Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 AM

21 posts, read 25,871 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if the people in RI actually know they have different accents? I ask this because of tv and movies where people talk with normal US accents. I mean you don't hear most celebrities say things like "get in the caaa, go to the storWAA, and buy a QwatA milk." I visited RI from CA and people knew I was not from there. Even this cop on the beach heard my voice and then commented to the other cop about all the out of towners. You guys have to know you have these accents, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,792,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telephony View Post
I was just wondering if the people in RI actually know they have different accents? I ask this because of tv and movies where people talk with normal US accents. I mean you don't hear most celebrities say things like "get in the caaa, go to the storWAA, and buy a QwatA milk." I visited RI from CA and people knew I was not from there. Even this cop on the beach heard my voice and then commented to the other cop about all the out of towners. You guys have to know you have these accents, right?
Some probably don't!
I have talked to so many people with southern accents, however slight yet still noticeable to a Noo Yawka, & they're like, "what accent?"
I love those RI accents! I think they're cute as hell!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:04 AM

6 posts, read 38,256 times
The accent makes it easier for us to find each other down here in FL! LOL
(transplanted New Englanda)

Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 AM

447 posts, read 1,851,155 times
Not all native Rhode Islanders have the accent. My huband was born and raised in RI, all of his family has the accent, but my husband doesn't have a trace of it. He likes to say they knew he was destined to leave RI when he was just a child since he "never sounded like them". I moved RI from MA when I was in 7th grade and lived there (with the exception of college) until 2 years ago, and I don't have the RI accent or the MA accent.

Now that we're in TX, people can tell we're not from TX, but can never place it. I don't know what our accent is, lol!

I don't know if anyone watches Big Brother, but last night they had a blip about the RI accent - one of the girls is from RI and another person was trying to get her to say water correctly. It was pretty funny.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:53 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,476,129 times
Having summered in Newport, RI since I was born and lived there year round after graduating from college ----(notice I did not say "graduating college" like most Rhode Islanders say-- which is INCORRECT ENGLISH. Think about it, the college did not graduate YOU did.)-----I also think the Rhode Island accent is unfortunate. It makes them sound dumb. Also it is challenging if you have kids that don't have an accent and they try to take a spelling test given by a teacher with a Rhode Island accent who slaughters the phonetics of each word she is testing the kids on. As a parent, you almost have to learn the accent yourself so you can prepare your child for how the teacher will most likely INCORRECTLY pronounce it.

My father had a Boston accent (which is similar to a Rhode Island accent) when he entered college and his fraternity brothers at MIT made him stand up every night and recite something until he got rid of his accent. He was happy to have done that.

I think at least half upper middle class Rhode Islanders, unless they are Neuveaux Riche don't have Rhode Island accents. many more of the middle and lower classes will.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:49 PM

688 posts, read 2,136,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I think at least half upper middle class Rhode Islanders, unless they are Neuveaux Riche don't have Rhode Island accents. many more of the middle and lower classes will.
If you want to go on about people sounding dumb because of how they pronounce words I'd suggest the next time you use foreign terms to sound sophisticated at least try to spell them right instead of butchering them.

It would be the nouveaux riches you're talking about.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:28 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,001,405 times
Zing!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,435,826 times
I definitely have a RI accent - not quite as thick as my husband but it is still prominent. I am neither dumb nor unsophisticated. Despite a graduate degree and having lived in several states over the years, I still pahk my cah and drink cawfee. Oh, and BTW - I can spell and I've NEVER said "graduating college".

Old 08-04-2008, 07:51 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,828,716 times
Oh snap!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:38 PM

179 posts, read 1,209,839 times
Yes, there is a RI accent. Different from the New England accent. More whiny, less rough. LOL

Waduhhh....yeah I've been watching BB 10 also. Go Michelle! Did you hear Dan's pep speech? Put RI on the map!

I honestly don't really have too much of an accent but it's there. I never really knew I did all these RI-specific things. I'm kind of oblivious and never thought I followed any sort of common behaviors. Then I looked up this 100 ways you know you are from RI list and I did like half of those listed items regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island