Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 13,145 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have been reading these posts for days and I think I have a decent idea of good and less good areas. We are moving from Minneapolis and will have one child starting high school and one 5th grade in the fall. I feel like I found an area that I would like to focus my search and would love any opinions from locals. My criteria are to be close enough to drive conveniently Ellwood Thompson and Trader Joe's (my kids have multiple food issues and a health food store is a must) and to be in a decent school district. We prefer city to suburb but don't want to pay for private school. Here are a couple addresses I have come up with that feed Douglas Freeman High School.
7400 Glebe Rd, Henrico 23229
1410 Forest Av, Henrico 23229
Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,699,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigra002 View Post
Okay, I have been reading these posts for days and I think I have a decent idea of good and less good areas. We are moving from Minneapolis and will have one child starting high school and one 5th grade in the fall. I feel like I found an area that I would like to focus my search and would love any opinions from locals. My criteria are to be close enough to drive conveniently Ellwood Thompson and Trader Joe's (my kids have multiple food issues and a health food store is a must) and to be in a decent school district. We prefer city to suburb but don't want to pay for private school. Here are a couple addresses I have come up with that feed Douglas Freeman High School.
7400 Glebe Rd, Henrico 23229
1410 Forest Av, Henrico 23229
Any input would be appreciated.
Any reason you are targeting Freeman? It's specialty center has a very strong reputation, but that's application based and open to the entire county. I'd consider Godwin too. It has an excellent academic reputation.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:48 PM

I was considering Freeman because it was the closest high school to the areas we like (Museum, Carytown) with a decent rating. Is it not a great option? I will look into Godwin, thanks.
It's hard when you are moving to a new region and don't have reputation, history, and even heresay to fall back on. Numbers are really what I have to go by. And help from all of you on this forum!

Old 01-24-2014, 02:06 PM

I'm sure it's a good school although doesn't have quite the reputation Godwin or Deep Run have. Whether or not that's important, I'm not sure. Freeman's test scores get driven up by the specialty center. Without those students it wouldn't look as good on paper as it does.

http://henrico.k12.va.us/Pdf/Boundaries/high/Godwin.pdf

Parts of this attendance zone are 15 minutes or so from Carytown. Richmond is an easy city to get in and out of. I commute during rush hour and it takes me < 30 minutes to cover 20 miles.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:40 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,673 times
There's really no "bad" area's in Western Henrico. You should consider the Short Pump area too. If your into townhomes look into the flats at west broad village or the short pump area in general. It's 5 min from the other places but everything you need in either walking or 2 min drive. Trader Joes and Whole Foods almost next to each other, a fresh market down the street plus every other place you'd ever go to. I wouldn't worry about getting into the city. Richmond doesn't have "real" city traffic. I can drive from my house in Glen Allen (also Western Henrico) into downtown in the morning in less than 15 min.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:35 PM

689 posts, read 1,616,472 times
If you move out to Godwin, you'll be closer to Trader Joe's, and still within 10-15 minutes of other things, like Fresh Market. Probably 20 from Ellwood Thompson.

I live in Godwin's area, and we love the area, even though our preference would be to live in the city. It is stronger than Freeman, which is buoyed in stats by its center, as sls76 says. Henrico has a very strong specialty center program at the h.s. level, so if your kids are strong academically, you may not be limited to the district within which you live.

My husband commutes from our house (we're almost in Goochland) to downtown and makes it in about 20-25 minutes, so nothing is really far around here. We're 5 minutes from Trader Joe's, in the Pocahontas Middle School/Mills Godwin pyramid.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:38 PM

BTW -- you'll probably love our winters! We've been out of school for days because of the cold. It's almost zero! ;-) My Twin Cities family laughs at us.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:42 PM

Jeez, I'm flaky tonight. I meant to put this all in one message. There are also local stores that will help -- Good Foods Grocery in Gayton is nice, and they have other locations. That's in the Mills Godwin district. And we have Whole Foods, but that's too pricy for me. I end up spend 3x what I intend to, so I just don't go there.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanwbie View Post
If you move out to Godwin, you'll be closer to Trader Joe's, and still within 10-15 minutes of other things, like Fresh Market. Probably 20 from Ellwood Thompson.

I live in Godwin's area, and we love the area, even though our preference would be to live in the city. It is stronger than Freeman, which is buoyed in stats by its center, as sls76 says. Henrico has a very strong specialty center program at the h.s. level, so if your kids are strong academically, you may not be limited to the district within which you live.

My husband commutes from our house (we're almost in Goochland) to downtown and makes it in about 20-25 minutes, so nothing is really far around here. We're 5 minutes from Trader Joe's, in the Pocahontas Middle School/Mills Godwin pyramid.
Since middle school will be a consideration in a year, Pocahontas is an excellent option--one of the best in the state based on test scores.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 PM

Fantastic info. Thanks to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond