Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 10,436 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Richmond for a job in the city and am hoping to get some advice about neighborhoods.
I like the history and culture in Richmond, am single, educated, professional, mid-30's and have a small dog but no kids. I am impressed with the funky, charming, cultured, artsy vibe I have seen in parts of Richmond but they seem to be dispersed and not in just one centralized district. I wouldn't mind living in a large loft, high ceilings, wooden floors and am accustomed to urban environments that are as affordable as possible. Enjoy diversity and tolerance but the same time, I have outgrown partying all night long and am looking for a reasonably quiet and safe neighborhood. I would prefer to avoid much of a commute.
Can anyone give me input about looking in a certain area of the city or even a suburb? I wouldn't mind a housemate under the right circumstance and would consider a match with a clean/quiet/responsible/respectful/stable person to share expenses with. Male or female, doesn't matter. Please help.
I'm also interested in meeting new people and not sure where to start so I welcome any suggestions. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,705 times
You should consider living in the far west end of Henrico County. The houses are nicely build and it's a quiet place overall. There's also some good education over here!

Old 08-13-2009, 06:34 AM

370 posts, read 1,014,026 times
I wouldn't suggest the Far West End at all unless what you are looking for is strip malls and chain stores and I don't get the sense that you are. You may want to consider Manchester, just across the James River from downtown and home to a pretty active gallery, Plant Zero. It's in an industrial area in the middle of a conversion to residential so it's not a lot to look at but there are some lofts there that may fit the bill. You may also want to consider Tobacco Row or Shockoe Bottom though depending on where in the Bottom you are you may be in the middle of the bar scene. Avoid 18th Street and Main Street between 15th and 19th. Also if you can luck out and find a cheap place in Shockoe Slip, that's a very cool neighborhood with plenty of restaurants/cafes but a more low-key feel. Good luck with the search.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 PM

383 posts, read 1,020,809 times
I agree-- the far westend is out for you.... U]you are a downtown or fan area type of guy. Check out:
Venture Richmond

Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Default Super helpful, thank you!

I really appreciate your input, thanks! This is exactly the kind of information I'm after since I have no idea what I am doing. I'm excited about the adventure and the people. Cheers!

I wouldn't suggest the Far West End at all unless what you are looking for is strip malls and chain stores and I don't get the sense that you are. You may want to consider Manchester, just across the James River from downtown and home to a pretty active gallery, Plant Zero. It's in an industrial area in the middle of a conversion to residential so it's not a lot to look at but there are some lofts there that may fit the bill. You may also want to consider Tobacco Row or Shockoe Bottom though depending on where in the Bottom you are you may be in the middle of the bar scene. Avoid 18th Street and Main Street between 15th and 19th. Also if you can luck out and find a cheap place in Shockoe Slip, that's a very cool neighborhood with plenty of restaurants/cafes but a more low-key feel. Good luck with the search.[/quote]

Old 08-13-2009, 07:36 PM

This link is great! What a perfect resource. Thank you. Can someone tell me what the "fan" area is?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 PM

542 posts, read 997,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbrain201 View Post
This link is great! What a perfect resource. Thank you. Can someone tell me what the "fan" area is?
The fan in Richmond is a neighborhood in the western section of the city. If you look at a map, the streets literally fan out, hence the name. Some of the major streets of the fan are-Monument, Grace, Cary and Main. I don't live in Richmond, but frequent it often, so I'm not sure exactly what the border of the neighborhood is. Possibly everything west of the Boulevard? Carytown is there, on Cary street, it's a neat little shopping district with an amazing old movie theater, the Byrd. Monument is a cobblestone or brick lined street with many civil war statues and one of Arthur Ashe. I believe VCU has some dorm rooms in the area but not sure. Either way the fan is a very nice walkable old established neighborhood with some occasional crime. Nothing compared to New York I'm sure. Hope you enjoy Richmond and hope your move goes well! Welcome.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 AM

That's really helpful, thank you! Thank you for the warm welcome. The people seem so friendly, I am possibly just as excited about this change as I am about the new job!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 AM

Fan district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 PM

also sent you a direct message regarding other resources
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: