Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:39 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
In the end of a day, to a parent, it probably doesn't matter to most if their kid was killed by an accidental drunk driver or a wayward bullet. Their kid is still dead.
Good parenting can have some influence over who they get in a vehicle with after a party, etc. Getting hit by a stray bullet outside school, not so much. I don't this incident should be used as means to tarnish the neighborhood, but let's be realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 11:42 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Quote:
Yes, it is, as is supported by your link. It is on the West Side of Fricker.

Which, according to the official map: ftp://ftp.providenceplanning.org/Pro...esPortrait.pdf

Is West End.

It's ok to admit you are wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Look at the map; the signs are wrong.

There are other examples where DPW got the signs wrong elsewhere in the city.
I think you guys need new glasses and/or a better sense of direction. The street signs at Citizens Bank -- which are not wrong -- are clearly lined up with the crosswalk. The crosswalk goes to the west side of Fricker, and that is exactly where the shooting took place.

As I've said previously, part of the school is in the West End. Fricker is not the dividing line. All of Fricker is South Providence. The dividing line goes through the school.

The "official map" even shows this. Again, check those eyes. Zoomed in image clearly shows two separate lines.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
As I've said previously, part of the school is in the West End. Fricker is not the dividing line. All of Fricker is South Providence. The dividing line goes through the school.

Once again, zoom in.

ftp://ftp.providenceplanning.org/Pro...esPortrait.pdf

W (SW really) of ALL of Fricker is West End. E (NE really is not).

This is very simple. The map is right there. Maybe you are color blind? They are two different shades of yellow. I tried to blow it up for you to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Student fatally shot outside Providence Career and Technical Academy-fricker.jpg  

Old 09-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I think you guys need new glasses and/or a better sense of direction. The street signs at Citizens Bank -- which are not wrong -- are clearly lined up with the crosswalk. The crosswalk goes to the west side of Fricker, and that is exactly where the shooting took place.

The "official map" even shows this. Again, check those eyes. Zoomed in image clearly shows two separate lines.

Your picture shows the W side of Fricker being the West End. Look at your own post.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
But, if this person is honest, they will tell you how much improved this area is.
Belmont742, if you were honest, you'd admit that you don't have a clue what this area was like in years past.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Your picture shows the W side of Fricker being the West End. Look at your own post.
Uhhh...no, it doesn't. I don't know what you think you see, but the zoomed in image I posted clearly shows 2 separate lines.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Belmont742, if you were honest, you'd admit that you don't have a clue what this area was like in years past.
If you could read, you would know how I do know.

If you could read a map, you would also admit you're wrong again. That line is right along the street.

But you don't live here, and you're a little kid, so you have no idea how it was in the past either. Nor do you know people like I do that live and own businesses there, here and now.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:01 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Since you can't be bothered to read, here's a picture for you:

ftp://ftp.providenceplanning.org/Pro...esPortrait.pdf

That map shows that Fricker street itself is the dividing line between neighborhoods, with the western side being in the West End and the eastern side being in Upper South Providence

The side of Fricker Street where PCTA is located is in the West End.
What you have there is a political map, usually not very reliable in determining "commonly accepted" neighborhood boundaries.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What you have there is a political map, usually not very reliable in determining "commonly accepted" neighborhood boundaries.

Commonly accepted neighborhoods morph. Look at the South End of Boston moving over time, thanks to gentrification and realtors.

But who cares, by all accounts by people that live and work here (and have the viewpoints of non children) this area is far better than it was 10-20-30 years ago. That's what matters.

In addition to a tragic loss of life due to way too many guns in society.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
You are talking in circles. First you say too many guns in RI, then when it's pointed out that Maine has more you say that nobody lives in Maine, then you're told that more people live in Maine than RI so now RI doesn't count...WHAT??? You are seriously making my head hurt. .

It is REALLY easy to make your head hurt it seems.
Sigh. Let me try to help you. Yet again. I will try to break it down to easier bites.

I never said there are too many guns in RI. I said there are too many guns, period. That is across the entire country.

Oh boy, I really have to spell everything out for you. Maine is 35 thousand square miles. RI is 1200 square miles. Maine's density is 40 people per mile. Rhode's Island's density is 1000 people per mile. Maine is RURAL (38th density). No one lives there. RI is fairly dense (2nd most dense), people DO live there.

Quote:
RI has only one place, Providence??? Providence is a city of 170k, 1.2 million people live in the state of RI. Are you really that full of yourself? .

Sigh. Once again. When speaking of a city, people are generally speaking of the metro area (when people speak of "Boston", Cambridge, Somerville, etc are included). Providence's metro area is over 1 million. It's pretty much the same, by some measures larger, than the population of the entire state of RI. Providence IS Rhode Island for all real purposes.

Sheesh. It is really impossible to have conversations with people that purposefully and willfully reject commonly accepted definitions that are used when people have discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island