Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times

Advertisements

Hope everyone got their power back & are safe after last week's storms. While the power was out I was checking local news channels on facebook through my phone for updates on power outages. People had a lot to complain about appalachian power. Many did appreciate the linemen for risking their lives in this heat & storm for working on power lines. I was wondering if the complaints were reasonable or not? Do other cities face similar outages or its just this power company? We do have power outages here once in a while that last few hours. Is this common in other states too? Want to hear from people who have lived in other cities. Whats your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 AM

696 posts, read 1,429,596 times
A few hours, sure. But it's been 3 days and I don't expect to get power back for at least 3 more. APCO has been very stingy about information. I think that's where the resentment comes from. Other utilities have dynamic service maps on their websites showing where trucks are. APCO has an outage map but not a restoration map.

APCO updates their press release once or twice a day (last update 8:30 last night and it's 10 a.m. now!) but hasn't said anything new about restoration since early morning yesterday. This is all their website says about restoration:

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Because of new storms from today, additional outages occurred in the Wytheville and Woodlawn areas; therefore, restoration times for Carroll, Grayson, Wythe and Bland counties have changed to Friday night, July 6.Tuesday night, July 3 - Floyd County; Wednesday night, July 4 - Giles, Montgomery, Pulaski counties; Thursday night, July 5 - portions of Bedford, Franklin, Henry and Pittsylvania counties; Friday night, July 6 - Albemarle, Nelson and Patrick counties; Saturday night, July 7 - Amherst County, as well as portions of Bedford, Botetourt, Campbell Craig and Roanoke counties.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Doesn't even mention Roanoke city. (!)

I am not angry that it's probably going to take a long time. I am angry that all weekend, when it was a huge hassle to find a working radio or charge my phone or get information at all, my power company refused to share any useful information about the status of the outage or restoration efforts in my area. When I was finally able to log into their website, I learned nothing. They're a utility so they've got the monopoly, I get it. But I still resent their refusal to communicate with people who seeking valuable information.

Last edited by headnsouth; 07-02-2012 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
A few hours, sure. But it's been 3 days and I don't expect to get power back for at least 3 more. APCO has been very stingy about information. I think that's where the resentment comes from. Other utilities have dynamic service maps on their websites showing where trucks are. APCO has an outage map but not a restoration map.
Now that you mention it, I think thats exactly the source of everyone's frustration. If we go out of town or check into a hotel, we dont know how long we have to stay there. Budgeting for food, hotel without knowing the length of stay is so difficult & expensive.

I cant imagine what the infants, elderly, sick had to go through stuck inside. I hope the company would atleast give a tentative timeline by zones/areas so that we have an estimated wait time. I think their grids are distributed in a weird way. The power is not restored for entire area at once. Its intermittent. Also, I have noticed that a lot of local businesses here dont invest in a dynamic, fully functional website. Its static & information is not updated regularly. Maybe they had the info but did not have a good way to share it. There is definitely a communication gap that affects the customer relations.

The local news channels like wdbj7 & wsls10 did a wonderful job updating their facebook page to keep us informed. I got all the updates from them rather than the power company.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:53 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times
Default Power Let Down

What a horrible ordeal the past 3 days without power! I learned something from the experience in that Cox
Cable is a big joke. Not only do their phones not work, no cable as of yet and if there is internet they don't have capable technicians to fix anything. I will never get caught again with the "reliability" of Cox Communications as my only connection to the outside world!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,658,207 times
In my Seattle suburb we have twice lost power for 6 or more days due to windstorms in 10 years. People complain but it is slow hard work to restore downed lines after trees fall on them. They were working 18 hours a day and crews came from as far away as the midwest. 100's of trucks

Old 07-03-2012, 08:59 AM

I hope they move the power lines underground, like Dallas TX. We wont have any issues then.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
I was pleased with how fast they restored power and cable in the city. They're trying but I'm sure they're overwhelmed.

My major concern was that there were no radio stations announcing what was happening. That was pretty disappointing.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
My major concern was that there were no radio stations announcing what was happening. That was pretty disappointing.
Thats strange. I would expect them to make some announcements during a disaster of this proportion. They did update their facebook page night & day, which I was able to check on my phone. But about people without smartphones or no charge left on phone?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:47 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
I'm thankful to have been in the apparent minority that never lost power, but someone wrote a letter to the Roanoke Times saying the reason no one saw any AEP employees is because they were all in Richmond lobbying for higher rates...which may have been true, since the EPA boogeyman excuse is so bogus its not even funny.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
Do other cities face similar outages or its just this power company? We do have power outages here once in a while that last few hours. Is this common in other states too? Want to hear from people who have lived in other cities.
Over a thousand customers in the WashDC/MD/VA metro area are still without power more than a week later. WashDC temps have been running some 5-10 deg above the New River Valley area with heat indexes as high as 116. The storm damage here was extensive and customers are spread out between Pepco, Virginia Dominion Power and Baltimore Gas and Electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area