Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 07:09 AM

1,022 posts, read 911,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
Everything with the name of MLK shall be immediately torn down. His womanizing is a source of much shame. It is also time to tear down anything with FDR. His treatment of Japanese Americans during WW2 is atrocious. #noFDR #noMLK
I'm fine with taking FDR down. MLK is a strawman because his personal dealings didn't affect the country. You aren't tired of crying about this? You've been on about this for a couple of weeks now. No one is going to change their mind. You are just screaming into the abyss at this point. Change can be difficult but it's important to remain dynamic.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:36 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I'm fine with taking FDR down. MLK is a strawman because his personal dealings didn't affect the country. You aren't tired of crying about this? You've been on about this for a couple of weeks now. No one is going to change their mind. You are just screaming into the abyss at this point. Change can be difficult but it's important to remain dynamic.
I am "crying"? I am "screaming?" sorry bubba, but I am not the one throwing works of art into the james river demanding the cops be "defunded" in favor of "arts education." see, I'm laughing. MLK is a complete monster. also, obama should be banished for his attitude on gays. since he's still alive, I think it's about time we threw him in prison. #lockobamaup

Old 06-18-2020, 12:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 911,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I am "crying"? I am "screaming?" sorry bubba, but I am not the one throwing works of art into the james river demanding the cops be "defunded" in favor of "arts education." see, I'm laughing. MLK is a complete monster. also, obama should be banished for his attitude on gays. since he's still alive, I think it's about time we threw him in prison. #lockobamaup
Ok, bubba. It doesn't seem like you're laughing, however. You seem upset by all of this.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:55 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molinyc View Post
Personally, I'd like to see these statues replaced by those honoring true American patriots.
Lincoln, Grant, Sherman,Sheridan, John Brown, Frederick Douglass....
160 years later and we are still celebrating racist hillbillies and their culture? Amazing.
Lincoln? The one who ordered an invasion on Virginia? (And if you think that was about Slavery, I have a bridge to show you).

Grant? Slaves were owned in his family too.

Sherman? Ever read the horrors of destruction on his March to the Sea?

Sheridan? Again read about his horrors of destruction in Virginia. He was another one where he was so bad that some of his men were turning on him. Yes, Union Army men.

I would love to have a time machine to go back so some of you can witness what went on personally.

The destruction I'm talking about was inflicted on innocent citizens. Many, if not most, who were Anti-Slavery yet.

I just read again recently that for one, Sherman, would have been guilty of war crimes in today's standards.

Last edited by 16 Acres; 06-18-2020 at 01:43 PM..

Old 06-18-2020, 02:59 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Ok, bubba. It doesn't seem like you're laughing, however. You seem upset by all of this.
I'm not a liberal. therefore, I don't get emotional about politics. I don't cry when politicians get elected. I laugh at idiots tearing their own town apart, apparently not knowing that half the counties in the state are named after slave owners. good luck with everything.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:05 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
UPDATED: Richmond judge extends injunction barring removal of Lee statue on Monument Avenue

https://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...3c01e9481.html

Old 06-19-2020, 05:30 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Keep extending it and they will find that the people choose to take it down, this has been going on too long and they are not going to wait.

What is it the Trumpers are saying about SCOTUS (to paraphrase) "that the courts should not be legislating law that is the role of Congress" well if the state own the statue isn't it their place to decide its fate? What law is this judge implementing to impose what appears to be his view delaying the removal, all I see quoted is "his view".

Old 06-19-2020, 07:31 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Keep extending it and they will find that the people choose to take it down, this has been going on too long and they are not going to wait.

What is it the Trumpers are saying about SCOTUS (to paraphrase) "that the courts should not be legislating law that is the role of Congress" well if the state own the statue isn't it their place to decide its fate? What law is this judge implementing to impose what appears to be his view delaying the removal, all I see quoted is "his view".
I came in exactly to say this; no one is surprised that there is resistance to ripping it down. This is Virginia, after all...

It's coming down though, so they can spend the time and money delaying the inevitable, in the end the judge and other Confederate backers will not be pleased at the result....

Old 06-19-2020, 09:40 AM

597 posts, read 449,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I came in exactly to say this; no one is surprised that there is resistance to ripping it down. This is Virginia, after all...

It's coming down though, so they can spend the time and money delaying the inevitable, in the end the judge and other Confederate backers will not be pleased at the result....

They should cut it up in and sell the pieces to the supporters so that they can place it in their own homes... above the fireplace.... bed.... bathroom mirror .. or wherever place of their choosing.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:11 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
They should cut it up in and sell the pieces to the supporters so that they can place it in their own homes... above the fireplace.... bed.... bathroom mirror .. or wherever place of their choosing.
100%. That way their feelings are still taken care of (LOL) 155 years after losing a war predicated on racist ideology, they can keep those treasured relics of that embarrassing period of time and worship in the comfort of their own homes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond