Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 PM

22 posts, read 85,901 times

Advertisements

I hope so because I LOVE the South and the people- their genuine friendliness, courtesy, great humor and fun, fun, fun! Does Richmond and suburbs still have this character? What do all y'all think?

Last edited by Stan2009; 03-20-2009 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 PM

208 posts, read 1,217,448 times
Richmond most def. southern.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:26 AM

132 posts, read 253,672 times
not to me... ive lived in atlanta and now live in raleigh, have also lived in ny, nj, and philly... richmond is no "howdy yall" type of place... its not a "fuhgeddabouddit" place either... its midway... if you come looking for "howdy yall" and get the state bird flown at you in rush hour traffic from a guy cutting your lane off then you will be dissappointed. its the mid atlantic so just "fuhgeddabouddit".

Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 AM

22 posts, read 85,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRAMAL View Post
not to me... ive lived in atlanta and now live in raleigh, have also lived in ny, nj, and philly... richmond is no "howdy yall" type of place... its not a "fuhgeddabouddit" place either... its midway... if you come looking for "howdy yall" and get the state bird flown at you in rush hour traffic from a guy cutting your lane off then you will be dissappointed. its the mid atlantic so just "fuhgeddabouddit".
Are the people flipping the bird from Virginia or are the New York Metro and North Jersey transplants?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:32 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan2009 View Post
Are the people flipping the bird from Virginia or are the New York Metro and North Jersey transplants?
Maybe both. Richmond region has grown at least 100, 000 since the year 2000. Places like Short Pump and Fort Lee are expanding a bit. Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-22-2009, 03:47 AM

132 posts, read 253,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan2009 View Post
Either way, it is what you will probably experience soon after ariving in Richmond... when you are behind the wheel of your car and on the recieving end of the bird you wont know anything about the sender other than he was in a rush and you ticked him off.
If transplants have changed the fabric of Richmond, like many other areas, then the fact remains that the fabric has changed.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 AM

Well I have to disagree to an extent. Richmond has allot of transplants from New Jersey and New York that move south from Northern Virginia and infest the central region of Virginia. However, speak to some of the older African American's in the area there is a big twang in there speech patterns, like what you would here in Tennessee (no im not exaggerating). It’s very rare to hear someone Caucasian with an accent anymore, if you’re lucky you might come across a Tidewater accent, but it's rare anymore. The architecture of the city is not northern, that’s for sure. The pace of people in Richmond is allot slower than the Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia, maybe not on par with Raleigh, but you couldn’t compare to with a New Jersey, or New York city. Honestly Richmond is more southern than a good chunk of eastern North Carolina, its not like this whole loosing the southern trait thing is just typical in Virginia. I don’t even hear people speak like "fuhgeddabouddit" until I hit South Carolina/Georgia.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:55 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
Honestly Richmond is more southern than a good chunk of eastern North Carolina
Doubt it. Thats laughable...

Old 03-22-2009, 10:05 AM

317 posts, read 1,750,753 times
I agree that its half and half/midway southern. You have some howdy southern types of people but many northern transplants.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
Doubt it. Thats laughable...

Oh yeah because the Outer Banks is southern? The only southern thing there is Pigman's BBQ. North Carolina population is growing at the fastest rate in the US, allot of those dem der accents are turning into yo quiro accents due to the all the damn immigration.

At least Richmond has one of the Capitals of Confederacy, North Carolina dont have nothin on that.

I don’t even like Richmond, so I am just confusing myself now as to why I am even defending the damn place.

To the person who started this thread, just go to Richmond and drive around, talk to the people, if you like it then great, if you don’t oh well. Same thing with the southern/ northern aspects. Make your own assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond