Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM

9,293 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

Edgewood is variable depending on the section. There are many nice streets and beautiful large historic homes, many near the water. It is an area, however, close to and surrounded by some not so good areas. Also, the drive from Edgewood into downtown is pretty ugly & industrial. There are also a lot of Johnson & Wales students renting in the nearly area.
It's a good area in many respects- Just be sure that whatever house you buy is on a good street surrounded by a buffer of good streets and not too many multi-units . Make sure you drive at least a one to two mile radius around the house before buying.
Rhode Island housing is funny compared to other areas- because of the size of neighborhoods (many may be only a square mile or two), things can change from good to bad in a two or three minute drive or even a walk. Think in terms of microcosms. We do not have the vast cookie cutter suburbs and distances of larger states. House values can vary by a hundred thousand in the space of a street or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,502 times
Default Edgewood

My wife and I are veteran urbanites from Brooklyn. Before our eighteen year sojourn in rural suburbia we restored an 1883 brownstone and lived there for years. Brooklyn is also a place where affluent neighborhoods are surrounded by poverty. What we want to know is if Edgewood between RW Park and the water is getting better or worse. We are tired of the car culture and our kids are gone and we never really fit into suburbia anyway. We love to walk and bike ride and we have always loved Rhode Island. This is early retirement for us so while my wife who is an RN, wants to work part time, jobs are not important for me, I will be the homemaker. If there are other urban areas of Providence we should consider, please let us know about them.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,553 times
Psharac, I PM'd you but I'll post here too. Edgewood has beautiful historic homes and is very walkable and bikeable. You can easily walk into Pawtuxet Village and find a small grocer, pharmacy, bookstore, cleaners, nice restaurants, etc., all right next to the water. The northern blocks of Edgewood are more affordable with more modest houses, but still not much crime. The Providence neighborhood that borders Edgewood is Washington Park, which has some drug-related crime but overall is decent as well. Providence has a low violent crime rate for a city anyway. And Edgewood is in NO WAY declining.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,340 times
Hi, I am a realtor in Northern RI and I live in Woonsocket. The school system are not that great in those areas but you can save on taxes. The better the school system; the more you will pay in taxes is the way it goes. Woonsocket is actually building a new middle school and there is alot of grant money coming into the city. It's a great time to buy real estate anywhere is RI. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 7,502 times
Default Cranston

Our children will be entering their senior year at Bard College so schools are not important. What is important is being able to walk in fifteen minutes to the water and to have access to a bike trail within a fifteen minute bike ride. We also want to be able to walk to a bakery, coffee shop, food store and pharmacy. We are well acquainted with an urban environment under going gentrification and that is fine for RI as long as the area is not in decline.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
You can find out just about anything you want to know about any town in the USA using this site Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Also use this to find out about how schools compare GreatSchools.net

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:13 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 12:42 PM

9,293 posts, read 14,908,083 times
For your price range- under 300k-plus walk to water and some shopping-
Have you considered Riverside? It's an area of East Providence (the east bay) which is similar to the Pawtuxet Village area (west side of the bay) but maybe slightly more affordable. I'd say Pawtuxet village wins on the cute & quaint meter but you may not find what you want in your price range. You might do well to look at both sections. EP has a nice waterfront park near the carousel too.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:25 AM

261 posts, read 936,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyprevails View Post

My realtor mentioned that Pawtucket, Central Falls, and Woonsocket are areas to stay away from.

Just as an aside, I think your Realtor violated the law and the NAR code of ethics when he/she said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island