Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place that less expensive than East Side. Any thoughts on Barrington?

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:15 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Barrington is a very clean, beautiful town that runs along the Ten Mile River- (I believe it is called). It has mostly single family homes and a few multi family dwellings. It has its own beach- Barrington beach. There are a couple of apt complexes- one on Wampanoag Trail. I doubt it would be much less expensive than the East Side- property taxes are very high so rents would have to be high as well. However, if you like a nice quiet & green (in the sense of lawns and trees) suburban town, about 15 min from the East Side, it would be very attractive. It is a dry town- kind of rare for RI.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Barrington is great - but more so for families. Not the best place for singles. If you're finding the East Side pricey, I'd recommend you check out Edgewood (in Cranston) as well as Pawtuxet Village (Warwick) - not to be confused with Pawtucket. They both have funky charm like the East Side. Edgewood is very close to Providence. Pawtuxet Village has a small town atmosphere, walkable and is a great place to live. If you drive north through Pawtuxet, you'll end up in Edgewood!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:10 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
I did look at Pawtucket but I did not think it had the same charm as the East Side. If it was cheaper and I could find a good place for much less, then I would consider it, but it seemed equally as expensive.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:28 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,947 times
Pawtuxet is a village that exists south of Providence in the cities of Cranston and Warwick.

Pawtucket is completely different, a city northeast of Providence.

Two totally different things, just so ya know.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:11 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
If you're finding the East Side pricey, I'd recommend you check out Edgewood (in Cranston) as well as Pawtuxet Village (Warwick) - not to be confused with Pawtucket.
I tried to make the distinction.....

Old 09-25-2008, 05:09 PM

308 posts, read 517,711 times
Pawtuxet Village is a nice place. I would recommend it. Up or down Warwick Ave you can be near great places both Providence and nice spots in Warwick.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:51 AM

32 posts, read 121,401 times
Have you checked out Warren? It's close to Fall River,Somerset,Swansea,and Tiverton. I know someone who owned a boat there.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 15,754 times
My wife and I were born and raised in Southern California. We have two kids (ages 7 & 9). We (mainly me) have had it with crime, traffic, smog, gangs, and a societal melting pot that refuses to adapt to American culture. We are willing to make a move to the east coast for a better living environment. We are looking for a safe community to raise our kids and live the remainder of our lives. I have researched many cities in Mass. and Rhode Isalnd and am drawn to Barrington. We have a home based business that would require us to drive maybe once a week (perhaps Boston area). Any suggestions if Barrington would be a wise choice to live would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Judging from what you just wrote, I think Barrington would be perfect for you. It has 15,000 people making it a small town complete with a main street shopping district. It's quiet, safe, & has a nice library and town hall.
Lots of beautiful homes. Surrounded by water, has a yacht club. If you're looking for a non diverse, suburban, peaceful community- this is it. Here's a few neighborhood photos...
OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF BARRINGTON, RI - Neighborhoods (http://www.ci.barrington.ri.us/town/neighborhoods/neighborhood.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island