Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,214 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I was just recently accepted at EMU and I am very strongly considering making the move. I am 26 years old and going to be completing my masters degree. I am single and will be there to focus on my studies first and foremost. However, I do want to know what the nightlife is like, what the young people do there, and how much entertainment in general there is there. I realize D.C. is only about two hours away which doesnt bother me, but I need someone who has been there or lives there to tell me more??? Please any details would be great!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 02:43 AM

542 posts, read 992,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy910 View Post
How would the commute from Harrisonburg to Arlington be on a daily basis???
I didn't see this so I hope it still applies. In one word-brutal. In miles it's a 2 hr trip one way, and once you hit Gainesville it's bumper to bumper traffic all the way into DC. It could easily turn into a three to four hour one way trip depending on traffic. Even without it, it's still hard to imagine on a daily basis. Once or twice a week would be more realistic. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:57 AM

542 posts, read 992,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrabie3 View Post
Hello All,

I was just recently accepted at EMU and I am very strongly considering making the move. I am 26 years old and going to be completing my masters degree. I am single and will be there to focus on my studies first and foremost. However, I do want to know what the nightlife is like, what the young people do there, and how much entertainment in general there is there. I realize D.C. is only about two hours away which doesnt bother me, but I need someone who has been there or lives there to tell me more??? Please any details would be great!!!!!
Hi there and welcome to the area! I live 20 mins south in Staunton so I hope i can be of help. H-burg is the regional shopping destination but is still a relatively small town. I don't party so I don't know what the nightlife is, but it seems there are a lot of private parties thrown by the JMU students. There are some small bars/clubs downtown, but don't ask me their name as I have never been and they always seem to change owners/names. What people do for fun? It's in a rural part of the state so some locals like to hunt and fish. You have your mainstays like bowling and movies and JMU related sports events, and concerts. Honestly it's kind of bland. Lots of chains as far as restaurants and shopping. Now what JMU students do for fun? Drink, party, and have sex! But what college kid doesn't? All in all, H-burg is a nice place, not a great place. It has some character downtown, but it's not much. I view it as a service city, you go there to shop and do your business, but then go home. You don't really go there to sightsee or stroll the downtown streets or mingle at cool locally owned businesses and coffeshops. Ironically Staunton offers this though it's smaller. Any other questions just ask. Hope this helps!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 PM

13 posts, read 28,180 times
Harrisonburg has come a long way since I graduated from JMU ten years ago. I would definitely choose it over Arlington, especially after commuting from Stafford to Alexandria for two years. Yes, the shopping and nightlife are great in northern VA, but I prefer trees and roads where I can actually drive on, instead of constantly slamming my foot on the brake. Besides, I'm sure you'll find plenty to do in Harrisonburg- check out the concerts, sports games, etc. at the college. Skyline Drive is only thirty minutes away, and a ski resort even less. And I imagine there must be plenty of farmers' markets around in the warmer months. Hmm, makes me want to pick up and move back there!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM

470 posts, read 2,097,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy910 View Post
How would the commute from Harrisonburg to Arlington be on a daily basis???
By the 4th day, you'd quit whatever job you were commuting to -- if you hadn't already pulled off the road and set yourself on fire in a fit of rage.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:20 AM

87 posts, read 390,973 times
LOL!!! THANKS Jim!! Your reply came through loud and clear...

Do you know anything about Manassas VA???

Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 PM

470 posts, read 2,097,112 times
I'm afraid not a whole lot.

I know Manassas is a big sprawling area with both newer and older subdivisions and plenty of affordable housing. There's a cute little downtown Manassas city. There's been some controversy there lately with people clashing over the illegal immigration issue.

And of course the famous battle field.

Probably a 45 minute to 1 hour commute to arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond