Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 4,062 times

Advertisements

Happy New year to everyone. I am considering a job offer and a move to RI. I know it is sometimes annoying for the great local people to answer the same type of questions in online forums like this. Some the discussions become endless and feel like a road to no where. To minimize such possibilities, I have read several relevant posts in this forum, did online search and got input from from friends from neighboring states. After all of these, I feel like I need to hear form local people on several items and it is always the people who live the experience, knows more than what is available via google search. Still some of my queries might be repetitive and hope you generously forgive.

1) From online studies, it is granted that the living expenses are higher in RI compared to south where I lived before (georgia, carolinas, AL, even southern part of VA). For example, a new 2000-2500 sq ft home in the south can be around 180-250k, but that is probably out of reality here (I can see that in zillow and understood). I think the taxes (State income taxes and property taxes) are also significantly higher. The vehicle insurance costs will be higher too. I dont expect basic needs (food/groceries/supplies) to be much different. Considering those cost factors, how much more (%) earning someone will need to live a life comparable to the south ? I am considering a job offer and would like decide based on cost of living. Some online resources indicate that about 40% more income would be needed. Any input on this would be helpful. The answer may not be easy. However, if you have any numbers on different taxes/insurance etc, that would help get an idea. Of course, where we live will matter and thats my next point.

2) For my living, I have three criteria: I need good public schools for kids(elementary and middle school age). Secondly, the neighborhood must be safe (related to good school too). Finally, since we are asian immigrant family, is there any difference in acceptance of different race? Generally, I have not seen any negative vibe anywhere I lived before but dont want to be in the wrong place. Just to clarify : I dont need to live in place with a lot of asians. I just dont want to live ina place where people may not be friendly to people who does not look like them. From discussions in this forum and from my friends, I got few recommendations: East greenwich, cumberland/Lincoln(north of 295) and Barrington. By the way, my work will be in west warwick. I know east greenwich is closest. I dont mind commuting 30 mins or so.

I often fear posting in online threads because sometimes things go south with people getting annoyed or taking it off-topic. Please pardon, if i lacked clarity on any of my questions (I understand living cost could a tricky question).
Again, best wishes. i will quietly read your valuable input and respond as needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 04:49 PM

164 posts, read 125,418 times
Where is your job? Kind of important....

Old 01-02-2020, 05:35 PM

10,035 posts, read 15,690,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Where is your job? Kind of important....
OP said West Warwick.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 PM

164 posts, read 125,418 times
Wish I could remove my error sorry. Certainly E. Greenwich is the default choice if you can afford or perhaps get a fixer upper.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:45 PM

8,030 posts, read 4,711,078 times
Rhode Islanders basically treat others the way they are treated - regardless of ethnic origin or differences. It is a state largely of immigrants & descendants of immigrants. Like most everywhere the more educated the local population, the more accepting of differences - as long as you are equally accepting. Both East Greenwich & Barrington are mostly populated by sophisticated, educated residents. Probably no reason to commute to Barrington from West Warwick when East Greenwich is so close. Both towns have top rated public schools, by Rhode Island standards.

Rhode Island can be different from much of the congenial south. People tend to directness here, which can be considered severe & off putting to those not accustomed to it. But, in my experience, as an outsider 30+- years ago, friendships & relationships made here are worth the effort & can last forever. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Rhode Islanders basically treat others the way they are treated - regardless of ethnic origin or differences. It is a state largely of immigrants & descendants of immigrants. Like most everywhere the more educated the local population, the more accepting of differences - as long as you are equally accepting. Both East Greenwich & Barrington are mostly populated by sophisticated, educated residents. Probably no reason to commute to Barrington from West Warwick when East Greenwich is so close. Both towns have top rated public schools, by Rhode Island standards.

Rhode Island can be different from much of the congenial south. People tend to directness here, which can be considered severe & off putting to those not accustomed to it. But, in my experience, as an outsider 30+- years ago, friendships & relationships made here are worth the effort & can last forever. Good luck!
Thank you for your informative response on the social/cultural front. I greatly appreciate your input.
Is East Greenwich more expensive (and older housing) than Cumberland area? My online search showed that kind of trend but wanted to hear from locals.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:14 AM

8,030 posts, read 4,711,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South2RI View Post
Thank you for your informative response on the social/cultural front. I greatly appreciate your input.
Is East Greenwich more expensive (and older housing) than Cumberland area? My online search showed that kind of trend but wanted to hear from locals.
East Greenwich is one of the most highly regarded communities in Rhode Island (which just happens to be near your job locale) and, as such, a more expensive real estate market than Cumberland. It's reputation, proximity to the water and highly regarded school system account for much of this value. The historic Hill & Harbor neighborhood of EG makes the town exceptionally charming. Less expensive Cumberland is a pleasant RI town. I would analyze whether or not the commute would be worth the somewhat lower housing costs.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:34 AM

9,313 posts, read 14,922,125 times
EG or in the vicinity does make the most sense. The southern part of the state can have a somewhat rural quality to it and the schools are generally acceptable. Safety is not an issue.

Your house price will be. You're going to have to start by doubling your housing budget and don't expect to get a new house here. Having said that, that part of the state is nice and has proximity to beaches.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:12 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Like most everywhere the more educated the local population, the more accepting of differences - as long as you are equally accepting.

I'd qualify that some. Towns stuffed full of white collar professionals are accepting of race/color/creed/etc of other white collar professionals moving in. You're going to get a very different response to things like low income housing where it's not white collar professionals.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
East Greenwich is one of the most highly regarded communities in Rhode Island (which just happens to be near your job locale) and, as such, a more expensive real estate market than Cumberland. It's reputation, proximity to the water and highly regarded school system account for much of this value. The historic Hill & Harbor neighborhood of EG makes the town exceptionally charming. Less expensive Cumberland is a pleasant RI town. I would analyze whether or not the commute would be worth the somewhat lower housing costs.
What should I expect as commute time from Cumberland to West warwick area? I see the interstate 95 loop and I guess that gets heavy traffic. Since RI is a small state, the over all drive time should not be that bad. I could be wrong. Also, how is demographically or culturally or educationally Cumberland different from EG? Could you please provide a bit more insight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island