Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 44,059 times

Advertisements

I am a Roanoke resident and DO want my city to grow...just not to the same level as Charlotte, Raleigh, or NOVA and chances are it never will. But it does have a lot going for it. It's naturally beautiful surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's only 20 mins from Smith Mountain Lake...which has been growing fairly progressively. A lot of New England retirees and wealthy Roanoke residents are moving out there for the lake lifestyle. I expect it to continue to boom. Roanoke is doing some good things we have an assortment of downtown living, a brand new world class art museum will be opening shortly, in 10 years or so a new medical college bearing Virginia Tech's name. Not to mention the entire region is growing very healthily Lynchburg and Blacksburg are making huge strides. And huge strides for L-burg and B-burg..mean growth for Roanoke. I think Roanoke will see a fairly strong growth spurt soon. It's a great place to raise a family and a great place to retire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 06:45 PM

430 posts, read 920,184 times
roanoke_expert,

What if none of "It's a great place to raise a family and a great place to retire!" fits my situation? Seriously, other than trash type, which is unavoidable everywhere in the world, I find Roanoke charming, I speak my mind, my apology if you feel offended.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:52 PM

430 posts, read 920,184 times
To roanoker 4,

Sorry I did not actively keep track of this thread, just noticed it, hence, late response. I thought there might a temporary solution to traffic jam to any major metro area like NoVA, that is, space out, work hour -wise, instead of the usual 9 to 5 for most incs and govs, it would help; secondly, let people do some of the work at home, given the easy availability of technology, on this part, a worker must have integrity, if the worker claims that he/she works 8 hours but actually it's 7.5 hours, it's simply wrong! The second option might be more difficult.

Thanks.

Don

Old 10-01-2007, 03:26 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,897,110 times
Default Roanoke vs Charlotte

I find it humorous that someone would try to compare the two cities. I think Charlotte is still a great place for recent college grads from our region to migrate to along with the New York/New Jersey folks. I have a relative that grew up in Roanoke and migrated to Charlotte and he loves it there. He is a big NASCAR, NFL, NBA fan and he is a strict Southern Baptist. Charlotte fits the bill for him at least.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 AM

19 posts, read 90,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I find it humorous that someone would try to compare the two cities. I think Charlotte is still a great place for recent college grads from our region to migrate to along with the New York/New Jersey folks. I have a relative that grew up in Roanoke and migrated to Charlotte and he loves it there. He is a big NASCAR, NFL, NBA fan and he is a strict Southern Baptist. Charlotte fits the bill for him at least.

I agree...Roanoke and Charlotte do not really compare. Charlotte is a wonderful bustling city, full of opportunity and growth. They have space to expand, literally. Roanoke is different, but has it's own character and charm. But quite simply, we do not have the physical room to grow as quickly. Basically it takes a bit longer to develop a mountain side than it does a more flat area like Southern NC, Charlotte area. Many people blame the Roanoke City planners and local gov't, and they can be a bit backwards at times, but Roanoke County(and surrounding counties) is where true expansion and growth can happen and it is happening, just slowly.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,288 times
Cost of living in Charlotte Charlotte is pretty but to much Traffic to Hot to Humid and way to much money to buy a darn Ice Cream Sandwich. Cost Of Living In Roanoke Roanoke is greater and better u get all seasons in 1 day The skyline is pretty the mountains and much more

Old 01-22-2016, 07:31 PM

163 posts, read 144,808 times
Our family just moved from Charlotte this past June. I'm another fan of Stevens reply. Actually both replies! He's answered your questions perfectly!

Our family originally left NJ in 2001 for Charlotte. Back in 2001 to today Charlotte has grown quite a bit and we where there to watch the big boom!! In the beginning it was exciting to watch since we felt like we moved from the city to the country. Looking back now I appreciate Charlotte for what it was for the time in my life. It fit my age. However, as time went on and we lived in the traffic, watched cookie cutter homes and stores being built I also grew out of Charlotte. Or like Steven mentioned my mindset has just changed.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:34 PM

238 posts, read 339,096 times
Agreed, the only similarity Roanoke has to Charlotte is that we are about 200 miles apart. Charlotte loves change, it has torn
down every old building and built something sleek, modern and sterile in its place. Charlotte is part of the global economy, it
is a minority/majority City, similar to Greensboro. Global cities such as Charlotte are on the business map and they continue to
become bigger as smaller cities become less important. NC takes economic development seriously.
On the flip side Roanoke has transformed its downtown of the past into something special, almost a "rebirth" of its glory days.
The "outdoor" theme and our tourism offerings are seen as positives for the livability factor for millennials seeking a better
quality of life. We are impressed with Asheville our sister mountain towns' lifestyle. Both towns are definately trying to attract
and retain more affluent residents who are supposedly to bring higher end jobs here although I think that idea is far fetched.
VA & Roanoke do not take economic development seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area