Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 47,594 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the Travel Town swimming pool in Cloverdale? I remember my parents taking me there in the late 70s and early 80s. It used to be quite the place to go in the hot summer. They had high diving boards and a big sliding board. I can remember it so vividly but I can't find any information about it. I live in Philadelphia now so i'm not even sure that the motor lodge is still there. I know they filled in the pool and closed it up in the late 80s. Does anyone remember this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:04 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Found a pic...

Travel Town Pool | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrielbishop/2237564608/ - broken link)

Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
And an article from 2 years ago...don't know what has happened since then...

The Botetourt View: Community news from Botetourt County – Roanoke.com » Terrific Tuesday: Travel Town has been sold

Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
I remember going there as a kid as well. I especially loved the huge slide.
The site has been totally demolished as the previous owners kept it as an eyesore. There are no remnants of the pool now. The site will probably sit vacant for the next 20 years or until a used car lot desides its a desirable location.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibausfa View Post
Does anyone remember the Travel Town swimming pool in Cloverdale? I remember my parents taking me there in the late 70s and early 80s. It used to be quite the place to go in the hot summer. They had high diving boards and a big sliding board. I can remember it so vividly but I can't find any information about it. I live in Philadelphia now so i'm not even sure that the motor lodge is still there. I know they filled in the pool and closed it up in the late 80s. Does anyone remember this?
didn't know they recently demolished it, and I didn't live in Roanoke back in the day, but boy was this place creepy - lived there 1999 - 2009 - during the first few years, it looked like a flop house - one or two rooms occupied by hobos or something, from there it went totally deserted and looked the PERFECT setting for some sort of motel horror movie i.e. Bates Motel part V.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 47,594 times
thanks for the link to the pics. It brought back memories! It's funny how the colors remained the same over all the years.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 7,846 times
I got all nostalgic about summers back home today and went searching for the Traveltown pool on google maps. I used to go there with my sister and our wild next door neighbor in the late 80s. If you google 1674 Lee Highway. Cloverdale, VA 24077-3106 and zoom in on satellite view, you can see the blue rectangle of the pool out the back of the motel, though it is very overgrown. Somehow, it's a bit sad.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 7,560 times
Yes I remember it well. I spend all my teenage years there. My best friend's Grandfather and Father owned the motel, restaurant, pool, amusement park and skating rink. This was in the 60's and it was a great place. I worked at the motel and restaurant and was a lifeguard at the pool. I would love to find some pics of the place in it's day. It has been torn down and the only thing standing is one of the lifeguard stands. So sad.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,270 times
Default Yes! I remember the swimming pool in Cloverdale!

At least, the one I remember from the late 1950s. The little Travel Town area had a restaurant/gift shop in the front. Arc-ing beside and behind it was either one continuous or two separate motels. There was a little road behind the restaurant and between the two motels leading to the swimming pool. Is that the one you're talking about? My dad managed the restaurant/gift shop for a time, and our family lived in the house that was attached to it, in the back. It was a dream time of my young life in which I could eat all 3 meals each day in the restaurant, choosing anything I wanted from its menu (and sometimes even going into the kitchen to scramble my eggs myself). I loved the soft, blue moccasins in the gift shop; and my best friend was Connie Buck, whose parents managed the motel. It was fun to go swimming whenever we wanted, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibausfa View Post

Last edited by nambarg; 03-14-2014 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add "from the late 1950s" so the original poster will know my memories are of the area 20 years earlier than hers.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveltown 2 View Post
Yes I remember it well. I spend all my teenage years there. My best friend's Grandfather and Father owned the motel, restaurant, pool, amusement park and skating rink. This was in the 60's and it was a great place. I worked at the motel and restaurant and was a lifeguard at the pool. I would love to find some pics of the place in it's day. It has been torn down and the only thing standing is one of the lifeguard stands. So sad.
I was injured at the Traveltown pool when I was 14 years old. When jumping off the high dive, a boy jumped behind me and hit me really hard. Everyone said the lifeguard jumped in and made it to me at almost the same time the boy hit me.

I must have blacked out because all I remember was a lifeguard telling me to put my arms around his neck. I next recall lying n the grass and had a severe neck pain and had tongue bleeding and chipped a tooth.

My sister' s boyfriend picked us up and my sister had to hold my head up. I had to wear a neck brace for a while.

This happened in about 1967. I have always wished I could meet that lifeguard who saved my life that day to tell him how much I appreciate him.

I just found this forum and not sure anyone is going to see this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area