Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 11,756 times

Advertisements

Husband is a Marine pilot and we have three children (8, 6, 2)...moving there in July for him to attend Command and Staff at the Naval War College. We will live there a year and want to find a good rental in a safe neighborhood.

We have heard contradicting things about the elementary schools. Does anyone have any expertise in this subject. We want the best possible school for our kids...even if that means having to drive 30 minutes to the Naval College. Can't really afford private and really want a safe place. They will be in 3rd grade and 1st.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 AM

564 posts, read 1,880,665 times
Barrington is on the east side of the bay, not too far from Newport, and has excellent schools. My cousin is an educator and moved there specifically for her childrens benefit. It's a bit pricey, though, and I don't know about rentals.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 AM

158 posts, read 610,608 times
Portsmouth also has very good schools and is even closer than Barrington (especially since part of the way from Barrington you are stuck on small roads that easily clog up). It is on the same island so you don't even have to cross a bridge. The schools are very safe in Portsmouth and I am fairly certain that the cost of living is a bit less than in Barrington.

I grew up in Portsmouth and attended the schools there and still know a lot of people who send their kids there. They are all happy with the education their kids are getting as well as with the safe surroundings. I think you can still find some areas of Portsmouth which are not too outrageously expensive.

We had to live in East Providence for a couple of years and my daughter attended one year of elementary there. I wish we could have had her in Portsmouth!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM

5 posts, read 36,374 times
I would strongly recommend staying 'on island'. It would be a major pain to take the kids to school off island. Both Middletown and Portsmouth have good schools, with Portsmouth being slightly better.

Also, if you are Christian (your username looks like a Bible verse), you may want to check out Aquidneck Island Christian Academy or St. Philomena's. Both are very good and I at least know Aquidneck Island Christian Academy is very affordable.

Newport Public schools are the pits. Staty away if you can.

Good Luck!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:41 PM

67 posts, read 266,879 times
I'll chime in with another Portsmouth vote. It's a good family town and a short drive into Newport. I've heard good things about the schools without actually knowing firsthand, if i were moving anywhere in RI, Portsmouth would be one of my 1st picks.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,756 times
Thanks so much for the the advice. That is very helpful. Now, I am narrowing it down to staying on the island b/c I also heard the toll was 2.00/each way or 1.00/with new EZpass. I have looked at the greatschools.net website and found that Hathaway and Elmhurst are good...then also Aquidneck. I will look at the prices of the Christian school, too. My oldest two go to a Christian School now and we love it! However, we are selling our house here in AZ and losing quite a bit, so we may need to save some money and let them attend public for one year. I so appreciate the time you put in to giving advice. So selfless!!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 AM

41 posts, read 111,091 times
Hi! My daughter went to both Forest Avenue (smaller in size..which could be a good thing :P ) and Aquidneck School and we are very pleased with both experiences...good teachers, safe environment, but have to give thousands and thousands of *kudos* to the Forest Ave principal, Mr. Stephen Ponte who was very helpful when we first moved here (my daughter had to start school late) Hope you enjoy Aquidneck Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island