Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 7,417 times

Advertisements

Is Monument Park area of Richmond nice to purchase a home? Safe? What other parts of Richmond are nice/safe to buy a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:02 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,215 times
Monument Avenue, located in the city's Fan district, has the distinction of the being the only street in the United States that is a National Historic Landmark. The tree-lined street is home to several monuments.

The Fan is a district of Richmond, Virginia, so named because of the "fan" shape of the array of streets that extend west from Belvidere Street, on the eastern edge of Monroe Park, westward to the Boulevard. The Fan is one of the easterly points to the city's West End section, and is bordered to the north by Broad Street and to the south by Cary Street. Many cafes and locally owned restaurants are located here, as well as historic Monument Avenue.

The Fan is significant for having one of the longest intact stretches of Victorian Architecture in the United States.

~historic richmond foundation

The fan/monument ave/museum district are extremely safe and extremely nice places to live. other safe and nice places around Richmond include western Henrico County, and Midlothian in Chesterfield

Old 04-02-2010, 11:28 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
I think Monument Park refers to some townhouse-style condos on Monument between Sauer and Shenandoah. It's closer to Willow Lawn than the historic district. They look nice from the street and are reasonably close to retail and services. Thomas Jefferson High School is just a couple of blocks away.

"Safety" is a relative term -- it really depends upon your city-savvy and what you're used to and/or willing to put up with. Parking (and car safety) might be an issue. There's a fair amount of petty crime all over, but you can look up reported instances by zip code at RichmondCrime.org

There are several houses for sale on Monument -- from The Fan all the way out to Henrico County. There are also brand new townhouses and condos at Monument Square, also near Willow Lawn.

The forum has lots of threads and posts about individual neighborhoods and their characteristics that you can read by using the Search feature at the top of the page. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods all over the area -- a lot depends upon where you work, whether you want urban or more suburban surroundings, whether you have kids in schools, etc.

Best of luck.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 AM

130 posts, read 297,006 times
Default Best urban neighborhood in Richmond for a single, retired female?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
The forum has lots of threads and posts about individual neighborhoods and their characteristics that you can read by using the Search feature at the top of the page. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods all over the area -- a lot depends upon where you work, whether you want urban or more suburban surroundings, whether you have kids in schools, etc.

Best of luck.
Is it possible to live in Richmond without a car? Which neighborhood in Richmond would have the following characteristics:
1. a good selection of affordable rental apartments -- budget $1000 or less
2. walking distance to basic amenities and shopping -- grocery stores, restaurants, etc.
3. safe
4. accessible to public transportation
5. accessible to community or continuing education (university or workshops)
6. urban vibe
7. a park for walking or relaxing in without getting mugged
8. proximity to arts and culture

I'm looking for my new hometown and entertaining all possibilities. I do not want to own or buy property, and if I can help it, I don't want to own a car. I know that there may be trade-offs, if I cannot find everything important to me in one place. I'd be grateful for any input or feedback from the forum.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:54 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
The Fan District or Museum District
1. yes
2. yes, like http://www.carytownrva.com/index.php and a plethora of neighborhood restaurants and merchants
3. not Mayberry safe but yes
4. yes, That said, public transit in Richmond leaves some to be desired. Be sure to check GRTC's website and try some sample trips.
5. yes (VCU, U of R by bus)
6. yes
7. yes, several pocket parks and close to Byrd Park, Maymont Park, James River Park System etc
8. yes walk to VMFA, other museums, ride bike to Broad Street Art gallery district, etc etc If you're artistic, VMFA is having a grand opening of its major expansion in May http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/Default.aspx

Old 04-24-2010, 06:42 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times
If you plan it right, they even have bus stops right in the Walmart parking lot so technically you could still survive.. if you like walmart. Otherwise you'd have to find a cab driver who shows mercy. I didn't have a car for like 4 months but I was lucky to live near a bus line.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 AM

54 posts, read 154,867 times
I've been without a car in richmond for about the same amount of time when I used to live in the east end just off laburnum ave. Good thing i had a butt load of friends who always had my back taking me where I needed to go. gotta love friends like dat

Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM

130 posts, read 297,006 times
Default What about Short Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
The Fan District or Museum District
1. yes
2. yes, like Carytown "A Mile of Style" and a plethora of neighborhood restaurants and merchants
3. not Mayberry safe but yes
4. yes, That said, public transit in Richmond leaves some to be desired. Be sure to check GRTC's website and try some sample trips.
5. yes (VCU, U of R by bus)
6. yes
7. yes, several pocket parks and close to Byrd Park, Maymont Park, James River Park System etc
8. yes walk to VMFA, other museums, ride bike to Broad Street Art gallery district, etc etc If you're artistic, VMFA is having a grand opening of its major expansion in May Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA
Thank you. The districts Fan/Museum sound promising. I'll take a look in early May when I investigate housing in Richmond. I may succumb to buying a car just to have the freedom to go whenever and wherever, but not as soon as I move, so accessibility to shops and entertainment is important to me. I'm looking for really long-term living and entering the 3rd stage (sounds like science fiction or horror genre) Will work part-time to pay for my car -- that's the extent of my employment plans.

What about Short Pump? I know it's a suburb (about 11 miles from downtown) and I checked the website for West Broad Villages. It looks like it's going to be a fabulous community. Any inputs on this place? Anybody who has just moved in or have lived there to give first-hand feedback on the complex?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM

370 posts, read 1,009,874 times
West Broad Village has potential if it ever fills in but in the end it's still an island of "urbanity" in a sea of strip malls, shopping malls, and surface lots. I think you'd find yourself feeling pretty disconnected from everything if you lived out there, especially if you didn't have a car.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
There is currently no public transit nearby and few sidewalks outside of the development (even fewer signalized crosswalks). Perhaps in the future...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: