Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 35,202 times

Advertisements

Could anyone provide a quick overview of Freeman and Tucker Highschools and the elementary/middle schools feeding into these highschoos?

I like the location of the districts...close to the city, where the neighborhoods appear to be older and more established, but wonder about how the schools compare to those further out(Godwin/Deep Run)?

Any insight would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
Here's some analytical information that might help. Freeman does have high SAT scores (but much lower participation than Deep Run and Godwin).

http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/pdf/Sch...Deep%20Run.pdf
http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/pdf/Sch...les/Godwin.pdf
http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/pdf/sch...les/Tucker.pdf
http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/pdf/sch...es/freeman.pdf

SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools
greatschools.net

Western Henrico does have some of the best elementaries in the state--most of those feed into Short Pump Middle or Pocahontas Middle and then Godwin or Deep Run. I have heard good things about Tuckahoe Elementary (which I believe feeds into Tuckahoe Middle and Freeman High School).

Old 03-16-2010, 11:03 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
We had great experience with Tucker the demographics are more diversified that Godwin or Deep run but I view that as an advantage. Many people view an older school has be inadequate compared to the newer shiney one and Freeman was jsut overhauled during the last 2 years, Tucker is due in the next 2 years (if the budget allows). Please check the sites listed by SLS76 and form your own opinion. Many sites rank schools based on certain limited criteria such as IB classes or how many AP exams are given, this is a narrow part of what makes a school for a student. Visit both during school and decide how they feel to you, compare them to what your children are currently in.

For middle schools I had 1 daughter attend Short Pump which I have nothing positive to say the other did the IB Middle School program at Moody which was great for her. Since then my neighborhood attends Hungry Creek Middle which I hear nothing but rave reviews over.

Elementary schools my younger daughter attended Longan which is in West End Manor, great neighborhood school and close. I hear a lot of positive comments about Echo Lake, Springfield, and Skipwith which hosts the GT Elementary program.

I also like the older neighborhoods, I consider having older neighbors a plus as they look out for everyone. If I need something at shortpump I am <10 minutes away but I don't have to deal with the traffic everyday which is a +.

Good luck in your decision, I used the Stamford 9's as a comparison when house hunting 12 years ago, SOL's were too new then. It was a good standard to compare apples to oranges. Message me if you have any specific questions....

Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,766 times
Freeman is an outstanding high school, as are Godwin and Deep Run. Freeman is older and draws from older neighborhoods and also has a little more diversity--pulling from the most aflfuent parts of town as well as some older places. Many, many extremely wealthy families send theri kids to Freeman despite the availability of good private schools. Also, Freeman's AP and honors classes may be the best in the county. Freeman and Godwin are both blue ribbon schools, and Deep Run will likely be soon. Also, all three were the only Henrico public high schools to recieve commendation from the Governor's Office last year. If I were you, I would pick the house you like--if its in any of these three school districts you will be pleased.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 21,589 times
I graduated in the Godwin class of 2003. um, it was the only high school I went to so I have nothing to compare it to. the kids at my high school were given a lot of money by their parents, they didnt really get outside the West End, etc. the school was overcrowded and the building was too small for its growth rate. I think there were 400 people in my graduating class. the teachers were all right, a few very passionate about their subjects. I had some teachers I just loved who I missed a lot after I graduated. a lot of graduates ended up at UVA and Virginia Tech which are very good schools so I take it Godwin educates well. one of my graduating class even went to Harvard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond