Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 01:25 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,901,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Freedom of Religion and separation of church and state are cool things from Rhody.

Yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 02:33 PM

32 posts, read 45,872 times
I love Rhode Island. I grew up in North Kingstown and then Coventry, and while I'm in Florida right now because my parents retired here and are having health issues, I intend to go home as soon as I'm able. I just block the really negative regular posters so I don't have to hear them complain. Every state has its issues (and I've lived in a lot of them so I have first-hand experience) but Rhode Island has a unique charm that you just can't find anywhere else.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:40 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Nice little list of Rhode Island Firsts:

https://12metercharters.com/blog/lit...e-island-facts

Old 06-05-2020, 04:42 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
From a Mark Patinkin column many years ago about things to love about Providence: "The First Baptist Church really is the first Baptist Church."

Old 06-06-2020, 04:51 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
The Coast. The beautiful Rhode Island Coast. Narragansett Bay. The Providence River. Green Hill Beach. Watch Hill. Salt Water Everywhere.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:10 AM

120 posts, read 235,373 times
A little background: grew up in Warwick, went to URI, moved to Boston after graduating as that's where my industry (biomedical research) is centered in. Eventually, I switched career paths and I'm moving to Philly to further my education this summer.

1. The cultural scene. It's hard to describe, but while RI may not have the economic might of Boston, there is a heavy emphasis on the arts/culture - RISD, performing arts, artists, WaterFire, quirky small business, fashion, and of course the restaurant scene. Just look at all the cool festivals Newport throws.

A thought I've had recently: who has the better life, the overworked wealthy businessmen in Boston who commutes in terrible traffic at least 45 min every morning and 45 min in the afternoon and works a dull office job, or say the surf shop owner in Narragansett or firefighter/paramedic in Warwick who has essentially no commute and still earns a liveable wage?

Several years ago I would have said the Boston businessman, but now meh it's a harder comparison.

2.As mentioned above, the coast. I love the ocean. Summertime in Rhode Island (great song) is magical. Especially as I have lots of family in South County. I love waking up on a Sunday morning in RI, grabbing coffee from a hip local resturant, hanging at someone's beach home for the day or hanging outside (biking, kayaking for example), and finishing the day by grabbing the surfboard after the crowds disappear.

3. The location. RI is really special. We have the oceans. Want to go skiiing, sure thing: NH is a day trip away (granted a long day trip - Waterville Valley and Loon are about 3h from Southern RI). Find a great job in Boston - just a commuter rail train ride away, easily doable if you can have flexible hours/WFH somedays. I-95 in southern Massachusetts is heavily populated with RI'ers getting to jobs in the southern and western suburbs of Boston. The largest city in America is only 3 or 4h away.

4. The food. I love RI seafood. I have yet to find fish and chips that are RI's type. My theory is the fish batter (Fish Chic from Drum Rock) that makes the seafood soooo good.

5. Traffic - a complete joke compared to Boston

6. The surf scene

7. Family - This is personal for me, but my family has been living in RI for quite some time.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:51 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Oops, how could I forget! One of the things (or people) to love about Rhode Island is John Cafferty!

Old 06-07-2020, 07:43 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
And Steve Smith!

Old 06-07-2020, 08:12 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Who remembers The Agents?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzz...rt_radio=1&t=7

Old 06-07-2020, 08:16 PM

17,747 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Roomful of Blues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island