Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,617 times

Advertisements

I live in Rhode Island all my life and I don't think that we have a accent but my family in California says we do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 07:52 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
This is the thread that doesn't end
Yes, it goes on and on my friend
Some people started posting not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue posting forever just because
This is the thread that doesn't end
Yes, it goes on and on my friend.

Can we all just agree that everyone has an accent, even those that think they don't? If you think you don't have an accent because you don't drop your r's or speak newscaster English - well, that's an accent too. I guarantee a good linquist can tell you where you lived within a few minutes of speaking with you!

Old 08-07-2014, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,981 times
I was born in Providence - youngest by 6 years of 4 kids. Lived by North Main Street near the Pawtucket line. My dad was born in Pawtucket to Boston parents - my mom was from Springfield MA (Connecticut River Valley). All our accents were different - kid's more R.I. than parents - mom with only a hint of R.I. that she acquired moving there at age 17. We all moved to California in late 50's. I lost most of my R.I. accent because I entered 7th grade in CA - siblings were all post-High School. We all speak a little different - even I have a bit of the non-rhotic (excuse spelling), but my siblings are much more so - except for sister who married a French-Canadian from Woonsocket and has a mixed-up sort of accent nowadays. But I just have to say that I have relatives (had more than 70 cousins - yeh, we're Irish) all over R.I., MA, and CT and I could tell that when I lived there I could tell you within just a few blocks of where people were from in Providence and then tell you if people were from Cranston or Warwick or West Warwick (big difference), Johnston, South County, etc. Believe it or not - big differences in accents and speech patterns. Loved it - now I live in a newscaster's newsspeak world and everybody puts down regional accents. Bummer.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,981 times
Yeah, I know you.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:05 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post

I guarantee a good linquist can tell you where you lived within a few minutes of speaking with you!
It would require real training. Have we enough cunning linguists in Rhode Island to sort this all out?

Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
It was explained to me that something called Brooklyn-ese is often spoken by descendants of certain European immigrants who settled in the US from Boston to Philly. Within this general accent are many variations depending on the country of origin and even within those countries. Most are descendants of immigrants who came from Ireland, Italy and Portugal. My experience is younger people with Catholic school educations often have thicker accents than their parents. Teachers may have more linguistic influence than parents. Who knows?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
I always told my college roommate, who was from Nebraska and liked to mock my accent, that I was pretty sure people in America were talking the way I talk long before they were talking the way she talked, so I wasn't too worried about it.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:37 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I always told my college roommate, who was from Nebraska and liked to mock my accent, that I was pretty sure people in America were talking the way I talk long before they were talking the way she talked, so I wasn't too worried about it.
Interestingly descendants of German and northern European countries who tended to fan out in the mid-west (Nebraska) are characterized by that broad no accent - accent. Likely because they were farmers and "mixed it up" more with the locals they encountered. And never clustered in cities like the immigrants to the urban northeast. Although, there is a pronounced Upper Mid-Western accent heard in Minnesota and North Dakota.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:22 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
yes those of us in RI with strong accents like me
know we have this accent cuz ya can't tawk ta
anyone else from anywhaih without bein told so.

rest a-shawd, we ah closah to the Queen's English
than they ah.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:27 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
rest a-shawd, we ah closah to the Queen's English
than they ah.
Nawt if yah tahlkin ta one of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island