Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 AM

6 posts, read 35,810 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to Richmond in (hopefully) the next year. We used to live there, but it has been 10 years and the area has changed a lot since then. I am looking for ancedotal information about the neighborhoods in the Western part of Henrico. We haven't made any house-hunting trips yet so I'd like to get a better feel for the neighborhoods before we do so we plan our time wisely. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 01:06 PM

21 posts, read 87,720 times
What would you like to know? I have lived in that area, in two different neighborhoods, for five years now.

When you said the area has changed alot in 10 years, you said a mouthful. I can't believe how much it's changed just in the last 5 years. There are some really nice neighborhoods in the far western part of Henrico, as well as some instant pop-up McNeighborhoods (just add water!). Some are quite nice; a lot of the new ones make my skin crawl because there is nary a tree in sight, and they cram these huge houses on these little lots all cheek to jowl. And of course, they all must have brick fronts and big white columns to impress each other.

Full disclosure: I live in a neighborhood kind of like that - but it is "older" (first houses built in 1990-1991). Lots are slightly larger than a lot of the newer stuff being built.

Plan on spending $150 per square foot and up. You might find something for $140/ sq.ft., depending on where you look.

I advocate Long & Foster's web site - not because I have any connection or affiliation or get a kick-back (I do not), but simply because I used it alot when we were house hunting and I found it useful. There are a couple others as well, but I seem to remember using Long & Foster's most.

What are you looking for? There is a decided difference in feel between some of the newer neighborhoods north of West Broad street and those farther south of West Broad. Also, how far west are you thinking of?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:21 PM

9 posts, read 33,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moemachine View Post
I found a couple of great real estate sites that really deal with Richmond and Metro Areas for good home deals. The first is http://www.searchhomesrichmondva.com which I found very informative without being bombarded with tons of emails and junk.

The second is http://www.yourhomeoffers.com and it too was a great resource to include it's links and the fact that they seem to have access to homes that are under foreclosure or distressed sellers for the best home deals in the area.
Go away spammer!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:55 AM

15 posts, read 82,451 times
My family moved about two years ago from north side to a neighborhood located in the far west end (off of pump road). When we were looking at homes the majority were priced in the 400k and above range. People are moving in and out of the neighborhood relatively often. Our neighbors were welcoming. Some neighborhoods in the area are cookie cutter, while others have a very unique flair.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 35,810 times
Thanks for the responses - I guess I'm just looking for insider information on neighborhoods/subdivisions - which ones are generally nice, which ones have some problems, etc. When we moved to our current location I didn't know much about the area but through some web research, I found that some neighborhoods that looked fine in pictures had problems in real life with crime, etc. I know nothing is guaranteed, but I found the information I saw to generally be pretty accurate once we moved here.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 PM

15 posts, read 82,451 times
I can not think of any areas in the west end that have had any real problems with crime. the most heinous thing that comes to mind that has happened around here in the past 2 years I have lived here was when some middle schoolers smashed some pumpkins after halloween.

the only part of henrico that I would be apprehensive about is northside. I lived there almost my whole life. we were always careful to lock the doors. there was always a lot of domestic discontent in the houses around us. it is a lot more peaceful in the west end.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 PM

13 posts, read 51,893 times
Hello,

So if you were to get a job in Henrico County as a teacher, which areas have the nicest schools. I thought Glen Allen was suppose to be nice, but that is in the north side.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:45 AM

21 posts, read 87,720 times
The term "Glen Allen" covers a pretty large and varied area, actually. And I think different people get a different picture when you say "Northside".

The NEAR northside (i.e., just up Route 1 near the Richmond Border - Azalea, near the Raceway) is pretty sketchy. I lived farther up Route 1, right near the Virginia Center Commons Mall, in a neighborhood called Magnolia Ridge, and it was fine. My daughters went to Longdale grammar school, and then Greenwood opened up and my younger one went there as my older one went on to middle school. Then we moved to the far west end (Short Pump area). There definitely is a difference, though. I think, however, that the "farther" northside area is changing as the urban sprawl pushes up towards the Hanover County line.

To be completely blunt, the better schools are in the West End. Deep Run, Tucker, Tuckahoe, Nuckols Farm, Pocahontas, etc. are all your better schools. The other thing to keep in mind is that Henrico has an unusual system. It is one of the rare counties that has an International Baccalaureate (IB) "middle years" program (MYP)- you can take the IB allthrough middle school and first two years of high school. The IB MYP is run in Moody Middle School only, which is kind of centrally located (although closer to the west half of the county). Some of the students at Moody are the IB kids; the rest are kids for whom Moody is just their zone school.

At the high school level, Henrico has "specialty centers" where kids can go even though the school is not their zone school. There is a performing arts center, language immersion, humanities - and then, of course, on top of that you've got the Governor's school. And the IB program, which is run out of Henrico HS (debatable how that school is - the IB program itself certainly is great; problem might be some of the rest of the student population). Each zone center operates out of a different HS, with the majority of the student population being kids for whom that school is their zone school. There is tons of information available one line about Henrico schools, including demographics, funding, etc. - just do some Googling.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:31 PM

33 posts, read 135,656 times
The Far West End... I think almost ANY neighborhood out this way is nice, safe and friendly. So many of the Elementary Schools are outstanding out this way (Nuckols Farm, Rivers Edge, Twin Hickory and Shady Grove come to mind quickly) and quite honestly, I think it has to do with the demographics. Far West End tends to be rather affluent with parents who really value education and are very involved in the schools. I truly, truly think you would be hard pressed to find a neighborhood out this way that is "bad". You might not like certain lot sizes or amenities, but pretty, safe and friendly - most of them!

Re West End (as opposed to Far West End) you are closer to the city and in some of the most affluent and gorgeous neighborhoods (Winsor Farms is in the city, but the neighborhoods that are near it) do have enough break-ins. Very affluent and near City = tougher stats. FWE is soccer-Mom heaven (for good or bad!).

Last edited by christina0001; 01-20-2008 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: edited at poster's request

Old 01-31-2008, 05:39 AM

5 posts, read 19,323 times
Smile Chesterfield versus Henrico Country?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments regarding the school's. That was just the sort of information I was looking for as well. I am flying over from England next week to check out properties. Can I ask what Virginian's say about W. Henrico country vs Chesterfield county. I am looking for good schools, safe areas for children, convenient shopping and things to do w/o gridlock traffic. I don't want to be in one of those sort of cookie cutter neighborhoods. Am looking for around 1 acre plots that are in neighborhoods, just not on top of each other. Is it possible? Due to a favorable exchange rate, I have a budget around $700 or $800k. Let me know what people think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: