Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 11:24 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Besides the confusion, it's true, I would be curious why some are "tons" and others are "towns", especially since they are all located in the same general area. The good thing is that it seems like even though a person were to label a letter or package wrong, it would still get delivered with no problem.

But the curiosity did get my attention, lol.
Both North and South Kingstown do not have town centers named for the towns. Like other Rhode Island towns and cities, they are made up of many individual villages. Both West Kingston and Kingston are part of the larger town, and I am sure they are named that way to not confuse people into thinking they were the town centers. Especially when larger villages were in place such as Wakefield and Peacedale. I am sure using a correct zip code is an important facet to make the correct delivery. In Burrilville there are 3 different Whipple Roads with 3 different village and zip code designations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 11:46 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
In Burrilville there are 3 different Whipple Roads with 3 different village and zip code designations.
There is Whipple Road in Pascoag and Whipple Avenue in Oakland. Am I missing something?

Mapleville, Harrisville, and Pascoag all have their own Main Streets, but they are "Mapleville Main Street," "Harrisville Main Street," and "Pascoag Main Street" to differentiate.

Last edited by mp775; 01-17-2022 at 11:55 AM..

Old 01-17-2022, 12:23 PM

9,289 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Rhode Island is very quirky that way. I remember that it wasn't that long ago that the East Side of Providence actually got good street signs. Prior to that there was a dearth of street signs (every thing was named of course but unless you were local you might not know what the name was!) and I think that's why people used to navigate so much by landmark.

Probably also true for some of the smaller towns.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
There is Whipple Road in Pascoag and Whipple Avenue in Oakland. Am I missing something?

Mapleville, Harrisville, and Pascoag all have their own Main Streets, but they are "Mapleville Main Street," "Harrisville Main Street," and "Pascoag Main Street" to differentiate.
I know Mapleville has a 50-yard roadway called Mapleville Main Street and the same with Harrisville with their Harrisville Main Street. Pascoag's Main Street is South Main toward Chepachet and North Main toward Harrisville, but you still need to use a zip code on any delivery to get correct delivery. There is a Whipple Road from North Smithfield that reaches into Burrilville, but is delivered by North Smithfield. Pascoag Whipple is delivered from Pascoag and Oakland's Whipple is delivered from Harrisville. Pascoag, Harrisville and Oakland are all villages of the Town of Burrilville.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:22 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
I know Mapleville has a 50-yard roadway called Mapleville Main Street and the same with Harrisville with their Harrisville Main Street. Pascoag's Main Street is South Main toward Chepachet and North Main toward Harrisville, but you still need to use a zip code on any delivery to get correct delivery. There is a Whipple Road from North Smithfield that reaches into Burrilville, but is delivered by North Smithfield. Pascoag Whipple is delivered from Pascoag and Oakland's Whipple is delivered from Harrisville. Pascoag, Harrisville and Oakland are all villages of the Town of Burrilville.
This somehow reminds me of a friend I had that lived in Chepachet.

He used to say that he lived in Chepachet, had a Centerdale phone number and was in the Harmony fire district.

Appreciate all the replies by the way.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:

He used to say that he lived in Chepachet, had a Centerdale phone number and was in the Harmony fire district.

and lived in the Town of Glocester

Old 01-17-2022, 03:27 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Funny how different RI and MA are in that regard. In MA it's usually pretty straightforward where you typically have a "town" with a single downtown bearing the same name, whereas RI towns will contain multiple villages within a town with none bearing the name of the "town". The exceptions would be the East Bay towns, but of course Bristol County, RI was once part of Bristol County, MA so that totally explains it! I guess East Greenwich would be the one West Bay exception. And I guess the "cities" of Providence, Pawtucket, Woonsocket and Newport.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:57 PM

4,385 posts, read 3,188,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Funny how different RI and MA are in that regard. In MA it's usually pretty straightforward where you typically have a "town" with a single downtown bearing the same name, whereas RI towns will contain multiple villages within a town with none bearing the name of the "town".
East Greenwich was never a mill town though. It started near the bay and grew out from there. It wasn't very developed for a long time other than that hill and harbor area.

Think of West Warwick with Harris, Natick, Lippitt, Riverpoint, Arctic, Phenix, Crompton. Arctic was the commercial main street/ town hall center linking them. All the rest are villages formed around mills along the river.

Same with Coventry and Quidnick/Anthony/Washington or Cumberland with Lonsdale/Ashton/Berkeley/Valley Falls. Western Coventry being more rural and spread out, they had their own closer trading spots like Summit or Rice City or Coventry center. I imagine Northern Cumberland might be the same - Cumberland Hill or Manville being less of a hike than going to Valley Falls.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:14 PM

4,385 posts, read 3,188,372 times
Quote:

Fiskeville is pretty unique that way, being where four towns meet, way outside the center of any of them,, and having its own post office. Your neighborhood gang of friends could all end up in different schools.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:52 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Funny how different RI and MA are in that regard. In MA it's usually pretty straightforward where you typically have a "town" with a single downtown bearing the same name, whereas RI towns will contain multiple villages within a town with none bearing the name of the "town". The exceptions would be the East Bay towns, but of course Bristol County, RI was once part of Bristol County, MA so that totally explains it! I guess East Greenwich would be the one West Bay exception. And I guess the "cities" of Providence, Pawtucket, Woonsocket and Newport.
Dunno. Woods Hole. Pocasett. Sagamore. Osterville. I live in Padanaram. Assonet. Massachusetts has plenty.

My town has a half dozen distinct villages that date back to more rural times. In much of the 20th century, they all had a general store, gas station, church, and school. Many of them vanished as working villages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island