Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:21 AM

55 posts, read 183,239 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what areas welcome transplants, meaning an area where everyone and their family has not lived there for years and years...

My husband and I are in our 30s. It seems that I have come upon people who have childhood friends that they have had for 20 plus years, and no room for new people...also, people here often have their families nearby.

Are there subdivisions in the Richmond metro area that are made up of many transplants where we are welcomed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 02:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
I can tell you that my wife and I have been here for around two months now. We moved from Rochester, NY. Although some people may have long-term friends and family nearby, I don't see it as any different than anywhere else. We have both met nice, endearing friends at work and through community functions. People are friendly and open, just like back home. We currently live in the Fan district in Richmond. I know that the West End is also nice. Many nice homes and communities exist all around the city. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I think it's more closely related to you and your husband being active, friendly and open to Richmond's culture. If you are all of the above, I have no doubt that you'll meet plenty of great people who are willing to open their doors to new friends!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:10 PM

743 posts, read 3,901,351 times
I live in Ladysmith Village, about 30 miles north of Richmond on I-95. The area I live in right now is about 50/50, but over the next 15 years, the numbers will shift dramatically twards transplants, since there are so many new homes planned for the area. My community is just about all transplants, and we have a good time.

Ladysmith - a Newland Community

You should at least stop by and check it out.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:04 PM

55 posts, read 183,239 times
Thank you, Eric. This is the kind of information I was looking for!

Old 09-18-2007, 01:14 PM

203 posts, read 852,815 times
I would say the same about the West End...it seems to be predominantly transplants. Also becoming very crowded though...too much traffic, especially rush hour and weekends. Transplants bring their lack of patience with them, so that takes away from the southern feel that you would expect.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 PM

9 posts, read 19,434 times
Chiming in on ladysmith. Ladysmith is in Caroline County. Wait the five years before moving. The neighborhood (s)he lives in may be transplants, but the county is very undesirable. Obviously, this person has no children. As one long-time resident and friend of mine put it "the Caroline that locals now has an irreparably damaged "give-a-damn- button.' Eric, please continue to associate with your immediate neighbors.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:43 AM

743 posts, read 3,901,351 times
It's not that bad, especially since a lot of residents in Lake Land'or and Lake Caroline are already transplants... just most of them have been here for 10-15 years.

Ladysmith plan allows for growth without sprawl

That is a recent article about the future growth of the Ladysmith area. Estimates are that Ladysmith will have around 30,000 residents by 2027 (in 20 years), compared to the current around 7,000, and only 24,000 in the whole county. It won't be long before the few locals are way outnumbered by transplants. I grew up in Spotsylvania, and the same thing happened there.

As for kids, the county is building a new elementary school inside our community, along with a youth park. The school should be done by January. There will also be more shopping, a YMCA (they're clearing the land), residents club (groundbreaking this fall), amphitheater (almost completed), and miles of walking/bike trails. True, Ladysmith could use a little work in some areas, but with the amount of money these developers are paying to the county... I'm sure all the improvements will happen soon.

Ladysmith Commons (an office and shopping area) is under construction now, within walking distance of most current homes in the development. If you click the following link, you can zoom in on a detailed picture of what it will look like.
LoopNet - Ladysmith Commons, Retail (Other), Ladysmith, VA

Now is an exciting time to move to Ladysmith, because litterally every day I can notice a change, and there's always something new about to open, or an event going on. Ladysmith may look like it's in the middle of no-where, but I really think there's even more stuff to do here, than when I lived in Spotsylvania. There may not be as much shopping, but that will come in time, and for now all the big box stores are 15-20 minutes away, which isn't bad.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 37,249 times
As a former VA transplant (now in Arkansas), and an ex-VA real estate agent, I can suggest that you check out the Cosby High area of Chesterfield county. Look into Woodlake Subdivision and the surrounding area. My husband and I were both in early-mid 30's when we moved to VA and loved the area and all of the transplants we met while there. Let me know if I can offer any more insight.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:41 PM

7 posts, read 28,380 times
The Fan. No question!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 AM

62 posts, read 304,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahelen View Post
Chiming in on ladysmith. Ladysmith is in Caroline County. Wait the five years before moving. The neighborhood (s)he lives in may be transplants, but the county is very undesirable. Obviously, this person has no children. As one long-time resident and friend of mine put it "the Caroline that locals now has an irreparably damaged "give-a-damn- button.' Eric, please continue to associate with your immediate neighbors.
MONAHELEN...as a future resident of Ladysmith Village, in Caroline county I was just curious to get your thoughts about why Caroline county is undesirable ? I know that right now there is not alot in the county but i do see alot of potential, it just seems like everything in Caroline county moves in slow motion, I hope I made the right decision..... anyways please share you thoughts with us .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond