Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:14 AM

11 posts, read 4,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'd qualify that some. Towns stuffed full of white collar professionals are accepting of race/color/creed/etc of other white collar professionals moving in. You're going to get a very different response to things like low income housing where it's not white collar professionals.
From the response, it seems like EG and Barrington fits your description. Does Cumberland also fit this criteria of acceptance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 09:47 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,726,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South2RI View Post
What should I expect as commute time from Cumberland to West warwick area? I see the interstate 95 loop and I guess that gets heavy traffic. Since RI is a small state, the over all drive time should not be that bad. I could be wrong. Also, how is demographically or culturally or educationally Cumberland different from EG? Could you please provide a bit more insight?
While the Cumberland school system is considered ok, it’s not held in as high regard as EG. Cumberland’s population is not as highly educated as EG’s, or as affluent. A different level of sophistication. It would not be a killer commute. Perhaps, 25-35 minutes to Cumberland depending on where & where.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:05 AM

17,870 posts, read 9,304,638 times
It sounds like Barrington and East Greenwich are out of your price range, and you're looking for the next best school district. If that's the case, you need to understand that there's a huge drop-off. There isn't an "almost as good" alternative. Everything else is generally considered average or below average.

But don't get me wrong. Most of the average school districts are perfectly fine.

Cumberland is not a town "stuffed full of white collar professionals", and I don't know why you'd want to deal with the unnecessary traffic hassles going through Providence. Maybe look at North Kingstown?

Old 01-03-2020, 10:28 AM

11 posts, read 4,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It sounds like Barrington and East Greenwich are out of your price range, and you're looking for the next best school district. If that's the case, you need to understand that there's a huge drop-off. There isn't an "almost as good" alternative. Everything else is generally considered average or below average.

But don't get me wrong. Most of the average school districts are perfectly fine.

Cumberland is not a town "stuffed full of white collar professionals", and I don't know why you'd want to deal with the unnecessary traffic hassles going through Providence. Maybe look at North Kingstown?
Barrington and East Greenwich are not totally out of my affordability (although stretching it considering that i lived mostly in cheaper places). Barrington is certainly a little far and longer commute. EG and Cumberland has a more direct path. The only reason i was exploring and wanting to know more about Cumberland because it looks like there are more newer/spacious housing there. If there is a major difference is school quality, then i would not look into. However, from greatschool website, it seems like both have at least one school with higher test score data. So i was not afraid to look into both options.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:52 AM

As far as I know, there isn't anything extraordinary about the Cumberland school district. I'm sure it's fine, but it's not going to be in the same league as Barrington or East Greenwich.

What's more important: house or school district? Whichever you choose, you'll probably be making sacrifices with the other.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:04 AM

23,744 posts, read 18,855,643 times
North Kingstown schools are considered more than OK, take a look there.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:38 AM

3 bed, 2.5 baths, 1959 sq ft, new construction in NK for 405k.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-10624?view=qv

Old 01-03-2020, 12:17 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,584,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Your detachment from RI is showing. No one living in Cumberland (especially in the north of the town) would ever choose to go through Providence to get to West Warwick. As any true Rhode Islander would know, the preferred route would be via Route 295 which completely avoids the city of Providence.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:25 PM

23,744 posts, read 18,855,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Your detachment from RI is showing. No one living in Cumberland (especially in the north of the town) would ever choose to go through Providence to get to West Warwick. As any true Rhode Islander would know, the preferred route would be via Route 295 which completely avoids the city of Providence.
That is entirely dependent on where in Cumberland you are coming from. I cannot imagine from Valley Falls backtracking all the way up to 295, not that I would recommend OP or anybody live in Valley Falls. Either way, it's considerably further than somewhere like North Kingstown that has comparable (or better) schools.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:29 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,584,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That is entirely dependent on where in Cumberland you are coming from. I cannot imagine from Valley Falls backtracking all the way up to 295, not that I would recommend OP or anybody live in Valley Falls. Either way, it's considerably further than somewhere like North Kingstown that has comparable (or better) schools.

Even the people in Valley Falls would likely use Route 295 via Diamond Hill (114) or Mendon (122) Road. That however isn't even relevant as the poster indicated they were looking at Lincoln or Cumberland north of route 295.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island