to send their kids there. It is sad and a shame, but a reality that can't be ignored. I have no doubt that many posters here who dismiss those concerns, would never actually send their own kids there. Again, thoughts and prayers with the kid's family; and I hope something good comes out of this in the end. A wake up call is needed.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:07 AM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
There is no controversy and nothing to discuss about one student shooting another student.

Perhaps you should post much less.
If there is nothing to discuss, I would suggest not posting.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:26 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Really? Other than part of Fox Point, I don't believe any neighborhood in Providence fits this description.

ETA: I guess part of Smith Hill that was built up near the Mall would also fit this description.
Summit, er, "Hope Village"

Old 09-07-2018, 08:07 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:

So, what's the point?
I had the same question. Nothing wrong with a focus on crime, I guess, but I miss the point here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island