Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,705,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBoy20 View Post
Do not be fooled by "Henrico being Henrico"....East Henrico is a high crime area. I've worked Armed Security at several properties there and have had to deal with many different situations, specially with these teenagers. Guns, drugs, fighting, etc. Do NOT live in East Henrico if you can help it...There aren't really any "good" areas there..stick with the West End or just come on down to Southside Midlothian/Hull Street area.
Just because it is the black side of Henrico does not make it high crime. My family has lived there for generations and never had an issue. In fact since they actually LIVED there I can tell you it is a community where most people actually know their neighbors. It's one of the communities where if someone notices something wrong they will come to check on you or call the police. They mow each others lawn and it's just mostly the older generation old school way of thinking.

They look out for each other in my experience plus it is close to many amenities such as White Oak Village, fairly new and huge St Pauls Baptist Church, the Richmond International Airport and the all new community center. I do not doubt the teens may act up here and there but I've lived in far worse parts of downtown.. we could actually leave our door open all day and not even THINK about someone breaking in or anything.

I believe the Highland Springs area might be a little sketchy near the low income apartments but not the entire eastern part of Henrico let's be serious. I lived right off of Hull Street before and oh my god it was like Compton over there. We had to turn the tv and lights off early because people would just roam the streets firing shots blindly or just hanging out up and down the streets all times of the night yelling no doubt apart of gangs.

I can't even believe you think Hull Street is safer.. you should try doing security there and notice the difference from teens messing around in the streets to actual gangs in the road firing rounds because I know we could have used some security back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:58 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
Who said it was the "black side" of Henrico?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
anders- He said southside Midlothian...I'm assuming he means further south of the area of Hull you're referring to. Hull St goes on for a while. Immediately south of the river its definitely sketchy but go a few more miles and you're fine

Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Who said it was the "black side" of Henrico?
I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
anders- He said southside Midlothian...I'm assuming he means further south of the area of Hull you're referring to. Hull St goes on for a while. Immediately south of the river its definitely sketchy but go a few more miles and you're fine
Well I had to live right near the hospital there and that's all I can attest to.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM

244 posts, read 390,489 times
Two robberies in broad daylight in populated short pump parking lots..lol Yep the undesirables have found the rich peoples west end hideout.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 PM

396 posts, read 421,748 times
Jim I hope you realize that there is not a single shopping area in the country that can say they don't have crime. I've never felt scared in the Short pump area. It's about as clean, new, shiny, safe and upscale as a shopping area can be. And if you knew me you'd know I'm the biggest scaredy cat going. I wouldn't consider shopping anyplace that even looked sketchy. If Short Pump scares a person, then, lol, I don't know what to tell you. It's about as safe as an area that crowded is going to get. Stop scaring people with bullsh*t petty stories that can happen anywhere.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
Short pump isn't scary. But then, neither is most of the city of Richmond.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
Jim I hope you realize that there is not a single shopping area in the country that can say they don't have crime. I've never felt scared in the Short pump area. It's about as clean, new, shiny, safe and upscale as a shopping area can be. And if you knew me you'd know I'm the biggest scaredy cat going. I wouldn't consider shopping anyplace that even looked sketchy. If Short Pump scares a person, then, lol, I don't know what to tell you. It's about as safe as an area that crowded is going to get. Stop scaring people with bullsh*t petty stories that can happen anywhere.
All I read are excuses. He didn't say that no other malls have crime. This is the Richmond board and he was discussing the local mall not all others. Perhaps you don't feel threatned by shopping there and I'm sure those same people that were robbed in the day time did not either. It's the second tine in two weeks that happened there according to nbc12 I believe, so yeah everyone living in their dreamworld will continue to be the main ones violated I suppose. It's about time the tradition carries over since my friends are telling me VCC is basically a ghetto now.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 AM

244 posts, read 390,489 times
Yep, the VCU area is starting to get ****ty too. look at the mob attacks. They criminals will follow the money where ever you move to.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM

396 posts, read 421,748 times
Anders I get that. The point is, that Short Pump is about as safe as a bustling shopping area with middle-upper class people is going to get. Yes, you can never feel too safe anywhere. I'm not saying walk around with your nose in your phone and not pay attention. I'm saying that people on this board have a tendency to say "Well Richmond is like this..." or "Short Pump is ...." and it would give someone looking to move to the area the impression that things must be different here. When 99% of the things you read here apply to all other cities across the US.

Like I said if a person feels like Short Pump is scary then they should just sit in their house with their tin foil hat because they aren't going to feel safe anywhere. I never go to the city of Richmond other than attend church in the UR $$$$ area, so I can't comment on the city but..... I've never met a transplant to the suburbs that didn't love it.

Let's face it, when a person asks what Short Pump is like, telling them about two crimes is kind of misleading, no? Does it not paint a picture of it being a rough area when in fact it's the furthest thing from it? A more complete and truthful statement about Short Pump would be in spite of two recent acts of crime in the area, overall it's a very upscale and safe place to live. About as safe as a suburb can be. The entire area is mostly new, as in, didn't exist 10 years ago. Now it's THE place to live, work and shop, making it folly for long timers to mock. "See, see even Short Pump has crime! It's not all that!"

btw I live about 45 minutes from Short Pump so it's not like I'm defending my neighborhood. I just know a nice and desirable area when I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond