Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 AM

8 posts, read 19,922 times

Advertisements

Thanx Honestone!! That is exactly where we are leaning. After really looking at it we seem to feel that we would get the most out of this community. From sports to to education it has what we need and want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,495 times
Don't rule out Chesterfield. You might want to look into the eastern part of the county. We relocated here a year ago and our kids have done well. As another poster mentioned, there is football through the Recreation Association (kinda feeds into zones based on school attendance). When you visit the Richmond area try and head this way for a quick look.

There are many things this side of Richmond has going for it. One is the proximity to Fort Lee. With the expansion I think housing may hold value, and hopefully increase. Also, even though gas prices have decreased, they are already rising again. If you can cut your husband's commute time, that would be a bonus, both in monetary and time gains.

If you have any specific questions about the Chester area while doing your research, feel free to post again or DM me.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 AM

157 posts, read 569,429 times
Hi Lonestar Mom, I almost could've written the post you wrote. We're from MI, considering a move to Richmond area, too. I don't have a high schooler but I do have a middle schooler and 2 elementary schoolers, one Kindergartener-to-be. Have you found anything yet?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarmom View Post
My husband is being relocated from Austin and his offices will be in Chester. We are looking for a great place to settle once there. We live outside of Austin in an area that has EXCELLENT schools as well as really great sports programs - both of which are important as we have 3 boys!! WE are worried about home prices - our house appraises at 215,000 right now and is a 3/2/2 2300 sq ft. We have a child at all grade levels (high, middle & elementary). All 3 play baseball and the middle schooler plays football. My 2 older ones are in all AP classes. I am very active in PTA and boosters and would like to be in a like minded area. We are so stressed cuz we have heard good and bad about these school districts - chesterfield, henrico and hanover. Commuting isnt an issue my husband has about a 45 min drive as it is. Schools and nieghborhood is the most important for us!! Can anyone please help!!!
looked it up grate place nice and lovely schools but alot of money but check it for your self and google it i did

Old 02-22-2009, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 973 times
Lonestar mom - just found out we're moving to the Richmond area at the end of this school year. Please let me know what you have found out! I have 2 boys who love sports and I want excellent schools also. We're moving from the Boston area and am hoping we won't have to spend as much as we did up here for real estate. BTW I'm originally from TX -loved living in Austin. Am nervous about moving to VA and very confused also.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 24,350 times
i like hopewell, and the houses are very reasonable, but i dont know how the schools are, as i have no children.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM

34 posts, read 76,280 times
I have posed re: the tri cities area. See:

Small town near Richmond?

I think you will like this area and not have to drive very far. I think the travel from Henrico to Chester is unessesary. We chose to live in this area when we moved to Virginia in 1985 because of the good school districts. Not sure how that has changed over the years, but I have still heard good things about the schools in Chester and Google Thomas Dale High School. They have an excellent football and wrestling team. My son played soccer and there are a out of youth teams that your kids can try out for.

I left Houston, Texas in 1985 and although Virginia is beautiful, my heart never left Texas and I'm hoping to move back within the next year. I am researching Austin. One thing I can say, is it was a major culture shock when I first got here. The taxes in the commonwealth are horrible. Had I know then what I know now, I would never have moved here. You will get more house for less money in the tri cities area and a better tax structure. It is really hard to meet people here, very clickish.

Check out Chester, Enon, Walthall Mill, Walthall Creek. I think River's Bend may be a little pricey for you. Feel free to email me if you need more info on this area. It is a very family friendly area but it takes a while to fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond